Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Reynolds
United States
Vermontville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At this point in time, we've got every major ship from the original trilogy that can possibly be fit into the scale of this game. Wave 3 dipped a toe into the Expanded Universe with the HWK-290 and then Wave 4 dove in headfirst. It's all EU from here on out, with the exception of future re-purposed model sets like the Imperial and Rebel Aces boxes.

I think the most interesting ship on the horizon that we know about is the Imperial Decimator. With 0 Agility, 4 Shields and 12 Hull and weighing in at around 50 points to get one loaded with some upgrades, this thing looks meant to play the role of half a capital ship in big battles. If nothing else, the Tantive IV will finally get something to use its big long-range turbolaser batteries against. And the Imperial Navy will finally have their very own large ship (I don't really count the shuttle since it's not really a combat ship).

Of course, there has to be at least one huge Imperial ship coming out in the near future as well. There's been loads of speculation about what it could be, but you know what? For my money, it's got to be some kind of big gray triangle bristling with guns. I don't care if they have to completely make something up that fits the bill. The Vigil-class Corvette has been tossed out in other speculation threads and I think it looks great and would fit really well... but it's a fan-made vehicle so I have to wonder about licensing issues, etc. Still - big, gray, triangular. Get it done, FFG.

And the Outrider, of course. Honestly, while it's cool and I'll buy one... it's another modified freighter flown by smugglers with a turret primary for the Rebels.

But beyond that, what more can FFG mine from the EU? Prince Xizor's Virago as a large-base model? That could be kind of cool but the Imperials already have one privately-owned mercenary ship in the Slave 1. The Imperial's whole "thing" is the cohesive unity of their squadrons - lots of TIE-class ships with some big capital ships. They do not fly ragtag groups of mismatched ships into battle - that's what the Rebels do. In reality, the Slave 1 should have been a "neutral" ship that could fly for either side. Bounty Hunters, after all.

Then we've got Talon Karrde and his Wild Karrde, which I think is a super long shot since it would be yet another modified freighter type ship flown by a smuggler for the Rebels - AND a huge ship as well. And it's ugly as sin, so it probably wouldn't sell very well (at least, FFG would have to package a whole slew of must-have upgrade cards along with it).

My speculation for most likely ship that we'll see as part of a future wave is the Skipray Blastboat. This would be a large Imperial ship (twice as long as an X-Wing) with cannon, torpedo, turret and crew upgrades.

Beyond that... your guess is as good as mine? I can't really think of anything else that's going to fit into this game that we haven't already seen. Maybe FFG will start releasing card-based expansions to give new pilots and options to the existing ships? Maybe the game will simply have a hard end-date with no new ships forthcoming?

What do you think we'll see down the line?

[Edit] - possible further speculation - does anyone know what the ships that Etahn A'baht is firing on are? Maybe this is a hint at a future Imperial ship? Or maybe just something from his past as a starfighter pilot that has no relation to the game itself?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Richardson
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well seeing as Episode VII is a year from December I don't see them needing to stretch it all that long... a bit before it hits they will probably release one wave of the new Trilogy's ships and then another wave after it hits.

Until then, and even after, I think they are likely to do several more expansions in the vein of Aces. Maybe Rogue Squadron, with 2 X-wings painted with all of Luke and Wedge's markings so they aren't standard X-wing paint job. Or an aces pack that has the Tie Advanced and Tie Bomber maybe?

Or perhaps they will jump on what you were saying about the Firespray, and make an expansion ment to bring in a 3rd (maybe even 4th) faction. Rebels, Imperials, Bounty Hunters & Pirates? Or the Mandalorian Fleet as its own faction?

Needless to say I think there are plenty of ships to hold them over till VII hits, and then they have a whole host of new ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim East
Australia
flag msg tools
pkreynolds wrote:

[Edit] - possible further speculation - does anyone know what the ships that Etahn A'baht is firing on are? Maybe this is a hint at a future Imperial ship? Or maybe just something from his past as a starfighter pilot that has no relation to the game itself?

The ship in the picture is a D-type trifoil fighter http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/D-type_trifoil_fighter

It is a Yevethan ship from the Black Fleet Crisis Trilogy, where Etahn A'Baht is a supporting character and leads the New Republic Fleet against the Yevetha.

If the D-type makes it into this game, I will literally eat my hat. And it's quite the sombrero.

But I digress.

Bounty Hunters and Pirates is the next best guess. The Hound's Tooth with Bossk and the IG-2000 with IG88 sounds probable. R-41 Starchasers and T-wings are other "easy money" pirate starfighters.

