Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I just played my first game of Mage Wars using the pre-designed spellbooks. My opponent was a Warlock who spent his first few turns putting down equipment and enhancing his armor and damage. I was a wizard that spent my first few turns upgrading my chanelling.

As early as I could, I summed Gorgon Archer. It has a lot of hitpoints, regenerates, and has a ranged attack that inflicts Weaken conditions pretty easily. Over the next couple of rounds he hit the Gorgon with some interesting curse enchantments, but those all got Nullfied, Stolen, or Reversed.

I hit him with a Weakness counter -- so he gets -1 to melee. Near as we can tell, that lasts foreever because he had no spell that could remove it. And every turn he got one or two more Weakness counters, and I couldn't find anything in the rulebook about a maximum limit.

By the time he had -8 to his melee, we just stopped counting. It wasn't too long later that I had him Restained in a Poison Gas Cloud under the effect of a Mana Syphon. Although I was at lower life, he had no way of casting spells and couldn't make any significant attacks and couldn't move so he conceded.

Anyway, my question is: did we handle the Weaken counters correctly? I see in the rulebook that its possible to have a duplicate counter, and even mentions in the rulebook that having two Weaken counters will incur a -2 penalty. But does that mean someone can have 2, or 3, or even 8 Weaken counters on them? Or does "duplicate" only mean an extra one, implying a limit of two counters?

Without a spell to get rid of them, they never go away on their own, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Koenig
United States
Alexandria
VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, Weak Conditions stay and they stack unless removed through a spell/priestess ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Albritton
United States
Tupelo
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What do you mean by "he had no way of casting spells"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kubigaruma wrote:
What do you mean by "he had no way of casting spells"?

His words, really. He was down to 7 channelling, very little mana, and he didn't see any spells in his spellbook that could have helped him out of the poison cloud.

Oh, and I had stolen one of his Deathlink curses and placed in on my Gorgon, so I was regenerating 2 life per turn while he was losing life every turn and suffering multiple attacks.

I'm still not quite sure where he went wrong. He was inflicting a LOT of damage. He says he should have laid out his Mana Crystals early when he saw me doing so, but I think he was right to build up and go straight offensive. I think he underestimated the importance of summoning creatures. The only thing he ever summoned was a bat, which I made short work of with an Arcane Zap. That was wasted mana early, and I think it discouraged him from summoning or from regarding my Gorgon as much threat until it was too late.

Personally, I think if he could have gotten off one or two ranged attack spells from where he was instead of conceding, he might have killed me. I was down to 8 life. On the other hand, I might have just cast Minor Heal next turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Douglass
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gorgon Archer can be brutal, particularly against a solo mage. Summoning another creature would have helped, as would have focusing on the Gorgon Archer before attacking the Wizard. A Dark Pact Slayer Blood Reaper in particular is a relatively cheap investment that can go a long way. Level 1 creatures with 0 armor tend to be particularly weak against the Wizard in low numbers due to Arcane Zap.

He could have also potentially killed you with curses + attack spells, but it sounds like the mana differential was pretty bad by that point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ananda
msg tools
lordrahvin wrote:

Oh, and I had stolen one of his Deathlink curses and placed in on my Gorgon, so I was regenerating 2 life per turn while he was losing life every turn and suffering multiple attacks.

Minor note for future reference: Death Link is Dark Mage Only, so it cannot be stolen by the wizard.

Yeah, stacking weak conditions can absolutely wreck a solo mage. Purify can be helpful in such a spellbook to get rid of the weak conditions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.