Matt Campbell
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am in Dallas for the next 3 days and wondered if anyone could recommend a couple Favorite Local Gaming Stores I might hit whilst here. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Reed
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was impressed with Game Chest, but, since I am not a local, I don't have the address info. Hopefully, someone in the metroplex will post soon.

If you're a fan of books in any way, you should plan a visit to the Half Price Books flagship store (on Northwest Highway) - huge and impressive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Woodson
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Game Chest has the best selection, located at ValleyView Mall at the intersection of Preston Rd and LBJ Freeway (635). They also have a store at Collin Creek Mall in Plano near Central Expressway (75) and 15th.

Madness has a lesser selection of games but good for figurines, collectible games and comic books. Located on Custer near Parker I think (in Plano).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Heath
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt

Definitely Game Chest in Valley View Mall (Preston/635) down on the Sears corridor (you will understand that when you get there)

Don't expect a bonanza of finds though...there are a ton of gamers locally that frequent the Chest. They do have some old gems, but you are going to pay dearly for them.

The selection in general though is outstanding...best game shop I have ever been in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Heath
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
deacondavid wrote:
I was impressed with Game Chest, but, since I am not a local, I don't have the address info. Hopefully, someone in the metroplex will post soon.

If you're a fan of books in any way, you should plan a visit to the Half Price Books flagship store (on Northwest Highway) - huge and impressive.

The HPB mothership store mentioned is freaking unbelieveable if you are a book fan. It's as big as a wal-mart supercenter.

It is at 75/NW Hwy and they are open until 11pm. Also, the Dallas Gamers meet there on every other thursday...you might pick up a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Jullie
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, Game Chest is great. I go there all the time. Also, there is a store called "lone Star Games" located east of 75 on Mockingbird. It doesn't have the same selection as the Game Chest, but it has a great inventory of odd toys and whatnot that a lot of gamers are into (a lot of cool things you might never have seen in another store).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Heath
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dignan wrote:
Yeah, Game Chest is great. I go there all the time. Also, there is a store called "lone Star Games" located east of 75 on Mockingbird. It doesn't have the same selection as the Game Chest, but it has a great inventory of odd toys and whatnot that a lot of gamers are into (a lot of cool things you might never have seen in another store).

Mockingbird/Abrhams...NE corner shopping center on the one-way drive section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lewandowski
United States
Accokeek
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was recently in Dallas, and went to Lone Star Comics on Mockingbird at Abrhams. A good store if you want some other comics/fandom with your games. They have a decent but standard stock of games right up front, lots of other goodies around.

I took a coworker who had "never been in a store like that before", and she seemed to enjoy poking around at all the cool stuff (she then took me to a Harley shop and Shepler's, a western wear shop, which was new for me, bought a t-shirt and a cowboy hat). Lone Star closes early on weeknights (7:00), but I will say that the employees are friendly, helpful, and go the extra mile (one let me in to make a quick purchase at 7:05 after I explained I wouldn't be able to make it back until the end of the week). Worth a visit if you have time and like other fandom type stuff besides games.

Half Price Books is easy to get to from Lone Star Comics, just head N on Abrhams, turn left on NW Hwy, and it should be up on your right after a bit. I didn't stop in, plan to do so next time I'm in Dallas, and want to meet with the gaming group that plays there if I can.

I intended on stopping in at the Game Chest, but didn't have time. I called looking for Twilight Struggle on the off chance they still had a copy floating around, and the guy I talked to didn't seem to know the game so that turned me off a bit, but he was friendly enough and seemed to want to help. I do plan on stopping in if I ever find myself in Dallas again.

Good luck in the heat down there!

/Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Campbell
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the tips, my wife and I went to both Game Chest (2 purchases!) and the Half Price Book Store (11 purchases!). I am amazed as always at how this community helps out.

If we weren't going to Sambuca's for some Jazz and wine tonight I would head back over to HPBS for some gaming.

Thanks again,

Matt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.