Subject: Original v Reload rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a whole bunch of the original cards picked up fairly cheaply over the years in eBay job lots as well as a couple of starters bought way back when it first came out. However, although intrigued by the theme and game (hence picking it up), I never played it beyond a skim of the rule-book.

The new 'reload' version is likely to see a resurgence of play so I might actually get to play Doomtown - but is the original game close enough that I can use my original stuff? I don't mean can I mix the cards, as I'd imagine that wouldn't be possible but is the rule set close enough so that someone who plays the reload version will essentially be able to jump straight into the original version if I provide a few decks.

Or, is the classic version basically now shelf-fodder and all future play of Doomtown will be with the reload version?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
It is my belief almost no play of the old game will happen anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Sheffield
United States
Aberdeen
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadly, shelf fodder except I suspect the will be two or three events at big cons each year and there will be a few old hands like myself that may continue to pick up the classic cards for nostalgia/collections.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've built some decks that are new rule friendly but I think only the nostalgic die-hards will really use the old cards in the future to be honest - meaning they'll be a tough and confusing sell on new comers.

A lot of the cards refer to old mechanics and are essentially useless without heavy reworking - and on that note a lot of the old rules have been rehauled and vastly improved.

I'm going to try to mix them together for private friendly games but I doubt it'll have much legs as the new card pool increases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Kernel
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The completionist in me however would like to buy some of those cards of you if you wont be using them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.