Descent: Journeys in the Dark» Forums » General

Subject: what lvl of players?? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Jankowski
United States
New York
flag msg tools
I expect to be receving Descent tomorrow in the mail, at least thats what UPS tracking website says. So, hopefully, I will be battling minions and collecting magical treasures by tomorrow night. I was just curious how many players would be recommended to play with on the first try. Also, how does the game scale from 2 to 4 heros??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think most will agree that 3 heroes is the sweet spot. Which means that technically, you need four players. The first quest is not hard for the heroes, so even if you have only two heroes, it should be quite doable.

Having two heroes is mainly harder for the heroes due to less actions and less LOS capability (thus easier to spawn creatures closer). I would recommend putting the "Boggs the Rat" familiar skill (in the Wizardry Deck) as one of the skills for the heroes if there are only two to reduce the LOS problems.

Note that if someone in your group is comfortable with tactical dungeon crawls, it's not hard for that person to control two heroes, even the first time. Three heroes might be a little much for a first-timer.

To make the first time smoother, my biggest recommendation is to print out a summary for:
- Movement Costs
- Hero Action Types and Order Types
- Shopping in Town
as those things are what you are going to be referring to the rulebook a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Brian that 3 heroes is best.

A couple of things to add:
- The summary on the back of the quest guide covers those points mentioned by Brian (turn action summary for heroes, movement costs, and town shopping costs).

- Keep in mind that there are some typos and omissions in the rule book so make sure to read the FAQ from FFG (http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/PDF/descentfaq.pdf).

I wish you well on your first Descent experience, and since you will undoubtedly be the OL, good luck destroying those pesky heroes devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Jankowski
United States
New York
flag msg tools
haha i like that pesky heros comment. Ok, thanks guys, sounds good

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.