Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew N
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anybody have any recommendation on a specific guide service? My wife found a place called The History Nerds Battlefield & Education tours. It's really well reviewed on Trip Advisor, the guy apparently picks you up from your hotel and it's cheap, but someone also said he can't leave the van. Has anyone done a horseback tour, or anything besides the standard bus/car tour?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
Use the official licensed Gettysburg battlefield guides. They're the ones who work out of the visitors center. Accept nothing less. You can call up the visitors center and they will schedule one for you. The licensed guides are true experts on the battlefield working for the national park service. They've been doing it for 99 years now.

http://www.gettysburgtourguides.org/battlefieldtours.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out the Blue & Gray Education Society. They take you where others don't and you get great amounts of detail. You get out and walk, you don't sit in car or van. If Parker Hills is giving a tour there, reserve a spot. You won't regret it.

Per the licensed guides at Gettysburg, if you have a particular interest, ask if there is a guide who can give you a tour on that interest. They can and often do, tailor a tour for what you want to see and understand. Many are experts in specific topics and you will get some great tours if you just ask.

Lastly, there are many easily found guidebooks that also get you out of your car and get you walking the battlefield. "Gettysburg Guide" by J. David Petruzzi & Steven Stanley is a great one to start with. Thomas Publications has published dozens of small guidebooks that are quite good. "East Cemetery Hill At Gettysburg", "Culp's Hill at Gettysburg", " The Wheatfield at Gettysburg", "The First Day at Gettysburg", to name a few. Also "The Battle Between the Farm Lanes" by David Shultz & David Wieck has not only a good narrative but an excellent walking tour. You will really understand what went on July 2 in the Union center. Also pick up the Gettysburg map published by Trailhead Graphics. It is tough plastic, has every lane, path, trail, and road at Gettysburg. Plus every monument, marker and tablet,plus locations of farm sites and tree lines during the battle etc. great to carry with you.

Read, then walk...and Gettysburg comes alive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim S.
United States
CA, TX
flag msg tools
designer
See designer's page...
badge
A thousand yards...
mbmbmbmbmb
Lunga wrote:
Lastly, there are many easily found guidebooks that also get you out of your car and get you walking the battlefield. "Gettysburg Guide" by J. David Petruzzi & Steven Stanley is a great one to start with. Thomas Publications has published dozens of small guidebooks that are quite good. "East Cemetery Hill At Gettysburg", "Culp's Hill at Gettysburg", " The Wheatfield at Gettysburg", "The First Day at Gettysburg", to name a few. Also "The Battle Between the Farm Lanes" by David Shultz & David Wieck has not only a good narrative but an excellent walking tour. You will really understand what went on July 2 in the Union center. Also pick up the Gettysburg map published by Trailhead Graphics. It is tough plastic, has every lane, path, trail, and road at Gettysburg. Plus every monument, marker and tablet,plus locations of farm sites and tree lines during the battle etc. great to carry with you.

Read, then walk...and Gettysburg comes alive.

Just what I was looking for. I am averse to guided tours (not that they are bad in principle, just not for me).

-Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave P
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We did the CD tour from the bookstore (you play it in your own car and move along at your own pace).

Very powerful.

-Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
Something else I am going to toss in. The Park Rangers have what they call programs. These are walking tours of one area of the battlefield put on by one of the park rangers. It might be a hour long walk along the Little Round Top line of battle. One might be a walk tracing the steps of a specific regiment across the field of Pickett's Charge. I did one that was about National Cemetery that was excellent about 5 years ago and another on the Iverson's Pits on Oak Ridge.

Once I was on the battlefield and found out there was going to be a demonstration on marching. I went to see who was doing it...we were doing it. The people who came to watch were the soldiers. We spent an hour learning how regiments moved, switched from one formation to another. There were about 30 of us and by the end of the hour we had learned how to go from a line formation into a battle line, wheel and then go into a skirmish line. The whole thing ended with us getting the order to charge.

There are a set number of lectures but others are added week to week and you have to go into the visitors center to see what's going on around the battlefield on that day.

http://www.nps.gov/gett/planyourvisit/interpretation.htm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I was going I'd contact Rick Barbar and see if he'd be wiling to give a tour.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.