Thumb up
1 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: My Canada Day weekend haul rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Peddle
flag msg tools
Happy Canada Day to all my fellow Canadians. Great weekend in toronto this weekend. Gay Pride weekend going on. And while I am not gay, I embrace the right for anyone to celebrate something unique about themselves. Thus I celebrated being a board gamer this weekend.

Now, if you don`t like long winded stories, leave now. But if you like to read about other peoples game buying experiences, read on.

Myself, and two of my friends took a trip into Toronto (about 30 minute drive as I live in the GTA) to check out 401games on Yonge St.

So we hopped on the subway from York Mills station and headed on down.

But before we got there we stopped into the Silver Snail, which I hadn`t been to in ages, and since they moved locations. Awesome nerding out store. Life size Spiderman hanging upside down in the stairwell entrance. They have some games, but are not priced as competitively as the primary gaming store.

Then we heard that the Hairy Tarantual was having a big weekend board game sale, so we headed there next. This is your old fashion dank type of hole in the wall store. But what it lacked in looks it made up for in charm. Cramped space, wall to wall games, and nice staff. Because this was the start of the day, I didn't buy much. I picked up the simple card game Coup for $11 (tax in).

By two buddies that are also into comic books and graphic novels had already spent good money on these, and were getting frustrated that I had only spent $11. I ensured them, my wallet would be empty at the end of the day.

One game I did notice at the Tarantual was Defenders of the Realm. But I held off buying it before I hit the next store.

So we arrived at 401games. Great, up to date, store, very very clean, and LOTS of games. So started my search. I went into the day with a list of games that was topped with Kemet and Space Cadets Dice duel. Unfortunately for me, Kemet was sold out. So I started to wander and gaze at different games. I must have had a dozen change hands with me.

Had a great talk with Dillon, and Jamie (I believe), who liked a lot of the same games I do. The topic of Zombicide came up, which I have played numerous times. I asked about Omega Protocol (Level 7), and they both loved it. Similar setup to Zombicide with preset missions on a predetermined board, but said the overall experience was different from Zombicide as it was more tactical. Since OP was on my list, I grabbed it. A bit of an expensive game at $65, but I trust I will enjoy it.

I also had Ghost Stories in my hand as I read great things about it. I also love a challenging or hard coop game. But my buddy started slagging on it because he heard it was so hard that it wasn't fun. Since he is part of my primary gaming group, I held off for now as I want to table things we will all enjoy. Plus, two other games on my list were list higher, so I thought no big deal.

So it came down to Space Cadets Dice Duel, and Summoner Wars Master Set. Again, after talking to Dillon and Jamie, I ended up with Summoners Wars. I think it will be a good addition as I don't have any games directly designed for 2 players. Though I really enjoy Smallworld playing only two players.

The only game I saw there that I have had trouble tracking down, and the 401games did have, was Police Precinct. But nobody that worked at 401games had played it, so it remains on my list.

So that was the end of 401games, and I was pretty tapped out of spendable money. But I really wanted to go back and grab Defenders of the Realm. Not only because another friend of my recommended it, but, on previous hunts for it, I realized it is hard to find, and not cheap. Lowest available price I could find it was online at around $130 tax in, plus shipping. That is way to much for a game.

But the Tarantual had it tagged at $88.50 and were having a 40% off sale. Making it $60 tax in. But alas, I didn't get back to grab it.

After I got home, I got talking to my friend about DoTR and where I found it and the price. He told me I should have grabbed it. But since he works down the street, he said if I wanted it, he would grab it for me. Awesome.

So my haul for the weekend was:

Omega Protocol
Summoner Wars: Master Set
Defenders of the Realm

Still on my ever growing list: Kemet, Space Cadets: Dice Duel, Ghost Stories, Police Precinct, Flashpoint, Twilight Struggle, Alien Frontiers.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.