Other Imperial ships would be the TIE Avenger, as an apology to the TIE Advanced. And, if the frothy-mouthed Imperial loonies get their way, Assault Gunboats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Stackurski
United States
Mankato
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I love almost all games, play Boardgames with my wife, have three kids, generally enjoy cats and understand and like those bumper stickers with the little fishies sprouting legs.
badge
This happy cat is excited about new board games!
mbmbmbmbmb
They might end up with some new ships from the right period with the new Rebels cartoon coming out as well. The "Ghost" ship the main Rebel characters will be flying is probably too much like the YT's mechanically to be really worth making... but who knows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the Gozanti has a lot of potential as a large (not epic) Imperial ship.

The TIEs still have more than a few models they could use, like the TIE Oppressor, Hunter and I suppose the Heavy Bomber for Epic matches. Maybe even the Scout. And I really hope they come out with another Imperial Aces that has upgrade title cards for the TIE Advanced to make them X2's or something to make them a little better.

For the bounty hunters you also have Dengar's PunishingOne.

With a pirates/independents faction, they can always do an 'uglies' set, along with tons of ideas in this thread: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/948395/3rd-faction-black-sun

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, the Nebulon B frigate is from the movies and possible to do.

(And would be amazing.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard van der Haak
Netherlands
Boerakker
Groningen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I want my Assault Gunboat!

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Alpha-class_Xg-1_Star_Wing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also want assault gunboats! And Avengers!

Now that all the cannon ships are out of the way and we have some decent toys to play with, how about some experimental things with specialty upgrades? Both the Gunboat and the Avenger had access to beam weapons- Tractor Beams and jammers. This could be a cool mechanic to add, contrasting to something equally awesome for the rebellion?

I'm not enthusiastic about a third faction detracting from the 2-ship release for the rebels and empire. Pirates means effort on a faction which I don't think is as exciting as further Imperial and rebel craft. Besides, Smugglers and scum are already subdivided into the Rebellion (Solo) and Empire (Fett). What use is there for a third faction when the game doesn't need it? And how would initiative play out in this regard?

Also, the Scum ships are kind of boring. Some of the bigger Decipher-crafted bounty hunters are interesting but really? R-41s and T-Wings are the only things I'd want, and I'd have an easier time getting them for the Rebellion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please no Uglies! Please no Uglies! Please no Uglies!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kostas K.
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rashktah wrote:

Too late

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Juneau
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
what's next for me is to absorb wave 4 and epic play and actually play the damn things as much as possible this summer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Turner
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CptShrike wrote:

Bounty Hunters and Pirates is the next best guess. The Hound's Tooth with Bossk and the IG-2000 with IG88 sounds probable.

As much as I would love every bounty hunter ship, the Hound's Tooth is 62 meters, which is almost double the Falcon. IG-2000 is only 20, which keeps it within scale. Punishing One (Dengar) is 20, and Zuckuss' Mist Hunter is 15 meters, which puts it in small ship range.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Reynolds
United States
Vermontville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:

(And would be amazing.)

I think it'd be way too big even for the scale the game uses. I believe the frigates are about twice the size of the corvette.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to see a third faction of bounty hunters and smugglers. Or a series of ships like the firespray and YT 1300 which could be played on either side, Rebel or Imperial. After all, bounty hunters and smugglers fly for the highest bidder and/or for their own interests.

This is one of the aspects I have always enjoyed and been intrigued about the Star Wars universe... not only the battle of "good vs evil" but the people in between, the "gray" in between the black and white. But maybe that's just me because I used to play the old West End RPG back in the late 80s and loved the sessions involving underworld activities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Steski
United States
Olympia
WA
flag msg tools
Thou art I... Thou hast acquired a new vow.
badge
With the birth of the BOARD GAMES Persona, you have obtained the winds of blessing that shall lead to freedom and new power.
mbmbmbmbmb
Things that I'd like to see post-Wave 5...

Imperial:
- TIE Droid
- Skipray Blastboat
- Assault Gunboat
- Chiss Clawcraft
- TIE Avenger
- Scimitar Assault Bomber
- IG-2000
- Slave II
- StarViper (Viagro)

Rebel:
- K-Wing
- Cloakshape Fighter
- T-Wing
- Action VI (Wild Karrde)
- Lady Luck
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O B
United States
Mountainview
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh shoot, I'll go ahead and put it out there: Clone Wars!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Reynolds
United States
Vermontville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adorablerocket wrote:
Oh shoot, I'll go ahead and put it out there: Clone Wars!

That's going the wrong direction on the timeline. It seems to me like they're sticking to the Galactic Civil War timeline of the original trilogy and forward. The last thing I want to see is prequel stuff, like Naboo starfighters and Trade Federation droid ships in this game. I'd have to wash my hands of it at that point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kostool13 wrote:
rashktah wrote:

Too late

looks at E-Wing...
Still not a fan of the ship design, personally. It looked really odd on the table along B, X, Y, even Z95s and HWKs to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Thisson
United States
New York
flag msg tools
IG-88 sounds good to me, as does an "Aces" type product featuring the Tie Advanced and/or Tie Bomber.

