Ben Hutton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I have been playing through a campaign of the base game, and tonight we finished the last act II quest. She has been playing as overlords, and myself as the two heros.

I've won the introduction, one act I quest and one act II quest, while the overlord has one the rest. Here's my setup as I go to the final battle...

Syndreal the knight
Averic the spirit speaker

Knight (no wooden shield)
Defend
Challenge
Oath of honour
Advance
Guard
Shield slam
Defence training

Spirit speaker (no oak staff)
Shared pain
Drain spirit
Tempest
Natures bounty
Healing rain
Cloud of mist

Items
Leather armour
Chainmail
Dragon tooth hammer
Lightning strike
tival crystal

Relics
Shield of the dark god

Healing rain and cloud of most are my two latest additions. I've taken a peek at the last quest and I'm not sure how I can win. Looks tough!

I think we've mucked up a little bit as we played, as the overlords deck would refresh between encounters normally (we wouldn't always have time to play both parts in one sitting), so I wonder if that's helped her win more quests than me.

The OL has 3 relics. Bones of woe, dusk blade, and shadow rune. I think the dusk blade is going to be the real killer, with pierce 5...

And advice or tips on how I could win this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Howell
United States
Bassett
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I am not a master tactician but I will try to help you. You need to do your best win encounter 1 so that you can control the crown and limit the OL's use of the special dark charm ability during encounter 2. Here are some notes for each encounter. Mare sure you are using the errata.

1 - You have to skip your first turn so Splig will probably be somewhere on 25B when you start.
2 - Use Syndreal's ability to move both your Heroes as close as possible. Then fatigue move Syndreal to the door and open it. If she succeeds on the first attempt she should then move as close a possible to Splig.
3 - Averic should then move as close to Splig as possible.
4 - Basically, without a way to stun or immobilize Splig you have to try and race him to the exit and conduct any attacks that you can.
5 - This is important because a ruthless overlord will reach the exit with Splig and camp there collecting cards for encoutner 2 until the Heroes are close enough to threaten Splig.
6 - It also important to stay ahead of the open group that will be chasing you down from the entrance. If the OL picks shadow dragons and ever gets them between you and splig, or seperates your Heroes the OL will have more time to collect cards and prepare for your demise during encounter 2. At least in your case it will only be a minion shadow dragon.
Encoutner 2 is tough but I have seen the Heroes win it. With only two Heroes it will be tougher. Here are some tips that have helped me in the past.
1 - On turn 1 try to clear away the zombies on 4A so that they do not get a chance to wittle away your wounds before the real fight begins.
2 - Once in the Throne Room I have had success focusing on taking away Zachereth's support and then focus on taking him down. There will probably be a shadow dragon in there to complicate matters and based on its location you may need to take it out first to reach the Lieutenants.

Anyway I hope this helps and I am sure others have more/better advice. I have lost and won this quest but four heroes were always in use. For your next campaign I would recommend using three or four heroes regardless of the number of players.

Good Luck!

Dan Howell
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Hutton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Dan.

I was sure I replied before! Sorry!

Set it up last night!

Re 1: Splig starts on the heros side of the door, so won't be able to close it. Annoying that I miss my first turn (didn't see that in the rules)

I'll come back to let you know how it went down!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Hutton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I won encounter one pretty fast! 4 turns I think!

Using the heroic feat to push forward right away was the right move! Looks like it's hard for the OL after all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Hutton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I won... I'll post a new thread!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone Cirri
msg tools
Hi. I'm playing this quest tomorrow night.
I'm an Overlord and I could use some suggestions about the quest and most of all about the monster choice.
I own: base set, LotW and Trollfens.
I'll have all the liutenants (none of them is dead because of a previous lost quest).
The heroes I'm playing against are: Grisban (Champion), Jain (Ranger), Avric (Disciple) and Leoric (Necromancer).
The only relic I own is Bones of Woe. In Encounter 1, however, Alric Farrow will equip the Duskblade due to scenario rules.

Any suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.