Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mo Carlson
United States
Unspecified
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
After purchasing Wildlife online today I looked at its weight and noticed it’s average was 3.34. While I don’t have a problem with heavier games, the group I play with mostly likes light/medium light games like Ticket to Ride. When reading the reviews of Wildlife I thought it seem like it would medium weight game, so I bought it before looking at its weight category. Its rating seems to make it lean towards the medium heavy category.

My question is this: what particular aspects of this game make it heavier then, say, something like Mammoth Hunters (which my group will play). So while I wait for it to arrive it the mail, I am just trying to figure out if I’ll be able to pull this game out with my current group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a pretty typical Kramer game - non-trivial scoring, complex interaction rules, lots of glorious conflict.

I really like WildLife but I've found it very hard to find people who want to play it. It also plays best with the full compliment of six people, otherwise you end up with niche 'holes'. It would probably play reasonably well with exactly half of that (3) as long as you all chose non-adjacent species, but I haven't done that (but I just had that idea and I'm now keen to try it).

I wouldn't call it a light game at all, however your group might still like it. Make sure you know the rules well beforehand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The fans of the lighter games in our club like it (or more accurately the folks that dislike the tough cutthroat games still like it). I think it's because it's too hard to see who is winning for beginning players so no one will feel like they are loosing until the scoring actually happens and surprises everyone.

But watch out for analysis paralysis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Sweet
United States
Geneva
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone who plays with Ray, it's one of my favorite games. Moreover, my 10 year old son loves the game and actually won a 6 player game we did at Origins this year.
I think the reason it goes to the heavy side is all the choices you can make on a turn, but a turn is actually very simple - play 2 cards and auction one, unless you have special abilities.
It's a great game so have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mo Carlson
United States
Unspecified
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for all the input. From the feedback here, it sounds like my group will like it. I was just worried that there were some difficult rules or concepts to grasp; if it just that there is a lot of choices, that will go over well.

Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.