Subject: [Poll] Have you ever consciously cheated ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you ever consciously cheated in a board game ?
To be extra clear: we're not talking about house-ruling here.

Anonymous poll, so no worries.

Sensitive topic of the darker side of our hobby, but please: no finger-pointing, suspicions and angry mobs around here, thanks.

1st poll is single choice, 2nd poll is multiple choice.

Poll
Have you ever consciously cheated in a board game ?
Yes, once in my life.
Yes, a few times, but I don't do it anymore.
Yes, a few times, and I still do it.
No, never.
      422 answers
Poll created by Kyur

Poll
Why did you consciously cheat ?
I wanted to win.
I had fun acting against the rules.
I thought that the rules are bad.
I liked the thrill of possibly getting caught.
I was bored.
      204 answers
Poll created by Kyur
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only when playing Filch in Cosmic Encounter. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrett Dunn
United States
Tulsa
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone that says they haven't consciously cheated that have been playing as a child is obviously lying. Sorry but I've never met a kid who didn't try to cheat at least once to get ahead, whether that be a board game, test, copying a friend's homework, whatever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Connor Cranston
Netherlands
Rotterdam
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the second question my answer would be "unknowingly" made a MISTAKE, discovered it, but didn't change it unless someone else notices my 'mistake'as well.

Don't know if it counts as consciously cheating...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marvin Ramirez
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mltdwn wrote:
Anyone that says they haven't consciously cheated that have been playing as a child is obviously lying. Sorry but I've never met a kid who didn't try to cheat at least once to get ahead, whether that be a board game, test, copying a friend's homework, whatever.

I agree with you. All kids cheat no matter how they are raised. Kids are curious to see what happens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Connellan
United States
Binghamton
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I am the white void. I am the cold steel. I am the just sword.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have cheated as recently as last year(?). I only did it once, and I was in last place but I wanted to make my last turn look remotely competent. I still came in last, of course.

Level your rifles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember playing poker and we bet M&Ms. I dropped a bunch on the nasty floor, so I put the dirty ones in the pot while holding king high. i.e., I threw the hand. Does that count?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I cheat to help my kid learn some basic strategies, not to win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Chen
United States
California
flag msg tools
I am from Taiwan.
badge
This is my wife.
mbmbmbmbmb
I accidentally saw someone's cards in hand and then used the info to my advantage. Does this count?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll technically cheat at magic sometimes. (I've intentionally actually cheated at it before . . . it made it no fun and I quit playing for a year.) But like, if my opponent doesn't feel the need to sleeve his deck and I can tell if there's an old basic land on top of it or not and it's late and I want to go home . . . I'm probably not asking a judge to come over and make him sleeve the deck. I don't even know what the missed trigger rules are in Magic right now. I know you don't have to catch your opponents' at competitive events. I think you're still supposed to be helpful at lower level events. I'm not always that eager to be vigilant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

You mean cheating IN A BOARD GAME? Of course not. The thought is appalling.

Now Basketball on the other hand...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:

Actually the Wild Filch Flare--which meant you couldn't be the Filch sinc they must use the Super Flare.

Still my favorite "power" in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starla Lester
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
http://www.meetup.com/Las-Cruces-Board-Gamers/
badge
I turned Old & Chaotic Evil Bob to Lawful Good (for a day...)
mb
Between my weekly game-night group and my meetup group, we can play as many as 8-12 new games in a month, and I've made a ton of mistakes, but not deliberately.

What I've learned to do, thanks to a friend's sterling example, is vocalize my move by verbally stating everything I'm doing as I'm doing it, and if I'm not positive I check by ending with, "Is that right?"

That way, if I'm doing something wrong it's out in the open where others will correct me and I can change it before the next players' turn.

I like this solution and thought I'd share in case someone else is in the same boat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I consciously, and conspicuously, cheated when playing with daughter when she was young. Having Dad conspicuously cheating to "win" made beating him that much better for her.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starla Lester
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
http://www.meetup.com/Las-Cruces-Board-Gamers/
badge
I turned Old & Chaotic Evil Bob to Lawful Good (for a day...)
mb
herace wrote:
I consciously, and conspicuously, cheated when playing with daughter when she was young. Having Dad conspicuously cheating to "win" made beating him that much better for her.

That sounds like a game within a game.

Hooray for Dads playing games with kids! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Occasionally, I might see someone forget to do something on their turn (like collect a resource or draw a card) and I won't point it out to them. It gives me an advantage, but it's kind of their own fault for forgetting. I don't know if that counts as cheating, but it makes me feel dirty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Price
United States
Springdale
Arkansas
flag msg tools
Reroll!
badge
C'mon roll allready!
mbmbmbmbmb
Drunken Monopoly, just to screw with my brother and probably a few other times. The Monopoly game was hysterical!ninja I was banker too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmb
mltdwn wrote:
Nope, not even as a child. I'm not trying to win some "honest soul award," I just can't remember even one instance (maybe I was just too scared as a child?).

I am honestly stunned by the poll results. Level your rifles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Brother Jim wrote:
mltdwn wrote:
Nope, not even as a child. I'm not trying to win some "honest soul award," I just can't remember even one instance (maybe I was just too scared as a chid?).

I am honestly stunned by the poll results. Level your rifles.

Yeah, I don't think I ever cheated as a child. Stole to see what would happen though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Hicks
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pintsizepete wrote:
I have cheated as recently as last year(?). I only did it once, and I was in last place but I wanted to make my last turn look remotely competent. I still came in last, of course.

Level your rifles.

(let me count up my points... 31, I'm in last, darn. I thought I was doing okay, too... the bonuses from this card should have given me... Oh wait, I think I interpreted this wrong... I can only get this bonus once, so I actually only got... really? REALLY?)

"How many points did you get?"

"Uh... 31, unless I miscounted..."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
porkchop_tw wrote:
I accidentally saw someone's cards in hand and then used the info to my advantage. Does this count?

Absolutely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mltdwn wrote:
Anyone that says they haven't consciously cheated that have been playing as a child is obviously lying. Sorry but I've never met a kid who didn't try to cheat at least once to get ahead.

I don't remember ever intentionally cheating (at board games), even as a child. I won't go so far as to say it never happened, because frankly, I don't remember every single game I ever played. The early years are particularly fuzzy.

Computer games, heck yeah. I cheated the crap out of those things until I was 14-16 or so, probably. Of course, that was back in the days before multiplayer on something other than a hardwired LAN was realistically feasible, so I don't feel too bad about it. I couldn't hack a legitimate challenge back then, so I cheated. After I grew up, I enjoyed replaying those games by the book. =)

There have been a handful of times in my adult life when I was tempted to cheat at board games, though. I'm just sitting there all "the rules say I have to respond in a particular way to my opponent's action, but if I don't say anything, they won't know the difference and I can do what I want." But, of course, after a moment of self-reflection I spoke up and played correctly.

In general, I play games for fun and to socialize with friends. I don't really care who wins in the end. As such, although my mind might occasionally drift towards darker motives, I don't really feel any strong compulsion to break the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendall McKenzie
United Kingdom
Bournemouth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love thinking about cheating and ways of cheating, working out how to manipulate rules or pieces to win, but I never actually do it. The whole reason I play a structured board game over some other group activity is that there's a winner and cheating kind of delegitimises that. If I want recognition for my ability to false shuffle, I'll do some magic tricks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Bergeron
United States
North Smithfield
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:

Good call.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Holmes
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
porkchop_tw wrote:

I'd say no.
In poker, players are warned to protect their cards at all time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.