Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy Shelton
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a question about a recent LOTR game my wife and I played. It was actually our first game and we made it to the last scenario. I am playing as Frodo, my wife as Sam. Sam is the current ringbearer. We are a few steps from Mt. Doom and I am the active player. I use a Gandalf card to look at the top 3 cards on the draw pile & rearrange them. Bad news, they all result in our defeat (for various reasons) on Sam's turn, so I have to act now. I use another Gandalf card to move forward and then the Gollum movement card to get to the last space on the track before the separated space where the ring is thrown in. I throw the die for using the Gollum card, and move 1 corruption space (no problem). At the end of the track is the die symbol, so I roll the die. It comes up discard 2 cards. I don't have two cards, so I'm out. My question is, does being on the last space on the track mean I am now AT Mt. Doom to throw in the ring? In other words, does my die roll on that last space represent my attempt to throw in the ring or does it represent something to do at that space and succeed at BEFORE I get to try and attempt throwing in the ring? We interpreted it as my try at throwing in the ring, which failed. So Sam tries and succeeds. So are they singing songs about our exploits now back in the Shire laugh or is Sauron laughing at our false victory? devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the square on the last space is getting the ring TO Mount Doom. If the Ringbearer survives after this die roll, you put the Ring onto the volcano space. If the die roll kills the Ringbearer, the game ends; you lose.

If the ringbearer survived and you put the ring onto the volcano, you then try to destroy it. The Ringbearer then rolls the die (if he rolled to put it there in the first place, this means he'll roll a second time). If he survives THIS roll, you win. If not, he dies, but the next player get's a chance to destroy it. He rolls a die. If he survives, you win. If not, he also dies. This continues for each player in turn until either you win, or everyone is dead.

I hope this helps

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Slaven
United States
Sioux City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you're interpreting this wrong, but in this particular case it made no difference. The space you have a question about is a space that has to be resolved before you can attempt to destroy the ring. Once the quest has survived this space (if they do), then the ring is placed on Mt. Doom and players attempt to destroy it starting with the active player. This would have been you if you had still been in the game, but since you were, like, totally corrupted your wife tries to destroy it. And she succeeded, so you really did save humanity. As well as Elfity, Dwarfity, Hobbitty, and Entity.

Note, however, that if you had been the ringbearer, you would have lost the game, since you were eliminated on the very last regular space.

Incidentally, a more detailed version of the rules (with numerous useful examples!) can be found at http://freespace.virgin.net/chris.lawson/rk/lotr/faq.htm .

Anyway, I think I'm right about all this. If I'm not, I'm sure somebody will correct me.

--Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.