Popular Tags: [View All]
Douglas Schulz
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I greatly enjoyed my run as Geek of the Week but its (past) time to pass the baton to Andrew Cozzi.

Andrew Cozzi
Ireland
Cork
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I recently met Andrew when he joined my PBeM for Championship Formula Racing. Andrew had been a past Speed Circuit player and relocated from Italy to Ireland which caused him to have to find new opponents to help him support his gaming habit.

One of the neatest things about Speed Circuit is the international audience it has maintained over the years. I've played in person and online with opponents from all over Europe and Japan.

Without further ado,

Quote:
Hi geeks.

I started my passion for boardgames by playing checkers at a very young age (and later chess) with my grandfather and uncle.

My first game was “Hitler’s War” with a very assiduous group of players in Perugia in Central Italy called ABM. We played a lot of ‘Speed Circuit’, ‘The Napoleonic Wars’, ‘Civilization’ and ‘Age of Renaissance’ etc.

I’m now living in Cork in the south of Ireland. Where there are quite a large number of players. Some have been playing many years some have just started, but they all enjoy the ‘craic’! (Irish for fun).

Andrew also passed along these three "facts" about himself... of course, we all suspect that one is false.

Poll
Two of these are true, one is not-so-true about Andrew:
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
I’m half Italian, half Irish and half English.
47.6% 30
I’m married with 8 children and still have time to play.
46.0% 29
I visited famous battle locations: Roman - Trasimeno battle (Hannibal vs Flaminius), Nine Years' War – Battle of Kinsale (O’Neill and Águila vs Mountjoy), WWI - Trenches near Monfalcone, Trieste and Caporetto, WWII - Normandy (D-Day)
6.3% 4
Voters 63
This poll is now closed.   63 answers
Poll created by lucidphoenix
Closes: Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:00 am
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
G'day Andrew,

I try to remember to ask each Geek of the Week these gaming related questions, so to start with here's the ever so slightly modified GeekSpeak Hook questions for you:
Favourite game(s) for d10-1 player (optional, many non-wargamers wouldn't have an answer for this)
Favourite game(s) for d10-2 players
Favourite game(s) for d10-3 players
Favourite game(s) for d10-4 players
Favourite game(s) for d10-5 players
Favourite game(s) for d10-6 players
Favourite game(s) for d10-7 or more players (and you may choose a Party Game here although I wouldn't meeple )

Also Word Association Football , I will list a word and you list a game or games that you associate with it. If you like you can expand and tell us if you like it/them or hate it/them and possibly why.

Space ships
Witches
Trains
Transport (may include trains)
Workers (paid or otherwise)
Trading
Building
Pink
Theme
Ships
Money
Purple
Government
Vampires
Infrastructure
Dice
Dinosaurs
Gemstones
Dragons
Beer
Wands

Is there any particular game that you have played recently, new or old, that you would like to recommend to readers of this thread? And optionally, why?

Last but not least, what are the five games that you have played most recently?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb

Congratulations Andrew!

Have a great week!

My usual question: Have you a favorite wizard? If so, who? If not, why?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Andrew! What was the biggest screw you moment you have had in a game? Giving, receiving, self-inflicted, or some combination therein.

If you can say one thing, in this world, that is true, what would it be? Apart from three halves equaling a whole
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Andrew! Enjoy your week!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. M. Lopez-Cepero "CP"
Spain
Seville
Andalucia
flag msg tools
EU-friendly Kickstarters rule!
badge
"The twilight there holds a serene beauty... You have seen it yourself as the sun sets on this world."
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Andrew, enjoy your week!

d10-1 You seem very big on wargaming. What are your favourite games other than wargames (and SC)?

d10-2 Are there any games you're particularly interested in trying/buying in the near future?

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve deWinter
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations! cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Gambetti
Italy
Bolzano
flag msg tools
designer
And plastic for the Plastic Throne!
badge
No! This is not a board game, but Stanislao Moulinsky in one of his best disguises!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Andrew, enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agnieszka
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Andrew!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arne
Germany
Hamburg
Hamburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
congratulations on making Geek of the Week, Andrew!

A few questions:

what...
1) ... did you have for breakfast, lunch and dinner yesterday?
2) ...'s your favorite non-alcoholic drink?
3) ...'s your favorite alcoholic drink?
4) ...'s your favorite food?
5) ...'s your favorite / most self-cooked recipe?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Verdonck
Belgium
Edegem
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Andrew! Have a fun week as GotW meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakob Bavnshøj
Denmark
Brøndum
DK-9500 Hobro
flag msg tools
designer
NOW
badge
Visit us at www.osterskov.dk
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Andrew. Have a great week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Cozzi
Ireland
Cork
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
G'day Fraser,

Favourite game(s) for 1 player
I don’t have one. Not really into solo playing. I played a few but none have hit me but I still must try “Phase line Smash” of one of my Favorite game designers Frank Chadwick.
Favourite game(s) for 2 players
Rise and Decline of the Third Reich, Star Fleet Battles, The Sands of War, SPQR, Panzer Armee Afrika, Stalingrad Pocket, Barbarossa to Berlin (as Card driven game)[I just passed level in my online tournament], Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage,
Favourite game(s) for 3 players
Hitler’s War! It’s much better if played in three rather than 2 (makes the lend lease program much more interesting to a fine balance).
Favourite game(s) for 4 players
Blue Max, The Napoleonic Wars (Second Edition) (UK, France, Russia, Austria), Wooden Men Iron Ship, Speed Circuit, Win Place and Show, Puerto Rico.

