Subject: Exposing The Traitor rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
johnny Williams
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you guys play your games, do you ever expose the traitor. I think the traitor causes to much dmg once exposed, so i never use a turn to reveal them even if i'm almost 100% sure i know who it is. Once they are exposed they lay down a seige engine every turn, game soon over. If they are not exposed they can only hender us through card manipulation. What say you on traitor, do you expose or not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't the traitor just expose himself anyway?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Hidden Traitor = 2 Swords flipped to Black when game ends (i.e. you need to have FIVE White Swords more than Black ones to win, rather than just one). Besides, he can hoard good cards in hand ("Merlin", "Heroism", etc.) that you'll never be able to see and play. And he could occupy Solo Quests to prevent you from winning them. He can also place a Catapult as his Evil Action during each of his turns, if he wants to do so.
A revealed Traitor can be damaging, but an unreavealed Trator is even MORE damaging! Besides, the "right" accusation grants you an extra White Sword.

galeninjapan wrote:

No (unless he plays the "Fate" card for this purpose).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Walton
United States
Springfield
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
galeninjapan wrote:

Only if he never wants to be invited back to game night... shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
C.H.A.D. wrote:
galeninjapan wrote:

Only if he never wants to be invited back to game night... shake

Depends on who was playing the traitor...surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Hall
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
Luke the Flaming wrote:
A revealed Traitor can be damaging, but an unreavealed Trator is even MORE damaging! Besides, the "right" accusation grants you an extra White Sword.

I don't think an unrevealed traitor is usually more damaging than a revealed traitor except for the two-sword flip at the end of the game. So, I generally won't attempt to accuse the traitor until very close to the end of the game. Even then, I may not, because often we reach a point where no accusations leads to a certain win, but wrong accusations risk defeat, so I'll ignore the traitor on the off-chance that I'd wrong.

There are exceptions, though, such as if I think the traitor is hoarding cards we desperately need or if he is about to dump low cards on the Dragon (when we intend to complete the Dragon quest).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Hartstein
United States
North Plainfield
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I generally hold off on accusing even an obvious traitor until very shortly before the game ends as well. There's generally more damage they can do in the end-game by taunting than they can do on the board: Occupying the one remaining solo quest is irrelevant, we're never trying to complete it. There are few other places playing a white card will meaningfully make things worse for us (Dragon, occasionally). Any cards in their hand are unlikely to come into any of our hands anyway.

Exceptions: If I don't know that Fate is safe from them, the risk they might get it and escape is important. If they haven't made their one (wrong) accusation yet, it might be worth accusing them to prevent them from getting that sword flip in. (But then, if they haven't accused or used Fate, they're probably not obvious enough for me to be confident in accusing.) We actually need that white sword in order to win. They have the opportunity to complete a Quest and end the game prematurely (such as finding the Grail and filling up the table without enough of a lead for us to survive the two sword flip).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh you seekers of the new who run terrified from history into the clutches of an eternal life where no electric shaver can be built to last.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
    An unexposed traitor is only more dangerous if he's aware that everyone is on to him. If you keep it under your hat until the end of the game, he needs to be at least a little bit careful, which will lessen his damage a bit.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
imo, i think it depends on who the traitor is.

a hidden traitor still has to do good. at least in my group, it's difficult to be the traitor b/c your every move is scrutinized. However, if the traitor is really malicious one, you may want to expose them sooner than later to keep them from stock up good white cards and wasting your efforts.

i would agree that exposing them near the end of the game so as to NOT turn the swords.

of course our group has never won a game that had a traitor in it. so you may want to take my opinions with a grain of salt...however your question is certainly a valid one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.