Subject: Two-player session rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff M
United States
Bethesda
Maryland
flag msg tools
The key to the treasure is the treasure.
The wife and I tried Fiasko for the first time last night. It's an interesting press-your-luck filler with some clever twists. Choosing when to score is a multi-factor analysis: you're estimating whether to press your luck a little further to maximize scoring for a given good, but you're also analyzing whether you can win the bonus points for that good and when you should shoot forward and try to end the game. In addition, you have to stay tight with your opponent so that he or she doesn't end the game before you've had a chance to score for as many goods as possible.

In our game, I scored my first good -- sardines -- too fast, allowing my wife to clobber me with an unbeatable combination of slightly outdoing me on the sardines, and whallopping me on the good she was already accumulating (milk). In an attempt to gain back the momentum, I pressed my luck a little too far twice, losing two nice hands. From there, my wife easily expanded her lead, taking 3 of the 5 goods, and tying the fourth good. She beat me by about 200 points.

The game plays fast, and involves some light decision-making mixed with a good dollop of luck. We both thought it played very well as a two-player game; you can track and respond to your opponent quite well. I'm interested to see how well the game works with more players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.