Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
mbmbmbmbmb
In part four of the Dead of Winter play through video series, Rodney Smith announces that Plaid Hat Games will be providing a promotional Crossroad card for the upcoming Watch it Played: Season 4 fundraiser campaign.

For further details, follow the link below to the 17m 8s point in the video where the announcement begins and stay tuned to Watch It Played on you tube and social media for when the campaign officially starts later this month.

Link to jump to the the point in the video where Rodney announces the promo card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Callahan
United States
Fort Collins
CO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Will fundraiser be via Kickstarter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Theriault
United States
Weare
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Indiegogo in the past.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yani
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Will non-supporters be eventually able to get the promo card, or are we obliged (no disrespect to Rodney and his podcast, just the possible practice..) to fundraise to get a fully complete game? Especially for us who pre-ordered to get the exclusive standee?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Cooley
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
coralsaw wrote:
Will non-supporters be eventually able to get the promo card, or are we obliged (no disrespect to Rodney and his podcast, just the possible practice..) to fundraise to get a fully complete game? Especially for us who pre-ordered to get the exclusive standee?

The game is fully complete. A promo card us just that - a fun little extra. This one in particular is a cute reminder of watch it played.. It's also a particularly helpful card, so it might even disrupt the balance of the game somewhat.

Besides, you would feel like a tool every time it popped up while playing if you hadn't supported Rodney in the past.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Peck
United States
Frisco
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For some completionists, the promos are essential. I know a lot of comic collectors. 7 different covers? Really?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Connor Cranston
Netherlands
Rotterdam
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I need to pledge Rodney's KS and get the card? How much would I have to pledge...If it's $5 or less inc shipping, I'm okay with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yani
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
benstylus wrote:

The game is fully complete. A promo card us just that - a fun little extra. This one in particular is a cute reminder of watch it played.. It's also a particularly helpful card, so it might even disrupt the balance of the game somewhat.

Besides, you would feel like a tool every time it popped up while playing if you hadn't supported Rodney in the past.

No, it is not fully complete. I used the word "fully" for a purpose. In case you are not aware how much the market pays for "cute reminders", see how much the Ghost Stories' (unneeded) Infernal Die goes for, these days, if you can find one. And that was an Essen promo nonetheless, not a reviewer exclusive.

What if I don't watch "Watch it Played", should I stil support him to get the card? And what about the other dudes, Rahdo, UndeadViking, Joel, Tom etc, shouldn't they all do their own cards for their fundraising?

Anyways, rant over.. I'm sure Colby and Rodney will do the right thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Cox
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
coralsaw wrote:
benstylus wrote:

No, it is not fully complete. I used the word "fully" for a purpose. In case you are not aware how much the market pays for "cute reminders", see how much the Ghost Stories' (unneeded) Infernal Die goes for, these days, if you can find one. And that was an Essen promo nonetheless, not a reviewer exclusive.

What if I don't watch "Watch it Played", should I stil support him to get the card? And what about the other dudes, Rahdo, UndeadViking, Joel, Tom etc, shouldn't they all do their own cards for their fundraising?

Anyways, rant over.. I'm sure Colby and Rodney will do the right thing.

Do you watch it or not? In any case, that's a super entitled whine. If you want it, get it, if not, don't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yani
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hellicon wrote:

Do you watch it or not? In any case, that's a super entitled whine. If you want it, get it, if not, don't.

Why did you feel you have to write this post, I wonder.. If you don't get the point, please go back and re-read what I wrote.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Pillow
United Kingdom
Worcester
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
coralsaw wrote:

I believe part of the reason for this promo going to Rodney is that he does alot of work for Plaid Hat games, including the offical video guide on how to play.
As for prices, I can't say how Rodney will price it. It will however depend on whether it is a digital print and play or a real card (due to manufacturing and shipping obviously). If you want to see how he priced things last year I recommend looking here https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/watch-it-played-season-3
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent
Netherlands
Arnhem
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
coralsaw wrote:

No, it is not fully complete. I used the word "fully" for a purpose.

