Belgium
Edegem
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thumbsup Very cool idea and fantastic interface ! thumbsup

I have 2 small suggestions :

1 Can we have the Representative Image appear under the Game Selection part ?
After putting all this effort into have Rep Images, I believe we should use them as often as possible and this seems to be a good place. Having 1 or 2 additional random images would be nice, but not necessary.

2 A direct link under the menu structure, so we don't have to go to this thread to launch the interface.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Conrad
England
Hessle
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
BaSL wrote:
Stuey wrote:
satisfy everyone

Now, you know that will never happen...

I'm not sure I like your reply here, Bas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
May you find the Perfect Shoe! xxx
badge
Mostly offline, but trying.
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:
Visibility is a problem with any of the awards...

I think Jenseit von Thebens is a fantastic game, but with the low number of copies it's got a snowball's chance in hell of winning.

Maybe we should have a small publisher's award?
thumbsupthumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick West
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
"Only two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity....
badge
....and I'm not certain about the universe." Albert Einstein
mbmbmbmbmb
How about calling them "The Aldies"?

cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. P. Harris
United States
flag msg tools
I like "BGG Game of the Year Award" as well as "The Aldies". I like the BGG picture logo itself, also. You could have small type under a logo/sticker with "Boardgame Geek Game of the Year Award" and the website address?

I also like seeing a lot of categories...makes for more choices.

I'm looking forward to the final awards!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:

I think Jenseit von Thebens is a fantastic game, but with the low number of copies it's got a snowball's chance in hell of winning.

Nah. Part of the purpose of a popularity poll/contest is to find, well, popular titles. Let's say "the Geekies" become the industry award. Companies are just falling all overthemselves to get a little gold running geek sticker affixed to their boxes. A wise company wouldn't say, "hmmm, I want to produce a very niche game with a print run of 750 and try to win the best game popularity contest on the planet." Hell, no. They'll say, "Start the presses. We've got something good and let's get it out there so a lot of people will buy and love it and then we'll get a Geeky and sell a million MORE copies."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Aldie wrote:
How would you define "small"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huber

Westborough
Massachusetts
msg tools
Scott asks:

Aldie wrote:

Nice idea. Though it does beg the question of what qualifies as a small publisher - while it's easy to peg Hasbro & Ravensburger as large publishers, and Prinz Spiele as a small publisher, there's a lot of middle ground that gets hard to differentiate. Jolly Roger? Rio Grande? Hans im Glueck?

Of course, a "Hidden Gem" award has it's own issues. Say all games with less than 100 owners are eligible. Jenseits doesn't qualify - there are 120 listed owners. However Celtica, with only 62 owners, does qualify.

Joe (who couldn't bring himself to vote for Jenseits anyway, as it's a 2004 release)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
So far, I like the very officious title of "The BGG Excellence in Gaming Awards." If BGG.com were available as a domain name, I'd even make it The BGG.com Excellence in Gaming Awards, as that would let everyone know where to go just from the title. And for the familiar name, how 'bout calling the statuette "a BiGGie"? "Hey, our company is up for three BiGGies this year. Hope we win."

As to adding categories (sci-fi, small publisher, etc), I'm having trouble nominating 5 or more titles in each category now (and I duplicate almost every nominee into the "gamers game" category since almost every quality game, even party games, should be gamers games). More categories would just dilute the stuff even more.

Shouldn't we strive for The Oscars of Gaming rather than The Golden Globes/Peoples Choice Awards of Gaming?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
As was astutely noted, there just wouldn't be enough votes (nominations) for small publisher games. If the Top 15 nominees in the "small publisher" category each get 5 or 10 nominations (hell, the 15th ranked one might get something like 4 nominations), then the sample is too small.

It would be like awarding "best game of 1949" from the database here. If there are only 3 or 4, are you really picking a great game. Likewise, is saying that "Freya's Folly" is the best underrepresented game really saying anything? It's saying, "there's a good little game (in the eyes of a very small number of people) that you can't get ahold of but might like if you could." What's the point?

Note to Dominic: I'd say that Northstar is not a small publisher, if you rate it in terms of getting the product on shelves (which seems to be Freya's Folly's problem). Wits & Wagers is secure, I believe, in a nomination for Party BiGGie of the Year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:
I'll add a method for any game written-in will appear in the default list.

Edit: write-in votes now appear in the default list.

I wrote in In10sity (and some others) for party game, but don't see it on the big list anywhere. I probably wrote in another one or two as well.

Do we need to remove our selection and re-add it to get it on the default list?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yollege wrote:
I was thinking "Best Expansion"
thumbsup

MontyCircus wrote:
I think "Golden Geek" has a nice ring to it
thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huber

Westborough
Massachusetts
msg tools
MWChapel wrote:
Sorry, but Celtica IS NOT a hidden gem. More like a lump of coal.

