Popular Tags: [View All]
Eleon Forsht
United States
College Park
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I have heard (and then started using myself) the term crunchy to describe the more complex and less luck bases board games for many years, but I have of late run into a lot of people who never heard of this term.

Then I wondered where this term started to be used and if it has any stories behind it. A google search did not really turn up anything that helpful, so I come to the experts.

I figure if anyone would know it would be someone here

Where did the term "crunchy board game" come from?

Thanks,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Goch
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't heard anyone use that term but, presumably, it refers to crunching numbers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
There is no reason to have two A's at the beginning of aardvark. I simply won't do it.
mbmbmbmbmb
TheOneTrueZeke wrote:
I haven't heard anyone use that term but, presumably, it refers to crunching numbers.
Oh thank god, I was expecting it to have something to do with the term "crunch parenting" that has popped up lately. This is used to describe the people who are all about all natural childbirth, breast feeding, no immunizations, organic food, no TV, etc.

No idea what that had to do with board games so I clicked with a terrified feeling in my gut.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Not heard the term within board gaming. A BGG only search for it beings up few relevant results.

When used it appears to identify a game or mechanic that is meaty enough to 'get ones teeth into'.

Its development within political discourse in recent years irritated me, so I won't be getting onboard with its use in board games. For me, assuming my understanding is correct, it's an unnecessary abstraction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom0909
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
killerardvark wrote:
TheOneTrueZeke wrote:
Oh thank god, I was expecting it to have something to do with the term "crunch parenting" that has popped up lately. This is used to describe the people who are all about all natural childbirth, breast feeding, no immunizations, organic food, no TV, etc.

"Crunchy" = granola = hippy-ish tendencies, though perhaps the upper-middle class variant. This has been around for decades, but I've never heard it used for any board game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Jeanes
United Kingdom
Outside US or Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I came across the term crunchy in my RPG days and it referred to the heavier systems.

I'm unaware of it's origins though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rolinder Heigh
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I rather like the term "crunchy". It's better than another term I've run across for similar games, "thinky".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Haakon Gaarder
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought it was about games that make you crunch numbers, then I played against a guy who claimed it meant games where you're "playing against the players a lot"... He said he got it from Tabletop.. Starting to suspect he's wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G
United States
Franklin
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shem_Whistler wrote:
I came across the term crunchy in my RPG days and it referred to the heavier systems.

I'm unaware of it's origins though.

Ditto - referring to a RPG system with a lot of number-crunching and/or referring to a bazillion different tables for everything. If not tabletop RPGs, I'd wager the term came from wargames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Farmington
Arkansas
flag msg tools
Hobby aquariums are just like board games: except wet, fishy, and you can't play them.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
killerardvark wrote:
TheOneTrueZeke wrote:

No idea what that had to do with board games so I clicked with a terrified feeling in my gut.

As a 'crunchy' family, I'd say the only influence it has had on our board game hobby is we have always had a larger average of co-op games in our collection. So maybe you should add that to your terrifying definition of crunchy parents. But back on topic, I'd say none of our co-op games are 'crunchy' pertaining to rules and scoring features.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mbmbmbmbmb
Lyear wrote:
... I'd wager the term came from wargames.

Definitely not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:
Lyear wrote:

Definitely not.

Yeah, never heard of crunchy related to wargames, only in the upper-class hippy sense. Or crunchy like potato chips.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G
United States
Franklin
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
calandale wrote:
Lyear wrote:

Definitely not.

Yeah, never heard of crunchy related to wargames, only in the upper-class hippy sense. Or crunchy like potato chips.

Probably comes from us tabletop RPGers then. As in:

"I adore Shadowrun's lore, but that system is way too crunchy for me to totally get my head around. I'll probably hack a more rules-light system, like Fate, and just run Shadowrun in that instead."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S J
United States
Bloomington
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe I first heard the term used on Shut Up and Sit Down, and they described it as a game which had a lot of interesting decisions given to the player at once. A game that is "crunchy" is one where you have few false choices, and decisions typically differ in quality (versus just being different point values) and will greatly affect your strategy and tactics in future turns.

An example of a "crunchy" game would be Cosmic Encounter. While there are definitely times where numbers come into play, the "crunch" of the game refers to who you ally yourself with and why. Do you want to be the "fair" player of the game, letting everyone know you are a race that can be trusted to help a friend in need? Or do you want to be an isolationist, letting everyone else squabble and in-fight while you silently build your army and grind out a victory when no one is looking? Or perhaps you want to start with a strong alliance in the beginning of the game to achieve dominance, and when your ally least expects it stab them in the ba- oh wait. He just played a 1 when you played a negotiate. Did you see that, he's a filthy liar!! We should all team up and stop him from winning!!!

CE has "crunch" because your choices aren't just about numbers, but about the "role" you'll take, which greatly affects your strategy. Every option is viable in a vacuum, but what makes them interesting is that you don't know how everyone else will act or what cards they're holding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eleon wrote:
I have heard (and then started using myself) the term crunchy
I've never heard that term before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume it came from tabletop RPGs, where there is a distinction drawn between the crunch and the fluff, by analogy to some sort of smores or other pastry. The crunch is the hard mechanical side of the rules, and the fluff is the text describing the game world and its concepts. Crunchy games have lots of mechanical complexity and often barebones background, while fluffy games have deep, rich worlds and often simple, streamlined rules. It's possible for a game to be both crunchy and fluffy at the same time if it's got lots of both (like, say, Exalted).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Never heard it regarding boardgames. I hope it doesn't catch on, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Schulman
Brazil
Belo Horizonte
Minas Gerais
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Never heard it before. Now, I hear "meaty" all the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
@TaintedDragonInn
badge
www.TaintedDragonInn.com
mbmbmbmbmb
So, what DOES it mean? I never heard it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .

Apex
North Carolina
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
yeah ... they should find a more "elegant" way to express themselves... hehe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Yaure
United States
Plymouth Meeting
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember hearing my oldest son use the term apprimately 4-6 years ago. I believe it referred to something complex that you could really bite into. He used it for boardgames, but also for other items. I will ask him if he remembers using it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin S.
United States
Wautoma
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
In RPGs and Wargames (especially 40k/fantasy) there are terms crunch and fluff. Fluff is the lore and the creative side of the game: the characters, factions, setting, and world building elements. The crunch is the game itself: game rules, army rules, points values/costs etc. some players enjoy the games for the fluff, some for the crunch only, and most for both.

In wargames you often hear people talk about fluffy players or crunchy players as in people who play the game mainly for the stories they create, and those that play for pure competition. The two camps often don't see eye to eye.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dogfish_Head wrote:

In wargames you often hear people talk about fluffy players or crunchy players as in people who play the game mainly for the stories they create, and those that play for pure competition. The two camps often don't see eye to eye.

Never heard that - though a wargaming mate of mine in Australia called games like Modern Art "fluffy games".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mb
Never heard the term in the context of boardgames until this thread.

First heard it in the context of "hippy" tendencies in the mid-90s when I was in my early 20s.

If someone called a boardgame "crunchy," until today I would've thought it meant an alternative, all-natural, "green" boardgame. That didn't shave its legs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't bite into crunchy things!! Stop saying that if that's the analogy anyone is going for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.