Subject: expansion boards are a waste of space rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
july mjj
Philippines
Cebu City
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the 3 expansion boards takes too much space for what they do. i play in small table spaces most of the time (small houses = small furniture in these part of the world). they could have easily fitted those 3 in 1 board and then plop it in the middle of the main board (which is empty space anyway), somewhat similar with how it was done with Village: Inn. anyone else find this annoying?

also, anyone thought of creating a PnP version combining all 3 boards? i'd surely print it. hehe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
shichigatsu wrote:
anyone else find this annoying?

No.

The game takes up a lot of space outside the board anyway with people having their inns and quest cards. We find it easily slips in between the player boards and doesn't take up any more area than the actual playing area.

I think the extra boards keeps it nice and modular without having to have all 3 in the game at once. Board overlays can look nice but can also be a bit of a hassle if they get knocked about and start covering up other areas of the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Saloff
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
He's a card player, gambler, scoundrel. You'd like him.
badge
Thank you, to whoever gifted me the Geek Citizenship Recognition badge! You're a pretty cool person, anonymous BGGer!
mbmbmbmbmb
shichigatsu wrote:
the 3 expansion boards takes too much space for what they do. i play in small table spaces most of the time (small houses = small furniture in these part of the world). they could have easily fitted those 3 in 1 board and then plop it in the middle of the main board (which is empty space anyway), somewhat similar with how it was done with Village: Inn. anyone else find this annoying?

also, anyone thought of creating a PnP version combining all 3 boards? i'd surely print it. hehe

My group definitely finds it annoying as well, and we have a pretty big table.

I wish they would have shaped the expansion boards in a long, thin column board the length of the main board, or do like you said and make it an overlay that fits on the main board. Even the Corruption board maybe should've been handled different imo.

My group likes playing with both expansions at once so then we have to make room for all 3 boards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Drazen
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The game takes up a lot of space outside the board anyway with people having their inns and quest cards. We find it easily slips in between the player boards and doesn't take up any more area than the actual playing area.

The only time I've been annoyed by the expansion board size is playing 2P at home, because there's barely enough room on the table for us to play the base game.

Waterdeep has a fairly large footprint anyway, so if you're playing 3P/4P, like you say, there is probably space between two players for expansion stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
No problems here. My gaming group loves the game, pure and simple.

-Ski

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hall
United Kingdom
Hemel Hempstead
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No problems here either, although we normally play on a big dining room table.

shichigatsu wrote:
they could have easily fitted those 3 in 1 board and then plop it in the middle of the main board (which is empty space anyway

We put all the adventurers and the coins in this space, although I do like this idea. I don't think the corrpution would fit, but there's definitely space for some (perhaps smaller) buildings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
july mjj
Philippines
Cebu City
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chrishall20 wrote:
We put all the adventurers and the coins in this space, although I do like this idea. I don't think the corrpution would fit, but there's definitely space for some (perhaps smaller) buildings.

we used to do this, dump all the cubes and money in the middle but stopped doing this once the expansion came with it's "place X in an action space" which can get mixed up with the supply pile.

the corruption track could easily be done like how they did with the round marker, just stack the skulls and have a linear presentation from -1 to - 9. if the board is redesigned, it could fit under the round marker, and either do away with the additional agents placement or transfer it on the upper part of intrigue discard pile .

Teamski wrote:
No problems here. My gaming group loves the game, pure and simple.

-Ski

just to be clear, i also really like the game, especially with the expansion. i just have a minor annoyance with the expansion board's footprint.

Mattr0polis wrote:
I wish they would have shaped the expansion boards in a long, thin column board the length of the main board, or do like you said and make it an overlay that fits on the main board. Even the Corruption board maybe should've been handled different imo.

a vertically-oriented board with also be nice, the new action spaces in each expansion board could easily fit the size of 3 building tiles. this would be similar to the upcoming Alien Frontiers: Outer Belt expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonardo Alberto Souza
Brazil
Niterói
RJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
take a look at this http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1225930/my-board-creation-lo...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.