United States
Simsbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok (deep breath). IF for some reason I was looking to buy a FEW decks to play Magic the Gathering. IF I had chosen that I wanted to play with decks from the Kamigawa setting. Which decks from which Kamigawa sets would be the best to get? I'm not looking to go all out. Just a few to play some structured games with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Have faith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't do it!

Quick, Geeks, we need an intervention here.

I actually enjoyed MTG several years ago and would love to check out the newer Kamigawa stuff. Must ... not ... browse ... to www.wizards.com .....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Zamborsky
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Ah, Denny, I've hardly seen you this episode."
mbmbmbmbmb
Why Kamigawa, Robert? The Ravinca block has some of the most interesting new mechanics I've seen for Magic in a long time...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert C Kalajian Jr
United States
Simsbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm mostly drawn to it because of the theme and art.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
mb
Zambo wrote:
Why Kamigawa, Robert? The Ravinca block has some of the most interesting new mechanics I've seen for Magic in a long time...

But Ravinca has some of the worst preconstructed decks. Kamigawa is a good bet for out-of-the-box playability. (Coldsnap isn't bad either.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
You should start with Beta, then maybe the Legends and Arabian Nights expansions...All the rest are just wannabe's

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't really like the Kamigawa stuff at all. I felt like they were trying to compete with L5R or something, and the mechanics were stupid.

Ravnica reminded me of the old school cards, and was much more fun for me. Coldsnap is reminiscent of Ice Age (on purpose), and therefore also good.

I can't attest to the Ravnica pre-con decks, nor the Kamigawa ones, sorry. I'd expect Coldsnap might be better to try.

Do they still sell those World Champioship decks? That migt be fun.

- Seth

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert C Kalajian Jr
United States
Simsbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
You should start with Beta, then maybe the Legends and Arabian Nights expansions...All the rest are just wannabe's

Those were a long time ago. Never had any Beta, but had plenty of Legends and Arabian Nights back in the day. Sold them off WAY cheaper than I should have too, but I was a lot younger and didn't know any better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Werth
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
There is a white samurai deck, that's pretty good. There's a green snake deck, which doesn't do anything interesting. There is a green black spirit deck, which is fun, and then there's a red blue arcane deck, which is also interesting, but is spell heavy and lacks creatures. I recommend the samurai deck, and maybe the red blue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert C Kalajian Jr
United States
Simsbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I'll take the smart route and just not try getting back into it at all

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Werth
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
If you don't have friends who are really into playing and can give some of their cards to you, it's probably not worth getting into, no.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with the Z on this one. Ravnica has soe great mechanics, as well as Coldsnap....god do I love Coldsnap.

Just for the record, the Kamaigawa block turned me off of Magic for 3 sets.
And I've been a Magic faithful since Tempus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Werth
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
yes, when the going rate for a 1/1 creature is 4 mana, that would be enough to make someone not want to play Magic for a while. What a terrible set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Luub
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't listen to that haters. Kamigawa was a fun block with a strong theme that ran through all the cards. Maybe the power level wasn't as high as the rediculous and totally non-fun Mirrodin block (they had to ban the lands), but if you're playing Kamigawa decks against other Kamigawa decks, it works. It is great for drafts also (unlike Ravnica, where you pretty much have to have every set completely memorized or you get hosed).

And yeah, agreeing with the guy who said to get the Spiritcraft deck.

(And, what the hell, 4 is the standard cost for a 1/1? A quick search shows there are 5 1/1's in Kamigawa that cost 4... and 24 that cost 1).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Here is some advice if you are only planning to buy the preconstructed theme decks:

Ravnica is the easy choice from the past four blocks. The decks consistently give you interesting tactical choices, and they are relatively balanced. Some of those two-color cards are amazingly powerful.

To me, Mirrodin has the best setting/artwork among the blocks, and probably 4 of my 5 favorite theme decks come from this block. However, the balance between the decks is waaaay off.

I found the Coldsnap decks to be a bit dull, not very well balanced, and void of meaningful tactical decisions. I love the world, but that's not enough here. Also, note that, from a new player's PoV, this "block" is limited to these four decks, as this is the third set from an old block that was not completed previously.

Kamigawa is horrible. Even if you want the Samurai theme, you will be disappointed (especially by the over-the-top Spirit artwork) as it doesn't come anywhere near L5R. The decks are quite dull, largely from being underpowered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United States
Maitland
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll echo some of the sentiment that Kamigawa wasn't my favorite block, and that Rav block is a lot more fun. That said, have you considered Legend of the Five Rings? It's still my favorite CCG, and since Kamigawa was largely a ripoff of L5R, you'd certainly like the theme! Plus, the artwork and storyline rock:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Tavener
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
The overtext below is true.
badge
The overtext above is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
Kamigawa is great for limited play (sealed deck: start with a starter pack and a couple of boosters, and throw away anything that doesn't look like a deck / draft: open a booster, take a card, pass it on, until you have opened 3 boosters, and have chosen 45 cards; then follow instructions for sealed). Also, the various sprit craft triggers can also make for some fun deck designs. We like it, so don't listen to all the killjoys!

For the theme decks, I'd suggest the following:

Saviors/Spirit Flames
Betrayers/Dark Devotion
Betrayers/Ninjitsu
Kamigawa/Way of the Warrior

It's worth noting that none of the theme decks are particularly focused, or even good value for money (just 2 rares per deck). Jay Moldenhauer-Salazar wrote a series of articles called "Building on a Budget" on the wizards web site, where he would take the theme decks to pieces, and putthem back together into something more consistent. Worth a read - here are the articles for the four decks that I mention:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgcom/daily/jm108
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgcom/daily/jm96
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgcom/daily/jm92
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgcom/daily/jm75

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.