Popular Tags: news [+] BGG_Awards [+] goldengeek [+] [View All]
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy Cox wrote:
There just wouldn't be enough votes (nominations) for small publisher games... It's like saying, there's a good little game in the eyes of a very small number of people...
Sadly, I see your point on this issue. There is no way to get a good gauge on what most people will consider to be the best game of the year by getting only several opinions. That would be an award of a few industry "experts" or "insiders with connections" which is exactly what the Golden Geek is not trying to be.

Then there is also the difficulty in figuring out what qualifies for a small company. Any criteria can be abused in some way or another. The truth is probably that we all feel small when we look at bigger companies. I'll bet Mattel feels small when they talk in their weekly marketing meetings about how they can't compete with Hasbro's mega brands...

No matter how you slice it, getting visibility without a budget means years of hard work in the industry. Only the best games coupled with the most determined people get past that first barrier of obscurity. I guess that is as good a criteria as any (perhaps the best) for weeding out the bad games...

Quote:

Note to Dominic: I'd say that Northstar is not a small publisher, if you rate it in terms of getting the product on shelves (which seems to be Freya's Folly's problem). Wits & Wagers is secure, I believe, in a nomination for Party BiGGie of the Year.

It's really nice to hear you say that. I hope it turns out to be true. I simply look at how games like "Cleopatra and the Society of Architects" can get triple the number of people to rate it in one third the time as our best selling game. Since I assume the number of ratings is a good gauge for how many people are playing a game, I assume Wits & Wagers will have a hard time winning the BiGGie Golden Geek award.

Yes, I know - I have to bide my time. Even Rio Grand and Days of Wonder were small companies at one time (although perhaps they both had better business models than us). I just hope we don't go out of business before we get our chance (which looks scarily close right now) cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Fiscus
United States
Maricopa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Great idea, great execution. However, I've noticed some anomalies in the nomination interface:

- In IE, the drop down list for gameid search is obstructed by the scroll list. This was mentioned by someone else last week.

- When selecting Owned the titles that show up are not all part of my collection. For example, Ys appears on the list and I don't have it, want it, wish for it, nor track any part of it.

Yes, I am having this same problem. When I select "Own" from the interface, there are many games which come up that I don't own (Aquadukt, for instance) and some games which I do own that don't appear (Mauer Bauer/Masons).

Anyone else?

EDIT: Mauer Bauer is showing up, but under "Masons"... duh. Still, there are quite a few (Ys, Aquadukt) that are listed on my "owned" page, which I do not own nor have marked as "owned" in my collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
"The raised fist logo may represent unity or solidarity, generally with oppressed peoples."
mbmbmbmbmb
Sonja wrote:
I almost wish the family category was called "family / light strategy"... I'm not sure where to put most Euro games I love. I guess family is for games like Mesopotamia or Mykerinos??
Family is defined however you want to define it. It was created when we realized that none of the existing categories really had room for some games we loved, like Ticket to Ride. I'm guessing the other games you love may fit in there fine. I'd say games like Mesopotamia fit in fine in either Strategy or Family.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Burchfield
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Are we allowed to make "For Your Consideration" posters like the studios do for Academy Awards? That would be a neat bit o' fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Ahern
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And most importantly, do we get badges for voting?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Johnson
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oddly, when I click on the "played" filter, I see a few games in the list that I know I haven't played. Just to make sure I didn't screw up somehow, I went to my games played list and they aren't there. Any idea why this could be happening?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Woooooow.... surprise

I apparently own Friedrich, Ys, Hey! That's My Fish, Reef Encounter, The Scepter of Zavandor and more! Are these going to be send to me?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
kingcujoI wrote:
Are we allowed to make "For Your Consideration" posters like the studios do for Academy Awards? That would be a neat bit o' fun.

Yes...please do! In fact...I'll get one started myself...

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
kingcujoI wrote:

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Anticole
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
kingcujoI wrote:

-MMM

Neat idea KingCujoI!

Would it be good to set a standard for size / format for the posters?

Perhaps a new thread could be opened specifically for the 'For your consideration' posters?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
"The raised fist logo may represent unity or solidarity, generally with oppressed peoples."
mbmbmbmbmb
EyeLevel wrote:
Neat idea KingCujoI!

Perhaps a new thread could be opened specifically for the 'For your consideration' posters?
Sounds great! First person with a poster, start a thread in the Boardgamegeek Awards folder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Sarnecki
Australia
Melbourne (north)
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EyeLevel wrote:
Octavian wrote:
kingcujoI wrote:

-MMM

Neat idea KingCujoI!

Man, you guys are such geeks...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Wankel engine
mb
Aldie,

I seem to recall hearing or reading that SDJ is funded through fees game publishers pay to print the SDJ logo on the box. I wonder if you could do something similar with the Golden Geek. I'm amazed by the work that must go into maintaining the website and all in favor of creating more revenue streams to keep the site moving upward and onward.

Ed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Anticole
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
dakarp wrote:
EyeLevel wrote:

Sounds great! First person with a poster, start a thread in the Boardgamegeek Awards folder.

Done! Anyone with a poster, video, fansite, etc. for a game they'd like to promote can post to this thread...

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/121291

Rock the vote, BGG!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Moore
United States
Webster Groves
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
After reading all about the Awards and considering very carefully, I'd like to announce to any game publisher that my vote is officially FOR SALE. Put as much cash as you would like in an envelope, seal it, and mail it to me. The game designer or publisher that sends me the most money will get my vote! ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Higdon
United States
Eaton Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that MUKid and I are in agreement here... Nothing like being FOR SALE!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Helba
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie - I just pulled up the nomination page to consider whether any of the new games I played since I first submitted nominations were worthy. The games that show up when I click "Owned" and "Played" are all messed up. My owned and played games elsewhere in the database seem to be correct; just the filters on the voting page mess up. I guess this must be something left over from the crash.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
The "Own" and "Played" buttons to filter the selection of games are still broken (giving a bucnh of random results)...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
The discussion of the fairness of the voting restrictions has been moved to here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/1039687#1039687

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Webster
United Kingdom
Winchester
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"own" and "played" buttons give random results
Luke the Flaming wrote:
The "Own" and "Played" buttons to filter the selection of games are still broken (giving a bunch of random results)...

They are broken for me too. I always, like others, seem to have "Ys" on the list. Maybe this is a conspiracy by the publishers .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thee Insidius Doktor Glaze & His Sidekick Donut Boy with the Amazing Monkeytime Dancers Ooh!
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I_have_heard_the_mermaids_singing,_each_to_each. I_do_not_think_that_they_will_sing_to_me... We_have_lingered_in_the_chambers_of_the_sea By_sea_girls_wreathed_with_seaweed_red_and_brown Till_human_voices_wake_us,_and_we_drown
mbmbmbmbmb
How Many ballots so far for the BGG awards?
Any word of how many ballots are in so far?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Hello.
badge
Welcome to my secret message.
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a poster I made about a game I know nothing about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blindspot wrote:
Wow...so many games to choose from. I had no idea this many games were eligible.

Germany alone publishes about 5-600 new games annually. If we assume the rest of world are publishing the same amount are there at least 1200 new games each and eevry year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xethair wrote:
Can I ask why on Earth you guys are even saying "2005-2006 games"? What are you going to do next year, "2006-2007 games"?

Why not? The bi-annual elegibility period have worked fine for the Spiel des Jahres for 25 years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
Hmmm, it's looking like the Golden Aldie to me. No problem, but it's looking that way. What about the Sacksons, after the USA's most prolific designer?

I could have sworn that would be Alex Randolph...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  5 , 6 , 7 , 8 , 9  Next »  [9] |