Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I'll save you a seat at the table!
mbmbmbmbmb
As a loyal subject to the Realm, I fought for our Kingdom!
Join me in the battle!

Which is the best Fantasy Game of all time?
On the Board Gamers Anonymous Podcast, Anthony, Chris and Drew pit 32 of the best fantasy tabletop games of all time against each other in one epic battle royale to determine which is the best (in our opinion). The full line up includes (scroll down for the podcast embed):

Group A
Mage Knight Board Game
Shadows over Camelot
Small world
Myth

Group B
War of the Ring
Game of Thrones LCG
Avalon
Lords of Waterdeep

Group C
Magic: the Gathering
Dungeon!
Battlelore 2.0
Tales of the Arabian Nights

Group D
Descent
Ascension
Talisman
Defenders of the Realm

Group E
Dungeons & Dragons
Smash up
Discworld: Ankh Morpork
Munchkin

Group F

Summoner Wars
Wiz war
D&D: Castle Ravenlof
Yggdrasil

Group G
Rune Wars
Seasons
Lord of the Rings: LCG
Cheaty Mages

Group H
Mice and Mystics
Terra Mystica
Citadels
Quarriors

Listen to the full podcast below:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/board-gamers-anonymous/?...?...
http://boardgamersanonymous.com/episode-30-world-cup-of-fant...

Get involved and tell us who YOU think should have won (or been included) in the comments below or in our guild on BoardGameGeek.com. You can also follow us on Twitter (@bgapodcast) and on Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/boardgamersanonmyous).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Game Steward
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my admittedly biased opiniong, DotR should definitely move on to the Group of 16. More broadly, Groups A and H seem like the "Groups of Death". All of those games are particularly excellent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
Check out our podcast and see how it went.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How come Tomb and Runebound aren't on this list? Tomb is my 2nd favorite fantasy game, and Runebound my 3rd. Talisman is 1st, and it is on the list.

I have played my first Defenders of the Realm game this last weekend and its good, but its below all I have listed. Tho I really like the characters. I think DotR characters are better than Runebound ones, they are more classic, but Runebound is a better game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Brunelle
United States
BURLINGTON
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
Oh, how could I stay anything but MAD over you, Cthu-ly, woo-ly, woo-woo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic Realm deserves a mention here, I think, and my personal favorite is... chess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DomaGB wrote:
How come Tomb and Runebound aren't on this list? Tomb is my 2nd favorite fantasy game, and Runebound my 3rd. Talisman is 1st, and it is on the list.

I have played my first Defenders of the Realm game this last weekend and its good, but its below all I have listed. Tho I really like the characters. I think DotR characters are better than Runebound ones, they are more classic, but Runebound is a better game.

It's a very good point. Tomb and Runebound are very good games, without the IP of the D&D board games or the marketing of a Fantasy Flight, they fell out of popular favor.

But that's what we are here to do, I'll be sure that we talk about it on the next podcast. Let me know why you feel it deserves #1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite fantasy game is Talisman. I saw it originally in a game store while serving in the military, and bought it probably the 2nd time I saw it at that store, never having played it. I owned the 2nd edition in the 80's but got rid of it, but obtained another copy in the fall of 2013. I own everything except the Dragon expansion. I bought the 4th edition around the same time and own everything for it. But had been playing it 2 years prior.

I have a lot of history with Talisman, and have been playing it with the 2 same friends since the 80's. Its a fun game. I have to admit that it's placement as favorite has much to do with nostalgia and friends. But 4th edition has refined the game. Its a game that's fun but you don't take too seriously. I don't walk away wishing I had played differently. For me its about fun and not strategy.

I cannot give statistics or well rounded logical reasons for liking it so much. It's like a relative or friend that's been around for so long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.