Subject: Two-player Session rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff M
United States
Bethesda
Maryland
flag msg tools
The key to the treasure is the treasure.
My wife and I broke out Le Mur de Pise for the first time this week. It's a simple balancing game where players attempt to build a wall from a variety of slippery wooden pieces. Placement involves a mix of dexterity and strategy. The strategy is deciding which of your pieces to play and where to ensure that the wall does not collapse and that it is not easy to build on.

In our game, beginner's luck bolstered us and my wife and I turned out to be pretty good builders. My wife was only forced to take three pieces from two falls, and I didn't need to take any. We were amazed that some of the placements managed to stay upright; the final wall was an impressive sight.

We both enjoyed the game. It took about 15 minutes and made a nice light start to the evening. My wife said she liked the game better than most dexterity games because it gave you the sense of constructing something together. The pieces are also quite nice, with well-chosen shapes and a pleasant wood stain.

Of note, we played on a table with a tablecloth. This meant that the bottom pieces did not slide very much. If we had played on a slippery surface, it's likely that some bottom pieces might have slid a bit to the side during some of the placements. There's nothing in the rules that addresses this situation. I would imagine we would not consider a slide to be a fall, but does anyone have a house rule to cover sliding bottom pieces?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jm100 wrote:
Of note, we played on a table with a tablecloth. This meant that the bottom pieces did not slide very much. If we had played on a slippery surface, it's likely that some bottom pieces might have slid a bit to the side during some of the placements. There's nothing in the rules that addresses this situation. I would imagine we would not consider a slide to be a fall, but does anyone have a house rule to cover sliding bottom pieces?

I think there is already a rule in the game that covers that possibility:

Remarque: Si la pose d'un bloc en déplace d'autres sans les faire tomber sur la table, le mur reste dans cette nouvelle position.

Translation:
Note: If the bricks already in the wall shift position while a new brick is being placed, but do not fall down, the wall remains in the new position.

The idea is this makes it all the harder for the next player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.