Christopher M
United States
Goleta
California
flag msg tools
badge
Awesome Possum
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick question for you Mage Wars experts: What do I need to play this game with four players?

I just found this game on the BGG top ranked list and it seems super interesting to me. My game group tends to only play 4+ player games but 4-player Summoner Wars has been a hit.

I noticed I can make four 120-point decks with one core set (link). But the core set only comes with enough spellbooks, status boards, and quickcast markers for two players?

Can I get by with just one core set or should I buy something else?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Bochum
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well you don't need anything besides the core set. But it might be a very limited play in the long run. Because it greatly limits the options for deckbuilding, if 4 player try to create a deck. Also you only have 2 Books and 2 sets of markers. While they can be substituted, i wouldn't want to play Mage Wars without the iconic books. But you can get the books and the additional markers separately in the shop. On the plus side the markers come if different colors than the ones in the core box.
Another option is to get one of the 2 bigger expansions, which comes with 2 new books. But you would still need another set of markers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Nico. You will also need the player cards for marking mana, life points, etc, but paper and pencil will do. This is for the 'basic' requirements you asked for.

However, I think you will want more. One option is to buy 2 base sets, and paint up one of the sets of turn markers. That way you have more cards to choose from, and a bigger board to play on if you like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher M
United States
Goleta
California
flag msg tools
badge
Awesome Possum
mbmbmbmbmb
Good suggestion guys! I haven't played this game yet so I was hesitant to buy multiple sets and expansions until I've figured out if it would see any playtime with my group. I was mostly asking for the first few plays, then I could decide if I want more!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
The apprentice mode is good for the first few games, and you could play with four players on the full board - however, in apprentice mode the Warlock is rubbish against the fire-resistant wizard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Mansfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Matthew 10: 29-31
mbmbmbmbmb
For 4 players, go into it expecting to make mistakes. Try to have fun and keep the codex handy for what the terms mean.

If you find one other person who likes it, they can buy a core set and that is where the real fun begins (for now).

They are coming out with some official means to incorporate new ways to play...so definitely subscribe to their page here for updates. As you can tell, this is one of my fave games. Summoner wars is a great game, but Mage wars lets you do so much more. I can't recommend it enough
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can only play 4p apprentice mode with one set, because you need 2 boards (although you could have some imaginary board squares). You would also have to run without 2 spell books, and paper/pen trackers and pebbles for markers or something.

Basically, yes you can get it to work for proof of concept to see if you like the game (although everyone involved would learn better and faster playing 2p). If you don't like it you can trade/sell it, if you do, then you are definitely going to need a 2nd core set (most of us would regard this is the next purchase even for 2p).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.