Subject: Session Report rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
BGG Admin
United States
Unspecified
Texas
flag msg tools
After a round of Settlers of Catan Nick suggested we play a round of Go. It had been quite some time since my last game of Go and was rather concerned about the rust I'd bring into it, but Go is a beautiful game to play when winning or losing so not so much of a worry.

We played on a 13 x 13 board (not to the level to even attempt a full sized board) and I got first stone. We each took corners on our side and, having the first stone advantage, I claimed the center. Nick immediately replied with a threat to my center stone and before long my rust showed itself as I lost the position. My sense of the game started coming back to me however, as I stopped focusing on the small battle and got a feel for the flow of the board -- a feeling that I remembered from when I was playing Go almost daily.

Instead of opposing Nick's surge into the center of the board I sandwiched him in, extending the influence of my right stone up the side of the board and solidifying the left corner closest to me with the other original stone I had placed. My sense of defensive play also rushed back to me as I was able to thwart Nick's attempts at cutting me in various positions. The end result had the majority of Nick's stones tied up in the center of the board sandwiched by mine so that he had no territory except for one corner. After deducting the 5 stone handicap of playing the first stone I ended with a 42 point advantage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.