Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Super Dungeon Explore» Forums » General

Subject: Using suoer glue after trying plastic cement rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zeev Tochterman
msg tools
So I got the game and was going to attempt to glue the pieces together but since this is my first time gluing miniatures, I didn't know what glue to use so I went to a hobby store. I asked what glue should I use to glue plastic figures and he recommended the plastic cement glue. When trying to put the pieces together, it didn't seem like it was holding all that great but I thought, ok I'll let it sit overnight and see how it is tomorrow. I was browsing these forums about it tonight and find out that superglue is really the only way to go apparently. So I'm concerned that these pieces won't hold together very and I'll have to use superglue and re-assemble them.

So my question is, do I need to clean out the plastic cement from all the pieces before applying super glue in case it doesn't hold well? Should I just buy a new set of pieces? I don't know if it's safe to put super glue over the plastic cement, even if its dry.

Thanks for your help.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately you were advised incorrectly. Plastic glue does work on a lot of plastics but not on the type of plastic used by SPM. You will need superglue to put them together. I recommend Gorilla Superglue. I found out about it when trying to find out how to put my own SDE miniatures together and now I swear by it. I would clean off the poly cement using a craft knife if you can but you might be able to just put superglue over the top of the poly cement. I would just try it on one piece and see if it works but it would create a stronger bond if you got rid of the poly cement first.
4 
 Thumb up
5.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott C
United States
Troy
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The plastic glue works by dissolving the plastic and then re-setting to fuse the two pieces together. Unfortunately, this means that it only works on certain types of plastics (which are common in modelling and plastic miniatures manufacture, but not ubiquitous).

The good news is, when it doesn't work, the solvent simply evaporates leaving virtually no residue to worry about (though it will mar paint and polyurethane finishes in the process, so you still need to keep a neat work area when using it) -- you should be able to superglue the pieces with no problems or additional prep.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Lucas
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools
It's a perfect day for some mayhem!
badge
It's a perfect day for some mayhem!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I made that mistake once. I pulled everything apart and washed the models in soap and hot water. After that the superglue worked fine.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
I haven't tried Gorilla brand myself, but I used Loctite "Ultra Gel Control" for my entire SDE assembly. I found the viscosity very handy for getting the glue exactly where I wanted it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark De Lorenzo
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jonahmaul wrote:
I recommend Gorilla Superglue. I found out about it when trying to find out how to put my own SDE miniatures together and now I swear by it.

Absolutely PERFECT!! Read your post, stopped at Walmart, got 2 bottles of it, and started assembling. Wow, perfect consistency and fast drying. Extremely solid bond. [worth a tip]
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EnjoyRC wrote:
jonahmaul wrote:
I recommend Gorilla Superglue. I found out about it when trying to find out how to put my own SDE miniatures together and now I swear by it.

Absolutely PERFECT!! Read your post, stopped at Walmart, got 2 bottles of it, and started assembling. Wow, perfect consistency and fast drying. Extremely solid bond. [worth a tip]


Why thank you very much Yeah, I am a big advocate of Gorilla now. It tends to be a little more expensive than other brands but I find that you need less of it and spend less time re-glueing stuff so it works out the same in the end.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Prozinski
United States
O'Fallon
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Stop touching me!
badge
You're far too trusting!
Avatar
mb
I recommend Plastic Weld by Plastruct. It works like your regular model glue by melting the plastic together. You can find it in most model shops. Just make sure you use it in a well ventilated area. While Super Glue (Cyanoacrylite) will work, parts will break off eventually as super glue doesn't have good shear strength. This normally happens when you drop them by accident. With a proper model glue this won't happen nearly as much as the plastic will have to break instead of the glue join.

Another problem with superglue, is that if you have to glue a part back on and you've painted the figs, you'll likely get crazing. Which is a white dust like residue around the glue joint and is hard to get off. This makes your paint job look bad, unless you are really careful.

Sure super glue works and is quicker, but I don't like using it myself. Gorilla glue brand is good, but I only use it on metal miniatures.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Delthos wrote:
I recommend Plastic Weld by Plastruct. It works like your regular model glue by melting the plastic together. You can find it in most model shops. Just make sure you use it in a well ventilated area. While Super Glue (Cyanoacrylite) will work, parts will break off eventually as super glue doesn't have good shear strength. This normally happens when you drop them by accident. With a proper model glue this won't happen nearly as much as the plastic will have to break instead of the glue join.

Another problem with superglue, is that if you have to glue a part back on and you've painted the figs, you'll likely get crazing. Which is a white dust like residue around the glue joint and is hard to get off. This makes your paint job look bad, unless you are really careful.

Sure super glue works and is quicker, but I don't like using it myself. Gorilla glue brand is good, but I only use it on metal miniatures.


Whilst what you say about Super Glue is true (although I have dropped SDE miniatures and they have not broken, and you can avoid frosting after painting if you are careful) I am 95% sure that Plastic Weld is a form of Poly Cement and so will not work on SDE miniatures. Not sure if there's different formulas in USA/UK but can you confirm that you've used this successfully on SDE miniatures? One thing to note is that if plastic miniatures break and you glue them back together with poly cement then you can melt the paint too so if Plastic Weld does work on SDE miniatures then this would be an issue.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Price
United States
GALESBURG
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Super Dungeon Explore figs are made of PVC. You can use superglue to put the figs together, but as Delthos mentioned, you will may run into issues if the glue is anywhere except for directly within the joint. Also, I have ran into crazy glue becoming brittle on PVC components. Your best bet is to go to a hardware store and get some PVC weld. It's relatively inexpensive and easy to use. This is the glue that plumbers use to hold all of your plastic pipes together in your house. Think of it along the same lines as model glue for your standard styrene plastic models, only made specifically for PVC. It doesn't dry as fast as super glue, but it does dry quickly. I put all of my figs together with PVC weld and it works amazing.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan MacDonald
Canada
flag msg tools
CaptMilo wrote:
Super Dungeon Explore figs are made of PVC. You can use superglue to put the figs together, but as Delthos mentioned, you will may run into issues if the glue is anywhere except for directly within the joint. Also, I have ran into crazy glue becoming brittle on PVC components. Your best bet is to go to a hardware store and get some PVC weld. It's relatively inexpensive and easy to use. This is the glue that plumbers use to hold all of your plastic pipes together in your house. Think of it along the same lines as model glue for your standard styrene plastic models, only made specifically for PVC. It doesn't dry as fast as super glue, but it does dry quickly. I put all of my figs together with PVC weld and it works amazing.


So does the PVC weld leave any residue that needs to be cleaned off before painting? I have not got my SDE set in yet should be within a few days so I would like to start putting everything together soon. Would there be any tricks to make sure that I do not get gobs of glue oozing out of any joints I attach, like say a thin brush or using a cut end of a Q-tip?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Price
United States
GALESBURG
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The PVC weld goes on very thin and most of what doesn't weld the two pieces together evaporates. You may find a really thin layer on the pieces after it is put on, but I always prime my figures before painting and it has not been a problem.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.