I dont have any interest in a 3rd faction or any clone wars products.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moritz MacBenic
Germany
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sassycat wrote:
Things that I'd like to see post-Wave 5...

Imperial:
- TIE Droid
- Skipray Blastboat
- Assault Gunboat
- Chiss Clawcraft
- TIE Avenger
- Scimitar Assault Bomber
- IG-2000
- Slave II
- StarViper (Viagro)

Rebel:
- K-Wing
- Cloakshape Fighter
- T-Wing
- Action VI (Wild Karrde)
- Lady Luck

Very good list! I bolded the ones I'd like to see most badly!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Richardson
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I could also see them making a pseudo-expansion in the idea of another game full of ground forces, that would play like X-wing, and have it be something where some of the pieces could inter-mingle between the games...

Clone wars, while having several cool ships and a lot of crap, mostly doesn't work because the "Power scale" at which they have the OT ships. you have to think about the fact that these have a design linage and thus something that comes before is not as good... its essentially what they did with the Z-95 on purpose, taking a predecessor in order to give the Alliance a super cheap ship they could fly swarms with... and while I would like to see the Jedi Delta as a model (naysayers be damned, even if the movies weren't great, that was a good looking ship...) the Alliance doesn't need another Swarm fighter or Missile delivery ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O B
United States
Mountainview
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
GTRichardson wrote:

Clone wars, while having several cool ships and a lot of crap, mostly doesn't work because the "Power scale" at which they have the OT ships. you have to think about the fact that these have a design linage and thus something that comes before is not as good... its essentially what they did with the Z-95 on purpose, taking a predecessor in order to give the Alliance a super cheap ship they could fly swarms with...

Or, they could go with the assumption that the Empire is in decline - much like the dark ages after the fall of Rome - and that Republic ships (you know when there were a bunch of Jedi kicking butt all over the place, Clone troopers had both loyalty and initiative, and ships like Slave-1 were shiny and new and not patched up to hell) were equal power level or better.

:-D

Hate on the Prequels all you want, but the Clone Wars series was awesome, frequently better at the pulp action serial than the original movies were. If you haven't watched them, don't knock em until you've tried it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
adorablerocket wrote:
GTRichardson wrote:

Clone wars, while having several cool ships and a lot of crap, mostly doesn't work because the "Power scale" at which they have the OT ships. you have to think about the fact that these have a design linage and thus something that comes before is not as good... its essentially what they did with the Z-95 on purpose, taking a predecessor in order to give the Alliance a super cheap ship they could fly swarms with...

Or, they could go with the assumption that the Empire is in decline - much like the dark ages after the fall of Rome - and that Republic ships (you know when there were a bunch of Jedi kicking butt all over the place, Clone troopers had both loyalty and initiative, and ships like Slave-1 were shiny and new and not patched up to hell) were equal power level or better.

Hate on the Prequels all you want, but the Clone Wars series was awesome, frequently better at the pulp action serial than the original movies were. If you haven't watched them, don't knock em until you've tried it.

My problem with that is that it's just the same game. (Unless they make a new game) I would play this game if it was called "clone wars battles." But either the ships suck, or are better. Neither of which are much fun. Or they're the same, which is redundant. Or they're filled with new special abilities which doesn't make sense really. I hope they don't make me stress out like I would about the continuity issues in attack wing. (Thank god those minis are godawful. I love star trek as much as star wars . . . )

I just wish they had the real license. A clone wars boardgame would be so awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swampy Crocker
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pkreynolds wrote:
scifiantihero wrote:

(And would be amazing.)

I think it'd be way too big even for the scale the game uses. I believe the frigates are about twice the size of the corvette.

If I remember I'll take a picture of the one my friend made(to scale). We've used it for our campaign, which plays on a 3x8 table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
adorablerocket wrote:
GTRichardson wrote:

I liked the flawed prequels and loved the Clone Wars series...and I want none of the prequel/Clone Wars era in this game. Other than the mentioned power creep, I have an issue with the factions. That era was the Republic vs the Separatists. The Galactic Civil War era is Rebellion vs the Empire, both descendants of the Republic. Thematically it doesn't work (non-tournament) having Obi-Wan and Clone Troopers fighting either the Empire or Rebellion.

As for the Separatists, their bulk of fighters were all droids. All of these droids were theoretically built the same so each fighter type should be identical. You'd lose the flavor of having identical ships with different pilots and abilities that we already have. This is one of the primary reasons I'm not too hyped about people suggesting a BSG version of this game, and at least they had one named Cylon ship (Scar.)

Also thematically, there are scenarios out there, by FFG and fans. Releasing Clone Wars-era ships and pilots would pretty much negate most of them. I often see people request new/more scenarios, so it is an area of interest to the fans of this game.

Prequel ships should have their own game, unless the ship (and pilots) survived to the Galactic Civil War era.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.