Popular Tags: [View All]
P S
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everybody!

While playing this game right now for the first time, a first rule question came up.

The rules say that in the combat phase (not exploitation), "every active unit adjacent to an enemy unit must attack and every unit which is adjacent to an active unit must be attacked." So far so good!

For example, a german unit stack facing three adjacent soviet unit stacks; Do I really have to attack (as the german player) all these three enemy units?? If yes... gosh! :-D

Thus there aren`t any limitations on attacking a single unit, are there?

I see, if I take the rules verbatim, it`s quite simple.. But it`s so strange for me, because so I can`t only attack on a small section of the enemy front line!

I hope, I`m not confusing and you`ll state me the correct interpretation!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Taylor
United States
under surveillance
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PS wrote:
For example, a german unit stack facing three adjacent soviet unit stacks; Do I really have to attack (as the german player) all these three enemy units?? If yes... gosh! :-D

That's the way I've always played it. And you're correct in your assessment, although I'd say "Wow!"

This is why some claim that this game seems more like WW1 than WW2 -- since you're not able to choose a Schwerpunkt until the Exploitation phase. What this actually means is that you must choose where to manifest your major efforts and place your best units there, leaving other units (weak infantry) to perform what used to be known as "low-odds attacks" or "soak-off attacks." So concentration of force in this game's combat phase is still possible, but often comes with a heavy price tag!

Hope this helps and that you enjoy this nifty little game!

TT
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P S
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, now I understand these "this-game-resembles-WW1" complainings! :-D
Perhaps a house-rule can change a bit in gameplay here!

Thank you for your answer!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.