Luke Phillips
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb


WIP thread for Dice Must Die.

This game has been entered into the Dice Game Design Contest

Summary: Dice Must Die is a theme-less little time-waster. Something to do while your DM/GM argues with "pedantic Bob" about why his Lawful Good Paladin shouldn't be attacking a villager who just spilt his drink

Rules

Dice Must Die (DmD)
or All Dice Go To Heaven (Don't They?)


Components
DmD uses a standard set of 6 RPG dice. I.e. a d4, d6, d8, d10, d12 and a d20

Players: 1
Playtime: 2 minutes

Goal
Your goal is to kill all your dice.

How to Play
The dice can be in 3 different states; dead, alive and in limbo. All dice start as alive. Alive and in limbo dice are considered to be active. Dead dice are removed from the game and will take no more part in proceedings.

Play proceeds as follows
1. Roll all alive dice
2. If the total of two or more active dice adds up to the value of another active dice, you can kill the single dice that shows the total. This dice is now dead.
3. If two or more active dice show the same number, all dice showing that number can be killed. All such dice are now dead.
4. If no dice can be killed then you must put aside 1 dice of your choosing. This dice is now in limbo, and will not be re-rolled in subsequent turns.

• Any in limbo dice used to kill another dice are resurrected and become alive again.

Continue rolling until you have no more alive dice, if all dice are now dead you win, if some dice are still in limbo you lose.


Rules Pdf
4 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Jewell
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Dice Must Die - 2014 Dice Game Design Contest - Public Playtesting
Looks cool for a very lite solitaire game. I'll download a dice app and try it later today.

This game definitely would benefit from electronic treatment (app) by tracking turns, certain combos for achievements, etc. to make it more interesting.

I'll let you know how it goes and provide further feedback at that time.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Dice Must Die - 2014 Dice Game Design Contest - Public Playtesting
I love that there's interaction between different dices, the balancing must be hard, but that's for later.

I imagine the challenge is how many times you rolled to kill all the dice. However I wonder how much decision there is in play? It looks a little too deterministic on the rolls alone?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghislain LEVEQUE
France
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Dice Must Die - 2014 Dice Game Design Contest - Public Playtesting
Tried it quickly with a dice rolling app and ended up losing because I only had the d12 and d20 remaining, one being in limbo, you roll the other one and if you don't fall on the same number, you have to put that other die in limbo and loose.

I think the decision part is what die to choose to kill when you have multiple choices.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Phillips
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Dice Must Die - 2014 Dice Game Design Contest - Public Playtesting
courtjus wrote:
Tried it quickly with a dice rolling app and ended up losing because I only had the d12 and d20 remaining, one being in limbo, you roll the other one and if you don't fall on the same number, you have to put that other die in limbo and loose.

I think the decision part is what die to choose to kill when you have multiple choices.


Yes that's right. The only way to win the game is by rolling a double on the last round, so you need to kill dice in a way that gives you the best chance of doing so. Basically hold on to the d4
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad N
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
Unique titles I've played in 2019
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Dice Must Die - 2014 Dice Game Design Contest - Public Playtesting
Tuism wrote:
I love that there's interaction between different dices, the balancing must be hard, but that's for later.

I imagine the challenge is how many times you rolled to kill all the dice. However I wonder how much decision there is in play? It looks a little too deterministic on the rolls alone?

These are the same thoughts that entered my mind after reading the rules. I really like the idea of using so many different types of dice where their results are impacting one another... that's clever.

I've tried playing a few times and it does create a bit of an interesting, little numbers puzzle. One question came up for me regarding the rules...
Quote:
4. If no dice can be killed then you must put aside 1 dice of your choosing. This dice is now in limbo, and will not be re-rolled in subsequent turns.

Can I choose to put aside 1 die (in limbo) instead of killing a die (or dice) even though one or more dice could have been killed? Based on the wording of the rules, I assumed that the answer is yes. With rules 2 and 3, I can always choose to kill a die if it can be killed but I never am required to do so. Is that right?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad N
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
Unique titles I've played in 2019
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Dice Must Die - 2014 Dice Game Design Contest - Public Playtesting
Also, I think I could use a die (A) in rule 2 to add up to a total which kills a different die and then also use that same die (A) in rule 3 to kill itself and one or more other dice. Is this correct?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Phillips
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Dice Must Die - 2014 Dice Game Design Contest - Public Playtesting
bnordeng wrote:

Can I choose to put aside 1 die (in limbo) instead of killing a die (or dice) even though one or more dice could have been killed? Based on the wording of the rules, I assumed that the answer is yes. With rules 2 and 3, I can always choose to kill a die if it can be killed but I never am required to do so. Is that right?


bnordeng wrote:

Also, I think I could use a die (A) in rule 2 to add up to a total which kills a different die and then also use that same die (A) in rule 3 to kill itself and one or more other dice. Is this correct?


Yes and yes

I did consider making it so that you could only transfer 1 dice per roll (i.e. either kill one or move to limbo) but having more options makes it more fun I think. In fact you could kill more than 1 die by rule 2 if you like as long as each death is in order.

By that I mean, if you rolled a 1, 2, 3, 5 and 11 and decided to kill the 5 you couldn't then use the 5 to kill the 11. It would be perfectly ok to kill the 11 first then kill the 5.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exit 191
United States
Buckeye
Arizona
flag msg tools
Look to the past and learn for the future.
badge
Made a little punk playlist (the purple circle); Celtic Pirate Music, traditional songs and songs of history.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Dice Must Die - 2014 Dice Game Design Contest - Public Playtesting
Your rules pdf is not open to public viewing, so I can't see them! cry
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Phillips
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Dice Must Die - 2014 Dice Game Design Contest - Public Playtesting
jeRm! wrote:
Your rules pdf is not open to public viewing, so I can't see them! cry


Whoops Should work now.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Phillips
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Dice Must Die - 2014 Dice Game Design Contest - Public Playtesting
MicroStack Games wrote:
Have you considered adding a theme even if standard dice are being used?


Well..., I did consider writing some sort of hyperbolic intro (A child is born who is destined to rule the world blah blah blah) for a joke, and there's obvious allusions to D&D (do you like my logo? ), but in the end I decided that for a 2 minute time waster any theme was going to feel pasted on anyway.

I'm happy with the game as an abstract dice roller.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.