14 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Looking for a new board game for the group... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Funk Everette

Minnesota
msg tools
My friends and I have recently been getting back into game nights but and are looking to expand our options. We've played the hell out of game of thrones (including the 4 player objective expansion), frequently played dominant species, pretty much sick of seven wonders and like the concept of panic station but we all feel it's broken and don't like playing it.

The group is 3-7 players, pretty quick learners and open to any style of game. Not worried about game length or complexity.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper Hansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With nothing else to go on than 3-7 players?

Roborally

Eldritch Horror

Search result for 3-7 players, sorted by rank

Btw, this should be posted/moved in the recommendation section

(edit: trying to fix the geekurl for the search result)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game is optimal for 5, pretty great with 6, can be learned with 3, we play it a lot with 4 now that we have Daybreak (for Cylon Leader Motives). The other two expansions can be added to adjust the base game into the direction your group likes and/or evolve the game while you get better at it. Any expansion allows to play with 7, although each player does get less actions in the game the more players you have (but you are and need to be involved the whole time, so it may not be an issue for you). We play a game with all expansions (to Kobol) in 2-2.5 hours.

Cosmic Encounter (3-5) with the first two expansions Cosmic Incursion and Cosmic Conflict plays upto 7. Is best with 5+, plays in 90-120min with hand management, bluffing, alliances, backstabbing, and variable player powers. No two games are the same. It may take a while to learn how to use the game mechanisms and your alien power most effectively.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cosmic Encounter is the game you are looking for
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Wolf
msg tools
designer
publisher
King of Tokyo is great for 2-6 players. High suggest that for a big crowd. They have expansions for it also and it's not all that pricey!

King of Tokyo
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/70323/king-tokyo

King of Tokyo: Power Up
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/127067/king-toky...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread belongs into recommendations and might be moved soon.

Still:

Shadows over Camelot could bring a good game into your panic station problem

Among the Stars is a great card drafting game that adds tile laying to seven wonders. Not playable with 7 though. (base game plays up to 4, not sure with expansions)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
m Vlad
Romania
flag msg tools
mb
I´d suggest Eclipse if you have the table.. ) (with Rise of the Ancients)(

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Johnson
msg tools
My 2 cents: Settlers of Catan

You can also use my Android app, Play What, to find games for however many people you have. Or you can have it pick one for you at random.
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1201163/android-app-play-wha...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H G
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a dude
mbmbmbmbmb
Elder Sign can go up to 8 players, is easy to learn. Best with the Elder Sign: Unseen Forces expansion.

Also Citadels is a great "warm up" game for 7 people. We often use it in big groups as a first game as it's social and gets people talking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
7 players is hard.

When "Epic" is mentioned, a lot of people point to Twilight Imperium (Third Edition) but that's 6 players and, personally I can't see myself put in 6 to 8 hours for any game.

Edit: Sorry, the "Epic" was in an other Title blush

Ultimate Werewolf: Inquisition plays 3 - 12 and can be a lot of fun

I'll also give a +1 to Eldritch Horror and plays 1 - 8

Lords of Waterdeep with its expansion Lords of Waterdeep: Scoundrels of Skullport is a cool worker placement games that can be played with up to 6 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lane Taylor
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
7 players? BSG for sure (I actually prefer the bigger game, although most think it's best with 5).

Kings of Air and Steam plays 3-7, with a variable board. Lots of replayability, and is one of my favorite games for 7.

A lighter, but still crazy fun, is Bohnanza.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Gabriel
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+ 1 to Cosmic Encounter

Coup and or The Resistance for fillers, or some times the whole night.

Mansions of Madness - Only up to 5 players but my group really enjoys it.

I'm having a hard time thinking of games with a 3-to-7 player range. Do you guys ever break into two groups?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can find a copy, I'd say VivaJava: The Coffee Game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Game of Thrones is one of my favorite games. I have to agree with some of the excellent games that have been suggested, that include:
Battlestar Galactica - My friends and I never watched the show and loved the game. (I'm watching it now because of the game, no don't spoil it for me!)
Cosmic Encounter - You can play with up to 7 players if you purchase two additional expansions, but this really is a phenomenal game. If you haven't played it, don't wait.
Coup - A new favorite of mine. Great filler.
The Resistance - This is a blast with around 7 players. Paranoia and accusations. Always memorable and a great time.

And here are some of my unique suggestions:
Spartacus - If you liked the backstabbing and treachery of Game of Thrones, you'll enjoy this. A very different style of game, but a lot of fun. A little bit of everyone: take that, bidding, combat, inventory management. (Forgot to mention, this takes up to 6 with the expansion)
Space Cadets: Dice Duel - If you have enough players for two well-rounded teams (at least 6), this game is an absolute blast. The hectic nature of Escape, but pitting two teams against each other. As soon as the game ends you'll be calling for a rematch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.