Favourite game(s) for 5 players
The Napoleonic Wars (Second Edition) (UK, France, Russia, Austria, Prussia), Wooden Men Iron Ship, Speed Circuit, Win Place and Show, War and Peace, Pax Britannica.
Favourite game(s) for 6 players
1830 Rail Barons, Blue Max, Wooden men Iron ship, Speed Circuit, Win Place and Show.

Also Word Association Football , I will list a word and you list a game or games that you associate with it. If you like you can expand and tell us if you like it/them or hate it/them and possibly why.

Space ships Star Fleet Battles
Witches
Trains 1830 Rail barons
Transport 1830 Rail barons
Workers Puerto Rico
Trading Civilization
Building
Pink
Theme SPQR
Ships Wooden men Iron ship
Money 1830 Rail barons

Purple
Government Arriba espana (Spanish Civil War)
Vampires
Infrastructure
Dice
Dinosaurs
Gemstones
Dragons
Beer Lot’s
Wands

Is there any particular game that you have played recently, new or old, that you would like to recommend to readers of this thread? And optionally, why?
Bull Run by Avalon Hill. Game of the First battle of the American Civil War. [Very good].

Last but not least, what are the five games that you have played most recently?
Flight Leader, Bull Run, Silver Bayonet, Arnhem Bridge, Rommel in the desert (excellent game and great favourite).

Cheers
Andrew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Cozzi
Ireland
Cork
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
G'day Fraser,

My answer is underneath.

Cheers.

Andrew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Cozzi
Ireland
Cork
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

No favorite wizard.

But I can appear quite fast out of now where if you put a board game on the table!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Cozzi
Ireland
Cork
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi J. M. Lopez-Cepero "CP",

The real question is why should anyone play something else rather than Wargaming... whistlelaugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Schulz
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrew,

What led you to Speed Circuit out of all the other non-war games could have had a fling with?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
C'est le Gomazio à crête mordorée, dont le cri annonce le soir...
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratz !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank S
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Andrew, have a great week
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
20100 Turku
flag msg tools
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance; the same description may be applied to the best, most elegant and both intellec
badge
and aesthetically satisfying games. By being unknowable, by resulting from events which, at the sub-atomic level, cannot be fully predicted, the future remains malleable, and retains the possibility of change, the hope of coming to prevail; victory.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
"Too late, too late" will be the cry…
badge
…when the man with the bargains has passed you by.
mbmbmbmbmb
Grats! meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Cozzi
Ireland
Cork
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lucidphoenix wrote:
Andrew,

What led you to Speed Circuit out of all the other non-war games could have had a fling with?

When I was in Perugia (Italy) they used to play regularly every week and every 2nd/3rd can't remember we would do a race. The rules were a little different (there are many variations).

But I liked the fuel consumption and extra spoiler that gave an extra movement even if at two spaces away.
The fuel consumption was the real gem. Acceleration consumed fuel not speed it self. No one had enough fuel at start to finish the race so you had many options: go relatively slow and stop just a few turns, go really fast, get in the lead and stop enough to restart while still ahead at a cost of having to do a second pit stop. even when to stop was important.

I enjoyed the fact that being a tournament few people rolled the dice tempting fortune. This could influence future races. So the race was more 'calculated'.

Good memories!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday.
badge
Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway.
mbmbmbmbmb
CONGRATULATIONS

Enjoy your week in the spotlight!

Questions:

d10-1 What is your most favorite game mechanic and why?
d10-2 What game are (were) you most looking forward to in 2014?
d10-3 If you could game with a celebrity of your choice, who would you choose and why?
d10-4 If you could add, delete or change something about BGG, what would it be and why?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Andrew!

1) Truth or beauty?
2) Speed or precision?
3) Justice or mercy?
4) Steadfast or flexible?
5) Cynicism or naiveté?

Enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonie
Netherlands
Oud-Beijerland
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper
badge
You proceed from a false assumption. I am a Vulcan. I have no ego to bruise.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Andrew!

d10-1 What is your favourite colour when playing a boardgame?
d10-2 Spring, Summer, Autumn or Winter?
d10-3 Do you play an instrument? If yes, which one and for how long already?
d10-4 Having fun?
d10-5 What would have been your name if it wasn't the name you have?
d10-6 What is your favourite snack?
d10-7 What is your favourite day of the week?
d10-8 What is your favourite time of day?
d10-9 What character would you be in a Star Trek setting?
d10-1d10-0 What makes you "tick" (inspires you, why do you get up in the morning)?
d10-1d10-1 What is your life-long dream?
d10-1d10-2 What is your favourite RPG race/class?

Enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.