Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
PK WADDLE
United States
Austin
texAS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our session of this game was one of the highlights of the amazing gaming day of 7/13/14 for various different sorts of reasons.

The first of these odd reason is that when I suggested this , I had Princes of The Renaissance in my head and when we opened the box I was hideously confused as to wheree all the people tiles and the blocks to make your city-thingies were. Duh me.

But I was still happy to finally play such a famed game even though I expected disaster. I realized the engine planning for this game is HORRIFICALLY tight AND you add in a spacial element in the "tetris-ing" of your buildings on your tabelau and I thought I was going to suck royally at this, but I am excited to see what this game is all about.

And whaddaya know? In the first third of the game I either had a small lead or I was a very close 2nd. So I am thinking do I actually follow up my Bootleggers anomalous triumph with a decent showing in this? Well guess what happens when you are playing this for the first time and get too excited?

Here's what happens :

Mr La-de-dah alleged genius level IQ and holder of 7 college degrees---
....destroys his progress in this game self-destructing into flames because I think 4 plus 3 plus 3 plus 2 plus 4 is 17.

::sob:: ::Hang head in deep,deep shame::

It wouldn't have been so disastrous if I hadn't completely blown off my expert game teachers' ( Grant and Laurie !! Thanks AGAIN !!) mandate that you CANNOT run out of money in this game, or your entire game will stop dead. Aww Pshaw, Kel says.. I am about to make a BUTTLOAD of money on these two workers -- I can spend all my last monies to get the building to trigger this worker amount .. no biggie !! I am about to rake it in next turn and get all kinds of points too!!!

Again, please insert your choice sound of Price Is Right Losing Horns, the sound of an airplane being struck by a missile in a war game and crashing in a fiery ball, the Nelson " Haah-ahh" from The Simpsons or some combo of all of the above as I realize to my horror-- I am out of money. I can't buy antyting and I CANNOT execute the workers' action because I don't have enough worker points to do so! :: more sobbing in shame::

There's still three turns left in the game. Which I watch because I love the gaming vibe and the game itself, but I can't DO ANYTHING. I wrote a bit in my sketchbook and kept sadly hoping at LEAST my prestige card at the end condition ( which I had fulfilled to that point ) would hold and maybe THAT would make my end score not as pathetic from 3 phases with nothing.

Nope.

Christopher and Hector tie me on my card of most landscapes and I don't get the 7 I just get the 4.. but it's all moot by then. Everyone, especially Christopher racked up mongo points in the final turns leaving me in the abject dust.

Not since some of my ongoing horrific The Name of the Rose failed-guesses and failed concealments of my color have I ever done so spectacularly awful at a game and loved it so much . (( Fun Fact : This was totally MY idiocy in miscounting.. the last time something like this happened a game of this equal weight was my first playing of Outpost-- in that instance at least it wasn't my fault that I just got the worst number card draw luck in the history of that game leaving me to sit out the whole final third of the game--again this time, it's all because my allegedly genius self seemingly totally forgot how to do second grade addition when I got excited. :/))

Nevertheless , for such an odd experience, I had an incredible amount of fun at this and I cannot wait to play again !! My THIRD new-to-me " FAMOUS" game of the day that I absolutely loved!

One note before scores : Just because It was Christopher'ss birthday-- and he's obviously rather expert at this game-- it's just a bit rubbbing-opponents'-noses-in it to take a fucking NAP during the first phases when he wasn't playing ( due to massive jet lag) -- yes a NAP(!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!_) -- and then destroy everyone and even nearly LAPPING me on the points board. I don't care it IS your damn birthday son, that just ain't right. I want my donuts back !!

SCORES:

Christopher 64 WIN
Laurie 44
Hector 40
Teresa 39
Kel 24 ( )

A final dreadful irony : The 2 professions in question I never got to play-- one was COMPOSER. The building that bankrupted me was the OPERA. BGG user GustavMahler ladies and gentlemen, let's give him some pity applause !!!

NOTABLE QUOTES :
((( Once again the gentlemen playing 1830 at the other end of the table provided some of these during our simultaneous play .)))

I built this city with every dollar I have. Really? I thought you built it with Rock and Roll?
It's really easier if I touch things, May I touch your buildings?
I can't play anymore. I think I shall dance in my chair the rest of the game.
Wow, it feels so liberating to get a builder for 200. Liberating? I was afraid you were going to be swinging your bra over your head !!
The Philosopher teaches at Forest Opinion University.
( ABOUT THE 18xx Game per Hector) -- They are playing
a Train Game. It's boring, I would rather do my taxes. There are no monkeys in that game, if there were than that game would be AWESOME !!

As people were discussing bonuses during the time of the game I couldn't do anything : " I have been sitting here doing nothing but playing with my bonus for 3 turns!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goldfarb
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Pride and Excitment goeth before the fall...
It's been a while since I played, but I seem to recall that you can exchange prestige points for money? It's very inefficient, but sounds like in this case it would have stopped your whole game from being derailed. Or is that just during the auction phase? Even if so, that would have stopped you from being unable to do anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Miller
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're right in that you can exchange VPs for money in the game, at any time, to boot (even in secret during the auction phase by bidding more than you have in hand and taking points if you win).

You want to end the game with zero cash, but running out of money in the middle is indeed rough, crippling often. But being able to exchange PP for money will allow you to buy that extra bonus card to complete your work, take it largely for money, then get back on track with your game.

--ElSoy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ElSoyokaze wrote:
You're right in that you can exchange VPs for money in the game, at any time, to boot (even in secret during the auction phase by bidding more than you have in hand and taking points if you win).

Yeah, it sounds like your teachers failed you on this one. Either by forgetting to teach you the rule in the beginning or by not noticing that you needed another $100 to be able to buy anything in the auction and telling/reminding you then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PK WADDLE
United States
Austin
texAS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reconfirm everyone -- When I put up a version of this SR in my weekend geeklist.. I was informed by others at that time too that indeed you can trade points for money, something to know for next time, though hopefully will not be necessary-- thanks folks !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corin A. Friesen
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose it could be worth outbidding an opponent even though you are short on money (meaning you must lose a few points) just to mess him up. Is that ever a scenario?

Thanks for posting a session report about Princes of Florence! It's one of my all time faves. And the best gaming experience of my life came from a game of Princes of Florence. Love it so much. Oh my gosh, I want to play it right now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PK WADDLE
United States
Austin
texAS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My pleasure.. and I indeed also can't wait to play it again !!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Never let the future disturb you. You will meet it, if you have to, with the same weapons of reason which today arm you against the present.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ambrose wrote:
I suppose it could be worth outbidding an opponent even though you are short on money (meaning you must lose a few points) just to mess him up. Is that ever a scenario?

Oh yes. It's perfectly just justifiable if you can calculate that you'll gain more points by winning the big (e.g. from a Prestige card or Work).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.