Hide
4 Posts

Zombies!!!» Forums » Variants

Subject: Zombies!!! A Definitive Variant v0.1 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Reeves
msg tools
This variant is meant for the base game Zombies!!! Second Edition. The expansion packs have not been taken into consideration, however at a later date I will try to find a way to get expansions working with this variant, through a separate sheet, changing this sheet, or maybe making a errata.

Some of the ideas and mechanics are my own, however a lot of them are from other peoples variants on this forum and elsewhere, it just happens that they solve the problems that need to be solved in my opinion. The PDF is merely a rough draft hence v0.1 and any changes you want to make, feel free to do so(play the game how you want) but also leave some of your suggestions and changes on the thread, and if suitable I will try to incorporate them into v0.2.

The aim of this variant is to provide a good clean set of changes and new rules/mechanics to the original game to make the overall experience smoother and closer to zombie lore. I want to end up creating a complete sheet of rules that can literally be used instead of the sheet in the box as well as being accessible to everyone.

So having played second edition (with and without some of the expansions) with family as well as with my local war-gaming group I realized a few reoccurring problems with some of the game mechanics depending on who I played with as well as problems when playing with both.

First, I realized during mid-end game map tiles became a bit of a chore, sometimes they were forgotten to be drawn and things got clunky, placing tiles in a random untouched place of the map. So I included the exploration tile placement that many people recommend, and it seems to do the job nicely. Basically, instead of drawing a tile at the start of the turn, you reach the end of the map and draw and place a new tile in front of you.

Next up was weapons. Weapon cards are kept separate from the event cards. Event cards work as usual. Weapons however have to be looted. When you enter, say, the fire station. you can roll, on a 4+ you get the fire axe.

What I think is the most major addition to this version is re-imagining of the bullet mechanics and the inclusion of a gun noise system. Ranged attacks are now allowed and noise affects zombie movement. All is explained in the .pdf.

This is just v0.1 and the pdf isn't the most concise, but as more things are changed I hope to clean it up heavily, I've used sentences from the original ruleset just to get a structure down. I imagine in time the whole thing will be rewritten clearly in my own words. Hopefully you can be my minions and test some of these changes and improve on them.

EDIT:The file has been approved for the list. So if you were worried to get the PDF via dropbox, here's your chance to get it.
Zombies!!! A Definitive Variant v0.1

Things To Look At
The noise system needs a bit of a look at, I originally thought all zombies within 3x3 tiles around the player. Another option was to move D6*2. I will have a look at this a bit more and try out different things.
As always, let me know if something works for you.

The Future
Some form of trait system
Exp
Revamp death mechanics
Co-op "mode"
Optimize movement to make games a bit more streamlined
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Riddle

Oklahoma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking forward to the ideas and files to be approved

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian K
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you use an extra bullet to improve your roll for a ranged attack also?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Reeves
msg tools
I recently had a game without being able to use bullets to modify ranged, but I don't see why not. I would say however 4+ squares is still an auto miss, just to stop people using bullets to pull off rather broken ranged attacks. Ill look into it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.