tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin S.
United States
Wautoma
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
It's especially used in minis games like 40k, warhammer fantasy, Infinity, Malifaux, Warmachine etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dogfish_Head wrote:
It's especially used in minis games like 40k, warhammer fantasy, Infinity, Malifaux, Warmachine etc.

Funny, I demo'd, playtested, gmae design support, and ran a convention that focused mainly on miniature games for 10 years and never ran across that term.

So, it must be a VERY recent term as I've been mostly board gaming for a little while now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Digging more into the past, it looks like the terms crunch and fluff were in use in RPG discussions for at least a decade to means "rules bits" and "setting bits", with the earliest explanation I've found from 2004:

http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?138296-Special-language-...

The earliest uses I've found are from 2002:

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?118201-Scarred-L...
http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?118094-d20-Call-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a rpg term? Ick! It's got cooties! I'm not using it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dart
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
"In the beginning, the Earth was without form, and void."
badge
"O I know justice, it's a birthright if you're born right"
mbmbmbmbmb
How interesting. I'm surprised so many people hadn't heard it used like that before. And I'm not from an RPG or minis background. Maybe I did get it from SU&SD but don't remember it.

Before reading this thread I'd have said it referred to a game you could get your teeth into. Not simple or smooth, but in a satisfying way. A game with substance.

I like the parallels people are drawing with 'number crunching', but I'd have said it's more about decision crunching than numerical calculations. A game you can get invested in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mb
mjdart wrote:

Before reading this thread I'd have said it referred to a game you could get your teeth into. Not simple or smooth, but in a satisfying way. A game with substance.

I've always said (and read on BGG) "meaty" for that characteristic.
Also, "Gamer's game."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg S.
United States
North Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think of crunchy as a term describing food. So I would assume a game is crunchy if it has a lot of plastic pieces. Plastic pieces would crunch (like pretzel nuggets) while cardboard bits wouldn't (like brownies, assuming they are made correctly).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Iachini
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Like others, I'll agree that this is a term that has migrated in from the world of RPGs.

My feeling on the origins of the term "crunch" or "crunchy" in RPGs is that "fluff" came first. As in the "fluff text" describing the background world and character motivations and such in an RPG adventure.

If you're writing content for an RPG, you can write "fluff" if you want - setting material, straight-up fiction, etc. And my feeling is that "fluff" came about first in isolation to describe these elements that don't directly tie in to the rules of the game.

My guess is that people came up with the term "crunch" as a counterpoint to "fluff." So, if you read an adventure that's all stat blocks and character class rules and such, there's no fluff; it's all crunch.

Just a guess, based on how I've seen fluff and crunch used in RPG forums.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Doe
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
It just means a game that gets your brain crunching, like "crunch time."

I first heard the term on Shut Up & Sit Down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eleon Forsht
United States
College Park
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ChaosAndAlchemy wrote:
Like others, I'll agree that this is a term that has migrated in from the world of RPGs.

My feeling on the origins of the term "crunch" or "crunchy" in RPGs is that "fluff" came first. As in the "fluff text" describing the background world and character motivations and such in an RPG adventure.

If you're writing content for an RPG, you can write "fluff" if you want - setting material, straight-up fiction, etc. And my feeling is that "fluff" came about first in isolation to describe these elements that don't directly tie in to the rules of the game.

My guess is that people came up with the term "crunch" as a counterpoint to "fluff." So, if you read an adventure that's all stat blocks and character class rules and such, there's no fluff; it's all crunch.

Just a guess, based on how I've seen fluff and crunch used in RPG forums.

This is the origins I think best fits how it came into board games. I can totally see people saying "fluff" games, and thus was born a way to describe the inverse, and the term "crunch" game to be.

It is also likely that people have a memory of it from RPG as well, so the term would fit well.

I also like the RPG description of Fluff being for background and then Crunchy being used for mechanics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.