Thumb up
1 Posts

War of the States: Gettysburg, 1863» Forums » General

Subject: "both sides of a counter" issue rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lance Wilkinson

msg tools
Poor production quality and planning creates numerous problems during play -- such as needing both sides of a particular counter at the same time!!

This issue has come up in two of the game comments and on one of the geeklists referencing this game.

Let me be a bit prolix (but comprehensive) in examining the issue a little more closely, as at first it dissuaded me from purchasing the game. This game might not be for you, but this issue shouldn't be the reason.

It's true that this could happen--it is possible that one could need both sides of the same counter at the same time.

However, I wonder how often it does happen, as the designers have taken steps to mitigate the problem.

In a game of some 50-60 units, there are two units which have a counter step that is shared with another unit:

1st Div, VI Corps, "Wright" division, step I

1st Corps, "Heth-1" division, step E

The Wright step I can be found on the back any of these three counters:

E-step of II Corps Divisions (Caldwell 1/II, Gibbon 2/II, or Hays 3/II).

The Heth-1 step E can be found on the back of any of these five counters:

1st Corps, McLaws-1, E Step
1st Corps, Hood-2, E Step
2nd Corps, Johnson-1, E Step
2nd Corps, Rodes-1, E Step
3rd Corps, Heth-2, E Step

Perhaps it would have been better to have dropped these two unit's steps, but the mitigating steps seems to be a fair compromise to me.

All of these counter-sides are the last (weakest) long infantry step for the unit in question. In order to have a conflict, the Union player would need to have 4 units near the end of their line, the CSA player 6. I wonder how often this happens. (If this happens to the CSA player, I think it's probably a sign he should resign anyway.)

Now, one might find that having each unit represented by 5-7 counters' worth of steps to be far too fiddly to be worth it. Ok. But then *that's* the flaw, I think, rather than the possibility of conflicting counters. And this flaw afflicts an entire series:

If you're going to play games in this series, esp. games with > 100 counters such as the two Civil War games in this series, or Eagles of the Empires games, you really need a good counter tray or a Plano 3701.

You can use these to sort each unit's counters into its own receptacle, making them easy to find during set up and after step-losses during combat.

(BTW I love Plano 3701's for holding counters. They're about 1 3/8" deep and each row has rounded 'corners' so its easy even for the fat fingered to slide a counter up out of the well without dog-earing it.

They're cheap, too--maybe $4-$5 at a store like Basspro that stocks a lot of fishing gear.)
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.