Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Michaud
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
(Since I'm going away for the 4th of July, this week's episode is out a bit early! Enjoy!)

Let the wondrous, futuristic technology of magnetic tape transmitting images into a cathode ray tube transport you into the world of Isaac Asimov's Robots! In this deduction game, players take the role of futuristic gumshoes solving an attempted murder. Pay close attention to the VHS tape as well as randomly drawn clues to figure out whotriedtodunit. Was it a filthy "Earther," filled with discontent about their living conditions and a hatred of the sun, or was it a smug "Spacer," living in their ivory tower in the stars with their better robots and their extreme germophobia? Plus, in the Battle of Wits, we try to figure out which Asimov plotline is real, and which is a futuristic fantasy.

http://tableflipsyou.blogspot.com/2014/07/episode-57-isaac-a...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Monroe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sweet. I own a copy of this, but have never gotten around to playing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chip Beauvais
United States
Maynard
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there!
If you have any questions about the contest mentioned at the start of this episode, please feel free to ask on this forum or geek-mail me.

Thanks,
.chip
Designer of ChromaCubes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt McMahon
United States
Warrenton
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Anyone know what the long string of alpha numeric at the end of the episode?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Briel
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Hey! Look over there! --------->
mbmbmbmbmb
I won't let you down by telling you but I think you should just roll with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Guida
United States
Gwynn Oak
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Curse you and your secret codes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flip Florey
United States
Brewer
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
burke4865 wrote:

Your cursing fills my heart with glee.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Preston
United States
Fremont
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
burke4865 wrote:

It's not a secret...just ascii and ye shall receive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Rogers
United States
Thousand Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How could Barter AND Roger both pick the plot to Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure?

Well played Chris, well played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Super Sarp
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Got a good laugh out of the secret code at the end of the episode. You got me good. Thanks for including that.

I listen to your podcast on the Dice Tower Network feed on the Stitcher app. I would like to add your podcast with its own feed to my play list so there is no chance of me missing a new episode. Would you guys be interested in adding your podcast to Stitcher?

Thanks a lot for such an entertaining show.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Michaud
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're not the first to ask about Stitcher! I'd definitely like to get our feed on there...pure laziness has been the only obstacle. But soon. Promise!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Miller
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just one query about improving the game - With modern smartphone and dvd playing technology, surely you could integrate the clues (In all difficulties) into the video itself, removing the need for anything but the film?

I'm not necessarily saying this would be an improvement, mind, I'm just thinking the opposite direction is also possible from the direction you guys went.

...I can't help but think that using I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream and Enders Game as the basis of the two bluffs in the vacuum cleaner round may have been a strategic error, though there was a lot of going with non-Asimov but real plots throughout and it worked for Chris at the end of the game, so...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Miller
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FlyingSheep wrote:
Hi there!
If you have any questions about the contest mentioned at the start of this episode, please feel free to ask on this forum or geek-mail me.

Thanks,
.chip
Designer of ChromaCubes

Can you ship the copy outside of the US, and if so would that involve ridiculous customs fees?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Michaud
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As I understand it, yes to both. Not sure how much the customs fees would be, but international entrants are responsible for any appropriate fees. Am I right on this, Chip?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Michaud
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
(enter anyway. This game is awesome.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Franklin
United States
Vale
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Best Battle of Wits in a while!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CWM
United States
Quincy
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FranklinT wrote:
Best Battle of Wits in a while!

Agreed! That was a lot of fun. I've actually been getting into reading a lot of Asimov's short stories recently as was able to correctly pick a few of those answers! I even instantly recognized the plot to "I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream" and knew it was Prof. Lazerbook's entry. This was a really fun episode for me all around.

More BalderBANCE! It was awesome in the Bionic Special as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Counter
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
R. Daneel Olivaw did it! Every crime...

As a huge sci-fi fan (mostly Philip K Dick and some Asimov among others), I just "read" via audiobook, Caves of Steel, and this game is obviously derived from that. The VHS tape obviously was not needed, really, but I was cautiously optimistic...before finding out this was simple deduction that could be played on cards with a little extra detail as an epilogue. Fun to listen to though and enjoyed the Battle of Twits. 8P

As per the Secret Code ring I got out of the Cap'n Crunch box to solve, should I now consider myself Olivaw-rolled?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ms Dew
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay for an awesome episode and a hope of things to come at next year's SnowCon! Will have to look up the MST3K episode that was referenced. Does anyone have a clue of how many VCR games were made? Are there some titles that are super rare?

Totally agree with others that Balderbance is totally rad for Battle of Wits. I'm finally inspired to read a used copy of Assimov stories I picked up awhile ago. However, after today's purchase of a used copy of Fantasy Freaks and Gaming Geeks by Ethan Gilsdorf.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Briel
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Hey! Look over there! --------->
mbmbmbmbmb
This probably isn't exhaustive, but should be pretty all-encompassing:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgamefamily/7335/vcr-board-...

Not sure on the rarity. The fewer people that have VCRs the more scarce these will become I'm sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt McMahon
United States
Warrenton
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
univac528 wrote:
burke4865 wrote:

It's not a secret...just ascii and ye shall receive.

42 61 6E 63 65 21 0D 0A
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chip Beauvais
United States
Maynard
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that's correct. I'd be happy to mark it as a gift, if that would help. I'm not familiar with the rules around custom fees.

.chip

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes this is obviously based on the
Caves of Steel
The Naked Sun
The Robots of Dawn
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Counter
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rmartinc wrote:
Caves of Steel
The Naked Sun
The Robots of Dawn

Not knowing it was part of a series, I started with Robots of Dawn. As I mentioned, I just finished Caves of Steel on audiobook. However, I have been unable to find Naked Sun on Audible. I have it off of Bard (service for us blindies), but I usually listen to audiobooks over lunch while walking a track at work, and the Bard player is *huge* and can't walk wirh it. I am hopeful Naked Sun eventually males it to Audible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
heymondo wrote:
rmartinc wrote:
Caves of Steel
The Naked Sun
The Robots of Dawn

Not knowing it was part of a series, I started with Robots of Dawn. As I mentioned, I just finished Caves of Steel on audiobook. However, I have been unable to find Naked Sun on Audible. I have it off of Bard (service for us blindies), but I usually listen to audiobooks over lunch while walking a track at work, and the Bard player is *huge* and can't walk wirh it. I am hopeful Naked Sun eventually males it to Audible.

There is also a short story with these characters set in the future, but I don't remember what that is called.

Asimov really ties all of his work together, he includes references to legends in future books that are references to his earlier works. In one of his SciFi books he brings up a "black widow society" which was the group his short story mystery collections.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.