Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Dennis
United States
Waterloo
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was posting this in another thread, but decided to start my own rather than hijack it :-)

I've had a problem with some players getting bored early game while everyone is building up. Were going to try a variant based on a snake draft. This basically cuts out the board elements until one or more players are ready to go. It goes like this:

1. Determine player order. Situate yourselves around the table in order. Everybody gets $5000 to start.

2. Players choose ships in descending order (from last player to first player).

3. Players choose leaders and starting locations in a ascending order.

4. Discard three cards from each deck and hand out jobs as normal, but make sure all discarded cards are laid out so everyone can see them.

5. Players take actions in order, descending then ascending (eg. In a three player game, go 3, 2, 1, 1, 2, 3, 3, 2, 1 etc). For their action, a player can:
-Buy a card from a discard pile, then discard a new card to replace it.
-Deal to draw one Job card. You must take that card or one in its discard pile.
-Work to collect $200
-Trade or attempt to buy a card from another player. This needs to be mutually agreed upon, and can be done outside of normal turn order.
-Declare "Last Call." Get one Fly action on the board. Finish the current round of actions and start play on the board.

6. If a player buys a card you want, you can start a bidding war. Highest bidder gets the card, but they must pay what they bid. Collusion and back room dealings are encouraged ("You know, I want Zoe too.. Give me $100 and I won't bid on her.") Any agreement where money or cards change hands is binding, anything else is only as good as a player's word.

7. After the round in which someone announces Last Call, go back to the board and first player begins first actual game turn. Note that players have already picked starting locations, so unless you opt for last call, that's where you start.

The object is simply to speed up the early game, but it could give players a chance for some fun interaction and sometimes-needed dogpiling. I can't imagine there would be any king making at this point, since no one has started working on jobs or objectives.

I haven't played with bounty hunters yet. If you see a problem with that or have an idea to make it work better, please share. I would appreciate any constructive criticism.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Maiz
United States
Palmyra
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We thought about a draft method for faster setup and games; this one sounds like it would work good too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Misha Sumra
msg tools
Interesting... Just looking for clarification on some things

1) Discard from *every deck*; Is that Contacts as well as Supply decks?

2) If you Deal for a job, do you have to take the top deck one? Or can you pick from the discards? The rule isn't entirely clear.

3) I don't see the point of the extra Fly action on declaring Last Call. Thematically, I can see the logic of the character saying "Right, I'm out of here" and trying to steal a march on there competition; But presumably the player chose their location for a reason, why would they move?

4) Assuming the players start with the usual fuel & parts, Isn't $5000 quite generous? Starting with $3k is pretty good initial funds, have you done experiments with different amounts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Dennis
United States
Waterloo
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Just supply decks. Hand out one job to each player as normal.
2. Seems clear to me:
Quote:
-Deal to draw one Job card. You must take that card or one in its discard pile.

3. It's exactly to get a head start on their competition. You declare Last Call because you're ready to get on with the game or your sock of watching people build up. You might move somewhere to start a job or get closer to a goal you didn't have before the draft started.
4. No, that's just to give people more options. I suppose it should be adjusted based on scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.