Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Keith Bertelsen
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
madelineb wrote:
My group once discussed using this in combination with having none of the spies look up, so nobody has any information. Does this seem balanced? We might not actually get back to this variant, but it seemed a nice counterweight.

This would tilt things immensely towards the spies. With RAW, the spies have perfect information, and the resistance does not. This means that spies can screw up and essentially out themselves by voting consistent with perfect information, while resistance does not.

If there is a fail, you end up with each round gaining essentially no information about anyone who went on the mission, just that at least one of them was a spy. But because everyone is voting essentially blind, you have no way of figuring out who's supporting whom.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Lee
Australia
Quakers Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
amellors wrote:
I describe it like that because the couple of games I have played recently of it. I had 0 knowledge of anything (Or felt like I did)

I couldn't trust that I was who I thought I was.
I also couldn't trust anything I saw when I "woke up"

Both of those things (to me) make it feel VERY random, and thus is very off putting.

Oh, you can trust what you see when you wake up. However, you need to figure out if anything happened AFTER you wake up. In Resistance (Avalon and Vanilla), you always know which team you are on, so you are EITHER deducing or bluffing. In ONUW, everything needs to do both to ensure they are on the winning team.

All of these games scratch a different itch, and I love them all equally. Anyone who dismisses either Resistance or ONUW is missing some understanding about what makes each one great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
amellors wrote:
We actually have the Avalon set (which we just play normal Resistance with it) as *I* have been resistant to add Merlin in because all Merlin/Assassin does is shift the balance a little towards the spies. (Which the partial revealing was already doing)

One night Ultimate Werewolf I've described as such:
1) Deal out role cards
2) Look at dealt card
3) Re-Shuffle dealt role cards & re-deal (But DON'T Look!)
4) Everyone reveals at once & is surprised.

That doesn't seem fun to me.

Merlin/Assassin doesn't help spies really. Trust me.

But it does make the game have much less AP, so it makes it better. It also gives spies something to do other than lie, which if that is all they ever did, would very much diminish this game for me. I find lying constantly to be tiring and stressful. With Avalon, now I get as spy what my brain likes to do, which is deduce things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
As for One Night, the entire point of the game is that you don't know your role. That's not a bug, it's its greatest feature.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor Tom
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really don't like the idea of stopping at the required number of fails.

If there are 2 spies on a mission which requires 1 fail, they will 100% both throw in a fail. When it's revealed...well, it could be anybody!
But if all cards, and thus the fails, were revealed, then you know exactly which half of the table to exclude from the next mission.

As for ONUW...

You seem to suggest that after the initial deal, we may as well have little knowledge about what cards we actually have.

Well...
Robber robs, and then gets to look at his new card.
Insomniac 100% knows what she is at the end of the night.
Doppleganger insomniac also knows 100%.
Troublemaker knows which two cards she swapped. Whether she communicates it is up to her.
The only true "surprise!" card is the Drunk, but that effect can be mitigated by a Lone Wolf or a Seer.
Also I guess the Villager card has little info, but if you replace them with Masons then you have more to work on, and more communication can flow.

As mentioned previously, this is exactly the point of the game.

If it doesn't work for you, it doesn't work for you. But it most certainly isn't a pure crapshoot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  |