Tanner Griffin
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Can these dice be custom faces (printable stickers or origami dice) or is it limited to standard dice?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanner Griffin
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
In the last dice contest I was in, pretty much every entrant had custom dice. Sticker paper or glue and cheap dice make for really easy (though a bit time-consuming, if there are a lot of dice) construction. If we're limited to standard d6's, count most of us out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate dice! This'll be fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel J Isom
United States
Clayton
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
Send me a geekmail if you'd like to buy a copy!
badge
I have to return some videotapes.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm excited for another contest and plan to enter this one but perhaps waiting until the submission period ends on the Card contest before starting this one would be a good idea.

If nothing changes, here are the deadlines of the contests currently running:

Solitaire:
Submission Deadline - August 2nd
Voting Deadline - September 13th

Card:
Submission Deadline - August 31st
Voting Deadline - September 30th

Dice:
Submission Deadline - September 30th
Voting Deadline - October 31st

I know a few designers who will compete in at least two of these contests but it leaves very little time to create AND finish a game AND playtest other games during the voting period. Even taking the Solitaire contest out of it, the two contests you're running are competing with each other when it comes to design and play time. As I said before I'd push the starting date for this contest to the submission deadline for the Card contest at the EARLIEST. I appreciate you wanting to host these contests and this is just my opinion but I'd like to know what others think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Regardless of the dates, I'm gonna give this one a bash

Question:
1. Is the dimension 8.5 x 11 inches one page or two pages combined?
2. 500 words or less is tricky! What about diagrams and illustrations? And words on the diagrams/illustrations?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Phillips
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tuism wrote:

2. 500 words or less is tricky! What about diagrams and illustrations? And words on the diagrams/illustrations?
Well given a picture's worth a thousand words you'd already be twice the limit with the logo alone laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MicroStack Games wrote:

Do you think custom dice would make it difficult for others to test out your design?
Generally speaking, it's not implausible to get an idea as to whether you like a game by using a look-up table; a couple of sheets around the game area that translate 1-2 = explosion, 3 = money, 4 = double money, 5 = spaceship and 6 = alien. Or whatever.

Then, if people like your game, they can construct custom dice if they wish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel J Isom
United States
Clayton
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the lengths of the contests are fine, it's just the overlap that I get concerned with. Again this is just my opinion.

I don't know of any contest that are planned for the fall/early winter so this contest might work well in that period. Maybe a starting date of August 31st with the submission deadline of October 31st and a voting deadline of November 30th would work.

If you did that, voting would nearly be over for the Solitaire contest and voting would just have started for the Card contest. That would relieve you of some stress because then you have one contest "over" other than voting and one just starting up.

What we really need is a tagged topic at the top of the design contest forum with a calendar style post laying out all the contests for the year, both reoccurring and single time contests. That way people can plan out what contests they might want to join. I'll send an admin a message and see what we can do about that.

EDIT: I'm dumb or just not observant. The design contest board does have that but your contests weren't in the original post. I still think there should be some rules regarding the timing of contests and have an up to date posting about them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Smith
msg tools
I'm new to BGG relatively, what is Geek Gold and what can I use it for?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MicroStack Games wrote:
disom wrote:
What we really need is a tagged topic at the top of the design contest forum with a calendar style post laying out all the contests for the year, both reoccurring and single time contests. That way people can plan out what contests they might want to join. I'll send an admin a message and see what we can do about that.

The design contest board does have that but your contests weren't in the original post. I still think there should be some rules regarding the timing of contests and have an up to date posting about them.
Agreed 100%
Wasn't there a post that tracks contests? Not sure if that's still being updated?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Smith
msg tools
Thank you =D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel J Isom
United States
Clayton
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tuism wrote:
MicroStack Games wrote:
disom wrote:

The design contest board does have that but your contests weren't in the original post. I still think there should be some rules regarding the timing of contests and have an up to date posting about them.
Agreed 100%
Wasn't there a post that tracks contests? Not sure if that's still being updated?
There is one, it's just not up to date. I'd prefer to see something that shows the whole year. That way contest timing could be managed better so that contests aren't overlapping one another. I don't mind if a couple contests are going on at the same time but there needs to be some guidelines.

Edit: Honestly, I'd be willing to start a new thread (if Joe got his unpinned) and manage it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MicroStack Games wrote:
Daniel - what about designers who don't want to enter a solitaire contest or a card game contest but would like to enter a dice game contest? Etc.
The concern is more that there are only a finite number of people willing to test WIP contest games already, and those people have a finite amount of spare time at any given time.

So the more contests are going on at any given time the less likely it is that any given contest game will be playtested and get well-developed, and the less likely any really good games will come out of the contest.

And since the point of running contests for most people is to spur people on to generate more good games, running them alongside other contests is counter-productive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel J Isom
United States
Clayton
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bichatse wrote:
MicroStack Games wrote:
Daniel - what about designers who don't want to enter a solitaire contest or a card game contest but would like to enter a dice game contest? Etc.
The concern is more that there are only a finite number of people willing to test WIP contest games already, and those people have a finite amount of spare time at any given time.

