Subject: Going to bg-ing where bg-ing isn't the primary attraction? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anybody go to a boardgaming get together ending up or knowing before hand that board gaming wouldn't be the primary interest? I can say that I've changed in that regard, as it used to be about "must get in 'x' amount of gaming in!", but now, I'm more "meh" about things.

For me, if it's party/social games, I'm in it more so to chat with folks, and for the food.

When I went to Gen Con, it's big enough that I did everything else humanely possible except for boardgaming since it's mostly covered by my other groups.

I've been to some nights where games that were up for playing were ones that I didn't have an interest in playing, even though I could've gone through the motions (e.g. TtR US map.. played this a gazillion times. Call me if there's a more recent map like Africa, Asia, or Deutschland. E.g.2 I loved Dominion, but I'd rather take my chances and see if another more interesting game occurs. Plus, me against 3 noobs, I actually don't feel too good about kicking their asses).

If it's held at a restaurant or eatery, then at times, my main agenda was to use gift cards or coupons. Getting in gaming really was secondary. And then stopping by at a store or grocer while I was down in that part of town.

Another thing is sometimes, the games suggested just don't fit the bill. The groups are scattered enough, or are informal enough that if there's enough people, they start ASAP. They don't try to see if all 14 other people will be fine. As such, sometimes you get shut out, or a game you really wanted to get in doesn't happen. I've had enough disappointments that I've shrugged it off, and just chat with stragglers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.