Wasn't claiming that it was - just that the criteria I selected (a 100 owner boundary) blocked out a small publisher game (Jenseits) while passing through a big publisher game (Celtica). I've played Celtica; it's not showing up on any award list of mine, either...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
BoB3K wrote:
Yollege wrote:
I was thinking "Best Expansion"
thumbsup

Funny, in looking at the list of potential nominees, I was thinking that expansions needed to be weeded out from the process altogether. I mean, Settlers - 11th Year Anniversary or Trivial Pursuit - DVD Home Edition 25th Anniversary Edition for Lord of the Rings Fans have had their day in the sun (long ago) and shouldn't be up for an award honoring recent designs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Ruepprich
United States
Grapevine
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie,
are you going to license a BGG Award logo to the publishers so that they can print it on the game boxes, like the SdJ award?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I very much agree with those who have suggested that we ought not to add any more categories to the list of awards. I think that 6 categories is more than enough, and having any more would just dilute the quality of the winners too much. It's already hard enough to find 90 games to nominate (15 in each category) from the past year (even including all the reprints that don't really belong like Die Macher, Torres, etc.) While it would be nice to also recognize things like expansions and small publishers, I think it would be best in the first couple years to limit the scope of the award to focus on the truly best games with broad appeal and to increase the awareness and publicity of those special few.

The only category I'd consider adding would be simply "Best Game." No one's suggested this yet as far as I saw, so maybe no one agrees, but it seems to me that in addition to naming the best games in a variety of different categories, it would be nice to also give out a Best Game award to a single game. Now on a site like this that might very well end up always mirroring the "Best Gamers' Game" award, which would obviate the need for a Best Game award. What do people think? Redundant or not?

Finally, on the topic of the name of the award, I think the Geekies is a fine nickname. I thought we were all happy to embrace our geekiness and not shun it. The real name for the stickers of course should sound all official, like BoardGameGeek Game of Year, or whatever else Aldie comes up with, but the geekies nickname, or geeky singular, seems apropo to me at least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't read through every suggestion but what about nicknaming it simply the beegee's

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Greer
South Carolina
msg tools
designer
Would it be possible for the list of nominees to somehow filter against the games that you've rated and/or recorded as played? It would help me look through the games that I actually have the knowledge by which to nominate, instead of trying to find them amid all the other games I've never played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
I was also thinking "best expansion" should be a catagory (I don't think Power Grid: Italy/France is going to be nominated in the current catagories).

I was also thinking card games should have their own catagories as it's really hard for a card game to compete against board games (even the best pure card games are usually rated below 7).

Yollege wrote:
mrbeankc wrote:
How about a few other categories such as best components or best artwork.

I was thinking "Best Expansion" too. It seems like most of my purchases that fit into the 2005-2006 category have been expansions...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turner
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, best expansion would be a great category

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Hunt
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:
Would it be possible for the list of nominees to somehow filter against the games that you've rated and/or recorded as played? It would help me look through the games that I actually have the knowledge by which to nominate, instead of trying to find them amid all the other games I've never played.
This would be great!

I found myself looking through my collection for games published in '05/'06 that I wanted to nominate. Having them listed for me automatically would be perfect. Perhaps a filter selection list:

+ All 2005/2006 Games with 20+ owners (default)
+ All 2005/2006 Games played/rated by you
+ All 2005/2006 Games in your collection

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
crycrycry

Can I get a refund on my micro-badges?

crycrycry

PS - Just kidding, really. I'll either get more geek gold or donate to the site.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turner
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If this has all ready been asked, I apologize.

Is the 2-player category only for games that are for exactly 2-players?

For example: Caylus is a great 2-player game. Would it qualify?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
"The raised fist logo may represent unity or solidarity, generally with oppressed peoples."
mbmbmbmbmb
Any game which plays especially well with two can be nominated as a 2-player game. Go ahead and nominate Caylus if you like!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(Mr.) Kim Beattie
United States
Rocklin
CA
flag msg tools
Embrace your inner geek!
badge
In Flanders fields the poppies blow Between the crosses, row on row, That mark our place; and in the sky The larks, still bravely singing, fly Scarce heard amid the guns below.
mbmbmbmbmb
More categories will just make the award mundane and not meaningful. Fewer categories mean the award is "harder" to get and that makes the award more meaningful.

Instead of looking at categories we can add, we should be looking at cutting OUT a few of the current categories:

Quote:
- Best Gamers' Game
- Best Family Game
- Best Wargame
These are good. Maybe change "Best Gamers' Game" to something like "Best Designer Game" or just "Best Game" This would include abstract games and games that just don't really fit into the other two categories.

Quote:
- Best 2-player Game (non-wargame)
- Best Light/Party Game
Lose these categories. Let the games make it (or not) in the three categories above. "Best Family Game" can cover light and party games. Two-players games should live or die in the Gamers' or Wargame categories.

Quote:
- Best Kids' Game
Strictly not needed, but without it, a Kids' Game wouldn't stand a chance of getting an award. So leave it as a "consolation" category.

Expansions should not be considered for awards. I know many will disagree with this idea, but the base game is the award winner. Expansions just add to the base game and cannot (by definition) stand on their own. (If the expansion is a "complete" game in its own right, then of course it should be included in the nomination lists.)

To have any real prestige, the award needs to be distinctive and rare. More categories means more winners and after a year or two, or three, there are BGG Award winners everywhere. So then the award just gets lost in clutter.

/Cynical mode on...
This is assuming the purpose of the awards is to highlight the "best" game(s) of the year. If the purupose of the award is too simply generate income for BoardGameGeek (and I'm NOT saying that is the primary purpose of the award) then the more categories the better, right?
/Cynical mode off...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6  Next »  [9] |