So the more contests are going on at any given time the less likely it is that any given contest game will be playtested and get well-developed, and the less likely any really good games will come out of the contest.

And since the point of running contests for most people is to spur people on to generate more good games, running them alongside other contests is counter-productive.
thumbsup I couldn't have said this better.

MicroStack Games wrote:

Don't know if I agree that running simultaneous design contests are counter-productive but agree with the rest.

That is what I like about the GDS contests over at bgdf.
Like I said before, I'm not against it but many of the designers will compete in as many contests as they can but if the contests are continually overlapping both the quality of the games and the participation goes down. Which brings me back to the calendar idea so designers can have some idea of what's coming up so they can start working accordingly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel J Isom
United States
Clayton
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MicroStack Games wrote:
Appreciate the feedback and love your calendar idea - a great way to avoid situations like this in the future. My apologies.
There's no need to apologize because you didn't do anything wrong or even make a mistake. I'm just trying to help everyone involved in the design contests, designers and hosts. I'm going to try and figure out the calendar idea and try to come up with some guidelines that the admins will approve of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Larsen
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SPACE DINOSAUR ZOMBIES

The goal of the game is to have the most powerful Space Dinosaur Zombie to win the Space Dinosaur Zombie fight.

Each player takes one standard 6 sided die.

One player counts down from 7. when they get to zero all players roll their die. The player that rolls the highest is the best Space Dinosaur Zombie and wins the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odd Hackwelder
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The more contests the better I think. They all have the their own identity, hopefully. I think yOu have to allow custom dice. I have ton of blank dice, easy to slap stickers on them. I have a game to enter for this contest. It requires 5 dice per player with 123 on it, if you don't have a 123 die, 4=1, 5=2, 6=3. Not ideal, but workable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Friff14 wrote:
In the last dice contest I was in, pretty much every entrant had custom dice. Sticker paper or glue and cheap dice make for really easy (though a bit time-consuming, if there are a lot of dice) construction. If we're limited to standard d6's, count most of us out.
The last contest actually had a rule that required games to have custom dice (and specifically not dice that were just re-themed standard dice with numbers 1-6 on). I think that was a good idea. I still have a big bag of blank indented dice in different colors here from that contest that I would be happy to find some good use for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koen Hendrix
Netherlands
Barendrecht
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
I think you want to allow custom dice in this contest in general, but you could well have a "Best Normal Dice" prize category for those who can/want to restrict themselves. (Similar to the "One card" category in your card game contest.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel J Isom
United States
Clayton
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's my entry for the contest. I've been tinkering with this game for a while and with the 500 word restriction for this contest, it seemed to be the perfect fit. Enjoy!

By Daniel Isom

BLT is a dice rolling game where players compete to earn a set amount of money by building BLT sandwiches.

Game Info
Number of Players: 2 or More
Suggested Age: 6+
Estimated Playtime: 10 to 20 Minutes
Components: 12 Custom Dice and 1 Instructions Sheet

[WIP] BLT - A Dicey Sandwich Game [2014 Dice Contest - Components Ready]

BLT - A Dicey Sandwich Game Rules
BLT - A Dicey Sandwich Game Paper Dice
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cary Zhang
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
How strict is the "no other components" rule? I understand no meeples or cards, etc. But is a bag to store dice or a screen to hide information unacceptable as well?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel J Isom
United States
Clayton
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vixtemplar wrote:
How strict is the "no other components" rule? I understand no meeples or cards, etc. But is a bag to store dice or a screen to hide information unacceptable as well?
I think screens and containers should be allowed. Containers especially because a cup like container could be used as a shaker. The screens should just be screens with no text or images on them, IMO.

Edit: A bag could be used for other than storage if you were pulling dice in some way or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanner Griffin
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
disom wrote:
vixtemplar wrote:
I think screens and containers should be allowed. Containers especially because a cup like container could be used as a shaker. The screens should just be screens with no text or images on them, IMO.

Edit: A bag could be used for other than storage if you were pulling dice in some way or something.
Screens could be good with text and images, because mine will need a player aid too. Just as a reminder of what each face does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koen Hendrix
Netherlands
Barendrecht
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
If a central board is allowed (and personal screens are allowed), there's no reason you shouldn't allow personal boards. You know, where dice be placed to track personal stuff.

Personal boards can even be simulated by just making a central board consisting of 8 personal boards, so let's allow for one board per player.

Maybe there's another idea for a restrictive category here -- allow cups, bags, screens and boards/mats in the contest, but have a "Just dice" category for games that actually use ONLY dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MicroStack Games wrote:

Space on the game board for references? Would another single page (8.5" by 11") be large enough for the screens?
The solitaire game contest rules includes a link to this document (that I believe I suggested a long time ago) that describes how large margins to use to make sure something can be printed on either letter or A4 without having to resize it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   |