Can you explain what you mean by "fully" complete? Does that mean that when ever an expansion is released, it's original game is not fully complete anymore? And if that's true, are you also 'blaming' publishers for not including the expansion in the first game?
I think Rodney did a great thing for the game by creating his Watch it Played and I'm happy that PlaidHatGames recognized it and gave them this card to boost their fundraising. Also, they could release a thousand cards and it would not diminish the original game in any way as far as I'm concerned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yani
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
@Andrew: thanks for the info.

@Vincent: your expansion analogy is faulty and exaggerated. Expansions are generally widely available in stores or online after they are released, this is what I asked for the specific promo in the first place. Like what Tom Vasel and Portal did for the Robinson Crusoe promos, if I am not mistaken, they eventually appeared for general purchase.

Anyway, it all depends on the price. If one wants to support Rodney (that's a goodwill action, remember, not a must-do-to-get-my-promo) one should. He is doing a fine job.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Cox
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
coralsaw wrote:
Hellicon wrote:

Why did you feel you have to write this post, I wonder.. If you don't get the point, please go back and re-read what I wrote.

Because that kind of hyper-entitled thinking helps to destroy even the most minor little cool things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent
Netherlands
Arnhem
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
coralsaw wrote:

@Vincent: your expansion analogy is faulty and exaggerated. Expansions are generally widely available in stores or online after they are released

It was exaggarated to make a point. But my question to you was, what did you mean by fully complete?

I thought the original comment meant that you felt you weren't getting a complete game. Now, I feel you are 'upset' that you find that a (mini) expansion is difficult to get. They are two different things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since the promo is a crossroad card, it will easily be loaded into the crossroad tool that will be released on the Plaid Hat webpage in a few weeks.

So if you do not get the promo, but you do use the crossroad webpage tool there will be zero game play loss.

The crossroad's web page will be adding tons of free crossroads cards.

The only value to the promo is the nostalgic value to those of us that enjoy "Watch it Played".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yani
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
@Vincent: precisely, that was the point.

@Ken: males sense, still would be great to get the real card. We are boardgamers (and collectors) after all. I was more worried about this becoming a general trend, akin to "pledge baiting" in KS.

@Ivan: If "hyper-entitled" is meant in a condescending way, I won't bite. Again, I am unsure why you wrote 2 of your 50 replies ever in BGG just to offer zero help to my initial request, unlike other nice people on the thread. It would be cool to learn what other games you have or love, to understand where you are coming from, but alas, that won't happen. Meanwhile, feel free to browse mine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Charlton
United Kingdom
East Barnet
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
www.finchleygamesclub.org
mb
Does the game come with blank crossroad cards? If so you can easily make the promo yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Smith
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
badge
Join us to learn and watch games played at youtube.com/watchitplayed
mbmbmbmbmb
youperguy wrote:
The only value to the promo is the nostalgic value to those of us that enjoy "Watch it Played".

It was very important to me that the promo be an absolutely "unessential" card. The entire spirit behind it, is that it be a special token of my appreciation for people who support us and allow me to keep on making these videos. Ken has it entirely right, it's value is meant to be nostalgic. You watched the video with us, you were a part of that adventure, now you get a physical memento of that and of your help in allowing us to do, not just more videos for PHG, but more videos for every publisher.

If someone decides they must have this promo card in order to feel that their game of Dead of Winter is complete, then you're not wrong to feel that way. Hey, we're all free to feel entitled to whatever we want. And it's the internet, so we're all free to express our feelings too.

YouTube content is free to be consumed, but it's not free for me to make. The people who donate to us, (whose support I am in no way entitled to) help everyone else get the content (that anyone can enjoy, whether they donated to us or not). That kind of support from people really blows my mind. I won't bother trying to express in text what it means to me, that each day I can set my mind to doing something I enjoy, regardless of how much effort it takes, because someone else out of desire, not necessity, gives up their resources, so I can keep doing this.

So while I appreciate the desire of those with concerns that they won't be able to get this promo card - hopefully they can also appreciate I'm very specifically putting a higher premium on being able to do something unique and special for our Watch It Played supporters.

