Popular Tags: [View All]
Gary James
United Kingdom
Lincoln
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently went trekking and camping in Norway. A couple of times we saw an outdoor dexterity game being played. It seemed to involve each player (of two) standing up a set of blocks and then throwing sticks at each others pieces and trying to knock them over. In the centre of the playing area was a larger castle shaped wooden piece, though I don't know what part it played.

Any ideas?

Gary

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
Kubb!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Weimer
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I found it!

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/23953

(Sorry. Couldn't resist.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary James
United Kingdom
Lincoln
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kubb - that's it! Thanks.

Gary

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Schulzetenberg
United States
Albuquerque
NM
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I saw this thread, I expected there to be a boat, nudity, and a copy of Settlers involved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Barkå
Sweden
Solna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A brittish site about Kubb:

http://www.kubb.co.uk/

Be aware that there are multiple variations on the rules. If you are to play Kubb with a stranger here in Sweden, you better make sure you use the same rules *before* starting the game

We always jokingly cite the "Official international rules from Gotland" when playing. I actually do not like the game, but if you plan to spend some time with an average group of Swedes during the summer, you will have to participate sooner or later

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Barkå
Sweden
Solna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After reading the site closer, there actually seems to be a set of "official World Championship Rules". At least they describe the game the way I have always played it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Gustav Bernadotte
Sweden
flag msg tools
You don't realise how lucky you were to get off their hook so easily, Gary. Curiosity killed the cat though. Go no further!

Take a native Scandinavian's word of advice and stay away from Kubb. It is an evil, evil game. Although of unknown origin, respected historians have tied it to paganism, witchcraft, death cults, human sacrifice and general nastiness. That must have been a long time ago, it's just a game, you might say. But the Kubb sect and the grey eminences behind it are still among us, pulling strings everywhere. Trust me on this. They hold Scandinavia in an iron grip today and are slowly spreading their tentacles across the world.

What are the early warning signs that you are being approached by the Kubb sect? Let's say you make friends with some Scandinavians. People from that region are typically outdoorsy, so one day they might invite you to a "picnic". They will tell you that you will get to meet some "friends" of theirs and that you will all have a good time in the sun. Sounds innocent enough? Well, that's how they reel you in.

Once at the picnic, watch closely for covered picnic baskets containing long, solid objects (that aren't obvious wine bottles) underneath the cloth. Or any other suspicious-looking container that might hold the dreaded Kubb set. As soon as you think you may have spotted a possible Kubb set, run. Don't think twice. Just run.

If you don't, the followers of the Kubb sect will first stuff you with coldcuts and pour beer or wine down your neck to numb your judgement. Then suddenly one of them will go "Hey, what about a game of Kubb, everybody?", trying to make it sound spontaneous and cheerful. And the others go "Yeah, that would be great fun!" As if they hadn't planned it all along. As if you weren't the actual center of attention and the underlying reason for their so-called picnic in the first place. Then they proceed to persuade you into your virgin game.

After that there is no getting out. Like me, you may hate Kubb from the very first moment you pick up one of those Kubb sticks of death and destruction, or it will take some time. But it's too late in either case. In their eyes you have already sold your soul and are now one of them. It won't be long until they "invite" you to the next game. And the second time they may not ask nicely...

So don't come back later and tell me I didn't warn you. Stay away from Kubb! If you as a gamer must necessarily loiter in public places, you should walk the narrow path and play boules instead.

Regards,

a deprogrammed Kubb victim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.