Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Khang Wey Cham
Malaysia
Bayan Lepas
Penang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a situation where one of the player do nothing on his turn. He took a mana die and re-roll it and return it to the source. He claimed that he already did his action, and did not discard at least a card.

Does this allowed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
m Vlad
Romania
flag msg tools
mb
You MUST discard at least one card if you decide you don´t want to do anything this turn.

I don´t think you can consume mana just for the sake of it, you should consume it ON something(in this case, on a card).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Erb
Germany
Ulm
flag msg tools
mb
kwcham wrote:
I had a situation where one of the player do nothing on his turn. He took a mana die and re-roll it and return it to the source. He claimed that he already did his action, and did not discard at least a card.

Does this allowed?

No, it's not. Actually, there are two rule breaks here:

1. You can not take a mana die unless you spend it on something. No rerolling just for the sake of rerolling. "Using Mana", 3.b, page 4.

2. You always have to discard at least one card in your turn. If you are unable to do so, you have to announce the end of the round. "A Player's Turn", 4.a, page 5.

Edit: Inserted rule references.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
kwcham wrote:
He claimed that he already did his action, and did not discard at least a card.

He 'claimed' he did his action? Did he explain exactly what he did? Was anyone watching him?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Khang Wey Cham
Malaysia
Bayan Lepas
Penang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:
kwcham wrote:
He claimed that he already did his action, and did not discard at least a card.

He 'claimed' he did his action? Did he explain exactly what he did? Was anyone watching him?

He re-roll the die and said that he already took the action and don't need to discard a card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
kwcham wrote:
He re-roll the die and said that he already took the action and don't need to discard a card.

So, he's playing the game in secret without him telling anyone what he did and with nobody else noticing what he did?

I'm confused here. When you asked him what he did, did he only say "I've done my action", or did he actually explain what he did?

If he is being deliberately quiet and not explaining things, I'd find another person to play the game with
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
The impression I get by what he meant was that re-rolling the mana die *was* his action, which is not correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Or... it could be

"What did you do?"
"Took my action"
"Care to explain?"
"Nope"
"What this burned down monastery here then."
"Dunno, wasn't me, must have been someone else."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bishop
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does this rule also count for the Night Tactic card Mana Search. Can I:

- Start my turn.
- Re-roll two dice from the source (per Mana Search).
- Announce the end of my turn.
- Discard a card.

I would say that I can because I'm not "taking" mana and the outcome of the die roll may decide whether or not I want to do anything. Maybe I'm looking for green to power a move card to get where I'm going.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Cush1978 wrote:
Does this rule also count for the Night Tactic card Mana Search. Can I:

- Start my turn.
- Re-roll two dice from the source (per Mana Search).
- Announce the end of my turn.
- Discard a card.

I would say that I can because I'm not "taking" mana and the outcome of the die roll may decide whether or not I want to do anything. Maybe I'm looking for green to power a move card to get where I'm going.

Yes, you can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnesi
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As other have said, there is no requirement to do "something" on your turn; the only requirement is
A player's turn, page 5 wrote:
4. If you do not forfeit your turn, you have two options: playing a Regular turn, or Resting.
a. In both cases, you have to play or discard at least one card during or at the end of your turn (except if your hand is empty but there are still cards in your Deed deck at the beginning of your turn).

Also:
End of turn, page 9 wrote:
7. Drawing new cards:
a. Before drawing, you may discard any number of non-Wound cards from your hand, if you wish.
• If you did not play or discard any cards during your turn, you must discard at least one card now.

The following examples are incorrect (i.e., you have to discard a card in the end-of-turn sequence) although you are doing something in your turn:
1. Use your move skills to assault a keep. Don't block, take some wounds, and kill the enemy with attack skills and/or units. End of turn.
2. Provoke a rampage enemy. Activate a unit for range attack. Kill the enemy. End of turn.
3. Interact in a monastery. With your reputation bonus (and maybe some interaction skill or units) buy some healing points. Throw away some wounds of your hand. End of turn.

The last example is tricky. If you only have wounds in your hand, you can't play or discard a card. In this case, you have to take a slow recovery turn were you can't interact, even if you were able to heal all the wounds with interaction. An exception would be playing some skill that allows you to discard or play a wound, like Power of Pain
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Keys
Australia
flag msg tools
syzygia wrote:
3. Interact in a monastery. With your reputation bonus (and maybe some interaction skill or units) buy some healing points. Throw away some wounds of your hand. End of turn.

Something similar to this is possible, if you start the round with no cards in hand, but cards in your draw pile, you could heal a unit with skills or other units, interact with influence from reputation, skills and/or units, recruit as above, or use a mana dice on a unit for some effect.

All without playing a card... but this is an edge case, and unlikely in most games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnesi
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you're right. In fact, if you have no cards in your hand but your draw pile isn't empty, examples 1 and 2 are also right, I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Favazza
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
He did take an action! He took the "cheating" action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Khang Wey Cham
Malaysia
Bayan Lepas
Penang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:
kwcham wrote:

So, he's playing the game in secret without him telling anyone what he did and with nobody else noticing what he did?

I'm confused here. When you asked him what he did, did he only say "I've done my action", or did he actually explain what he did?

If he is being deliberately quiet and not explaining things, I'd find another person to play the game with

He claimed that taking a mana die and re-roll was his action for the turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Khang Wey Cham
Malaysia
Bayan Lepas
Penang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another question, can I take a mana die (without using it) and re-roll it, discard a card and end my turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex P
France
La Plaine St-Denis
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kwcham wrote:
Another question, can I take a mana die (without using it) and re-roll it, discard a card and end my turn?

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/16304349#16304349
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Keys
Australia
flag msg tools
kwcham wrote:

Jan Erb answered that question in the 2nd reply in this thread..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Coe
United Arab Emirates
Abu Dhabi
Abu Dhabi
flag msg tools
I like cats...
badge
...but I usually can't finish a whole one.
mbmbmbmbmb
Bart_aus wrote:
kwcham wrote:

Jan Erb answered that question in the 2nd reply in this thread.. :(

He didn't say it was a different question. :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.