PS. As others have said, creating Crossroad cards will be an option for anyone in the future, so recreating this one will be a cinch - and likely cheaper than donating to us anyway
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yani
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Rodney, thanks for your thoughts.

I didn't question your efforts or dedication, neither the value of your videos. You deserve to be funded. The main question I asked was whether the card be available after the funding at a promo store, or is it a one-off and gone.

Will it?

The secondary underlying question is whether this is a good trend for the hobby or not, having exclusive event promos not available for general use. We've seen it in Cons, usually US that Europeans usually don't attend (or Essen for the other way around). Sometimes it is even a local event (Arkham nights comes to mind). Yet other times it is funding or KS exclusives. Sure, secondary market works, but that's expensive. I don't have an answer to this question, but I would think a lot of boardgaming folks find this promo chase frustrating, I am one of them. Having a standard place to buy promos, like the geekstore or the publisher's webstores would help.

By the way, promos are usually "unnecessary" cards, otherwise they would be part of the game in the first place.

Best regards

Yani

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
River Vale
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
coralsaw wrote:

The secondary underlying question is whether this is a good trend for the hobby or not, having exclusive event promos not available for general use.

This is a debate that's raged on BGG for quite some time now. Both sides think they're going to convince the other side, but it's not going to happen - because both sides are coming at it from different premises they believe to be true.

The debate is, to a certain degree, pointless because it's something that a fleetingly small group is going to change their minds on. It's more a thing where you let your preferences be known and move on, unless you want to get dragged into countless threads discussing it that never go anywhere and instead usually degrade into name-calling (just see some threads above).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Peck
United States
Frisco
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Idaho11 wrote:
unless you want to get dragged into countless threads discussing it that never go anywhere and instead usually degrade into name-calling (just see some threads above).

*Cough* HQ25 *Cough*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Charlton
United Kingdom
East Barnet
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
www.finchleygamesclub.org
mb
Idaho11 wrote:
coralsaw wrote:

The secondary underlying question is whether this is a good trend for the hobby or not, having exclusive event promos not available for general use.

This is a debate that's raged on BGG for quite some time now. Both sides think they're going to convince the other side, but it's not going to happen - because both sides are coming at it from different premises they believe to be true.

The debate is, to a certain degree, pointless because it's something that a fleetingly small group is going to change their minds on. It's more a thing where you let your preferences be known and move on, unless you want to get dragged into countless threads discussing it that never go anywhere and instead usually degrade into name-calling (just see some threads above).

Much like the "should you sleeve your cards" arguments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Smith
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
badge
Join us to learn and watch games played at youtube.com/watchitplayed
mbmbmbmbmb
coralsaw wrote:
Will it?

Not sure what we'll do at this time. I'd like to keep it exclusive, but available through Watch It Played, potentially beyond the length of the fundraiser. We'll see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
coralsaw wrote:
Hey Rodney, thanks for your thoughts.

I didn't question your efforts or dedication, neither the value of your videos. You deserve to be funded. The main question I asked was whether the card be available after the funding at a promo store, or is it a one-off and gone.

Will it?

The secondary underlying question is whether this is a good trend for the hobby or not, having exclusive event promos not available for general use. We've seen it in Cons, usually US that Europeans usually don't attend (or Essen for the other way around). Sometimes it is even a local event (Arkham nights comes to mind). Yet other times it is funding or KS exclusives. Sure, secondary market works, but that's expensive. I don't have an answer to this question, but I would think a lot of boardgaming folks find this promo chase frustrating, I am one of them. Having a standard place to buy promos, like the geekstore or the publisher's webstores would help.

By the way, promos are usually "unnecessary" cards, otherwise they would be part of the game in the first place.

Best regards

Yani

Yani,

I agree with many of your points about promos, but this is the kind of promo that I think is perfect!

Anyone that wants to play with the promo can for FREE, by using the FREE Plaid Hat crossroad generator that will be on the website.

This is exactly the type of Promo that should be encouraged. I find complaining about this type of promo to be counterproductive to your goal, which I sympathize with. I would dislike, for example, a new location as a promo. Promo's are here to stay, we should encourage great new ideas for doing them.

Cheers,
Ken
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.