Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Pitts
United Kingdom
Nr. Barnstaple
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

Just starting out with this great game (have the Core set!) and was wondering what expansion packs you guys would recommend that I buy first to get a more balanced set of mini's for Rebels and Imperium?

Any help appreciated

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Buisman
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Depends on your level of commitment to the game and the route you want to take. I'd recommend picking up a second core set so you can field a bit more than one x-wing against 2 TIEs. Also for the dice and a second damage deck. Then I would go to the store, and take in the shelf space assigned to the expansions. Look at all the lovely ships. Is there one in particular that catches your eye? Any fond childhood memories of Y-Wings zipping by on the silver screen? Resist the urge to buy more than one TIE advanced though. Other than that, most ships are viable in multiples. Even the large one if those take your fancy. You could also buy a Falcon and a slave 1.
I'd also recommend just one of the X-wing expansion pack, initially.
If you want to field a swarm of 7 TIEs, I'd recommend buying 3 cores in total and one TIE expansion. This nets you all the unique pilots you'll want plus enough ships for less than the price of individual blisters.

So long story short: buy what you like, but buy just one TIE Advanced. You 'll thank me in the long run.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
A second core set is good value for money and gives you a lot of convenience (you'll need extra dice and it is good to have movement templates and damage deck for both sides).

But it is really upto you. Select a ship you would like to have, then select a good ship to balance (compare mainly the average points costs) for the other side.

I went with:
- Core set (to play and try the game)
- A second core set immediately, on Christmas Eve (it was on sale and I got a discount on top)
- Y-Wing (it is a tank, with turret) and TIE Advanced (mostly for Vader)
- B-Wing and TIE Bomber
- Millennium Falcon and Imperial Aces (2 TIE Interceptors)

Now I'm waiting for Rebel Aces to add an A-Wing (and another B-Wing) to the mix.

For casual games, also print out / proxy the pilot (and upgrade) cards from the TIE Fighter and X-Wing expansions, especially if you get the second core set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Machin
Japan
Yokohama
Kanagawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
what's next?

Hit the search button and check the forums - this question comes up so often that you'll probably get a response if you type it in to google search.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan WI
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just to expand on what people are telling you:

You want a second core set for a couple of reasons. The first is that it's usually the most cost-effective way to get 3 more ships. X-wings and TIEs are staple ships for list building. You'll use them. The second core will also give you enough dice for pretty much any situation. It will also give you another range ruler and set of movement templates which will stop you from having to share them if someone else is playing with you using only your collection.

The regular ship cards are the same in the core-set and the blister packs for TIEs and X-wings. If you buy a TIE expansion pack, you'll still get Academy / Black Squadron / Obsidian Squadron pilots for example. But the blister pack will also include different unique pilots from those in the core set. For this reason you will eventually want at least one of each to give you the full set of pilot options. Remember that an X-wing, with yet more unique pilots, is also included with the GR-75.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Smits
Netherlands
Nijmegen
Nederland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I will just copy what I write to all these topics:

Core Set> Second Core Set > Millenium Falcon > Slave 1 > X-Wing Expansion = Tie Fighter Expansion > Pick what ships you'd like (Probably Tie Advanced first for Vader)

This is just for casual play. This way provides the most theme and adds the most to the game with each expansion

Second Core Set for 2 TIEs and a X-wing extra
Millenium Falcon for well duh... the Falcon. And it also adds a bunch of awesome upgrade cards
Slave 1, doesn't have the same "AWESOME!" factor as the Falcon for most, but it balances the game a little and more awesome upgrade Cards
The X-wing and TIE Fighter expansions are mainly for their pilots and upgrade cards, they provide nice synergy with the core set stuff.

And after that you just pick and choose what you like. Though you should try and keep your purchases balanced (so buy in pairs or alternate between factions). This is only if you buy for both sides of course (My friends wouldn't play against me with the Falcon when all they had were TIEs xD)

So follow this list, and then do some research into what of the other expansions you like best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dickson
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't overlook the expansions when it comes to TIEs and X-Wings though. They have some good stuff in them, especially Wedge and Howlrunner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J H
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This is more for when you're fully committed but worth noting, imo.

Some upgrades only come from specific expansions, so when you get heavily into list building, you might find yourself short on cards. It doesn't matter for friendly games, but officially you need each physical card that you'd want to field.

Advanced Sensors, for example, only comes with the Lambda and E-Wing (one each). So it might be worth looking at ships that you might have no strong desire to field (unfortunately).

Here's a list. I haven't fact checked every entry, but it looks totally well done and legit.

http://www.afewmaneuvers.com/topic/573-full-card-list-by-exp...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Edwards
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll echo the consensus here and say you'll eventually want to get a 2nd core set. It's the most economic way to get 3 more ships, plus you get extra templates, dice, etc. that a friend can use if he/she doesn't have a set. I don't know if I would buy another core set first--you probably want more of a taste for what the game offers before dropping more money on stuff you already have. I'd probably get the Falcon for the Rebs and maybe a TIE Advanced and either a Defender or Phantom. If you're just going for casual play, you really can't go too wrong (though you may want to avoid the support ships: HWK and and Lamda).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mork Toblerone
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The other responses here are good advice. I would just add that I, and most other players, like pretty much all the ships to one degree or another. So, one way to approach the decision of what to get next is to look for bargains. Look around at the different dealers (and places like the classifieds here or Craigslist or eBay) and if you can get one of the X-wing expansions for noticeably below MSRP, you'll probably be happy you bought it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Wilkins
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
To get a good flavor of what ships offer what I'd recommend:

1. Second Core set

2. Millenium Falcon
Millenium Falcon is no-brainer. 360 turret, can build it out like a tank. Can fly circles around asteroids.

3. Slave I
Slave 1 adds bombs, cannons. Quite a bit more sturdy than TIEs.

4. Y-Wing
Y-Wing adds ion turret, and more astromech options to share with X-Wings.

5. Imperial Aces
TIE Interceptors are THE most fun ships to fly.

6. A-Wing
Cheaper option when making a Rebel army, carries missiles.

7. TIE Advanced
Darth Vader.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Pitts
United Kingdom
Nr. Barnstaple
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! Thanks Guys for all the advice! I'll need to think on all that's been suggested.
The consensus appears to be around getting a second core set but I think I want to give myself all the unique card options I can so will probably hold off on that for a little while and try out some of the expansions. Hopefully I can pick a few up at a bargain price by shopping around, although the options are somewhat limited here in the UK.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Buisman
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Bookdepository has good deals all the time. And free shipping!
Stock seems low atm though, but I recently got a good deal on an interceptor. Wordery, sometimes, if you can get your hands on their discount codes.
Dunno about brick and mortar stores. Seems like the only people who are allowed to buy $15 core sets for example are our Yankee friends

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tantive IV
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.