Popular Tags: [View All]
william hessian
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of all the social media websites Reddit is the one that confuses me the most. Every few months I log in and try to get active and start using it and once again I find myself lost and annoyed with it.

You can see that I have posted things in the post which might have been invisible posts.

My Reddit is here: http://www.reddit.com/user/williamhessian/

I just posted about the Robot Card Game (http://www.robotcardgame.com) hoping to get a little buzz, but even after sharing the link on our Twitter (500 followers) and Facebook (200 likes) we still get no results.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks for boosting my results, or using the site more effectively?

Any help would be awesome! Thanks
William
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Sauer
United States
Hamilton Square
NJ
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.shootagaingames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
While I can't comment on your question as Reddit is a mystery to me too, I'd like to add the same question about Pinterest. I've posted pins, but have no clue as to how to get them in front of people. I'm not sure if this is just an old person's not understanding this new fangled blinkity blank or if they are actually that confusing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
When I click on your profile on Reddit it says that page does not exist.

Seems like you've been shadow-banned. Getting shadow banned on Reddit means that everything looks normal to you but no one else can see your posts. In other words, you've been banned but you don't know it.

My guess is that if you are shadow banned it could be because you were attempting to promote your own product? I know that is usually done in response to spam. I'm not sure what you posted but Reddit can get strict about promotional links even though sometimes some slip through.

You can buy ads on Reddit that are pretty cheap considering. I think you should read up on the rules for promoting items on Reddit.

Go to r/boardgames and see how other people have done it, message the mods before you post.

But first off, you're going to need a new account.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
william hessian
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
JessA thank you very much for this info! Shadow banned, that sounds bad. I really appreciate knowing this, because that would make sense. I will try to clear it up and read up on the rules and regulations. Thanks!

William
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Proper-Lee
United States
Levittown
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ultimately, one of the biggest problems for most people trying to boost their babies is that that is the reason they signed up to places like BGG or Reddit, so the first things anyone sees from them is about their project.

The problem with this approach is that the users have no prior interaction or contributions to the communities, and the focus on the baby (which invariably is either "completed and looking for a publisher" or increasingly "just launched on (crowdfunding site)" ) with no other posts is the red flag that makes you look like just another spammer who wants to come in, get backers, and then vanish from the communities involved.

True or not, the impression comes from many marketing people looking to use the communities as a funding source rather than a community to be a part of (see what has happened to the LinkedIn Design forums that are heavily peppered with people who only want free marketing of their products or services) but no actual community building, and I suspect Reddit's crowd feels similarly since they are such a huge potential market.

The recent banning of onGamers from Reddit and the effect it is having on its viewer traffic and income illustrates how important the communities can be for marketing departments, but also ignores that these are communities first, IMHO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Here, if you get banned, you know it.

Blood in the streets--ye gods!

laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
williamhessian wrote:
JessA thank you very much for this info! Shadow banned, that sounds bad. I really appreciate knowing this, because that would make sense. I will try to clear it up and read up on the rules and regulations. Thanks!

William

Shadow banning seems so nasty to me, the idea behind it is pretty brilliant - if an automated spambot thinks that everything looks normal it stops them from creating a different account.

But I just think of the people who get incorrectly shadow banned and are posting away on Reddit and no one ever responds ever. You're invisible and you don't know it, you just think everyone is ignoring you and you don't know why ---- it could be the premise of horror film!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.