Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Age of Industry» Forums » Variants

Subject: Additional sell goods action rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
MLeis
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At the end of last turn determine order of play and pay interest as usual. After that, in new order of play, each player gets to do one additional sell goods action. The game then ends.

The main motivation behind this is that I felt the official rules end the game somewhat artificially. (There is hardly a historical or logical reason for why the game ends when it does.) As a result, when players sometimes won't build a cotton mill / factory / port because they won't have time to flip it, this appears unthematic. This variant helps to solve this issue.

We have also experienced that the variant increases the climacticness and dramaticness of the final actions as it promotes setting up industries for a big sale (rather than just building an industry for an extra point). At the same time, the possibility that other players will ruin the sale by selling to the essential markets/ports themselves, makes turn order more important than it usually is in end-game.

We have tried this variant twice now, once with the Germany map and once with the Belgium map, and dare to recommend it. I am curious to see what others will think.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Allen
Australia
TERALBA
NSW
flag msg tools
The space left intentionally blank
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Fielmann wrote:
... As a result, when players sometimes won't build a cotton mill / factory / port because they won't have time to flip it...


You know that buildings score the same if they're flipped or unflipped, right?

Fielmann wrote:
... We have also experienced that the variant increases the climacticness and dramaticness of the final actions as it promotes setting up industries for a big sale (rather than just building an industry for an extra point)....


But money is only worth 0.2 of a point. A big sale is never going to be worth the same number of points as building. Even a level 3 cotton mill can only generate (by itself) $8 profit = 1.6 points, compare that to the 3 points you get just for building it (even with no sale). I'm wondering if you are scoring buildings properly in the first place.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MLeis
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, we score correctly Remember that you must pay the price for building the industry, whether or not you'll flip it. A level 3 cotton mill costs $12 (2.4 points), so you only get 0.6 points, provided that you build on an empty space and get resources for free. Meanwhile, making a sale from an already built level 3 cotton mill adds 4.0 points.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Allen
Australia
TERALBA
NSW
flag msg tools
The space left intentionally blank
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You originally said:
Fielmann wrote:
... As a result, when players sometimes won't build a cotton mill / factory / port because they won't have time to flip it...

That makes no sense to me.

Build = points

Why would you not build simply because you can't get a sale on top of that (which in many cases will be < 1pt anyway)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MLeis
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry if this was unclear. What I mean is that there are times where a player chooses to do x over y - where x is whatever and y is building an industry that they won't have time to flip - but would instead choose y if there was time to flip said industry.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell InGA
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tere mu sobre!

With your rule you are changing the balance between a Shipping strategy and Resource (providing) strategy. You are making a Consumer Goods (or whatever they are called) strategy more advantageous. (I really don't think this is something you want to do!)

I have two thoughts for you:

1. Play a game according to the rules (after discussing your variant). See how the game plays out.*

* Not every player in AOI should be trying to ship goods. If everyone is doing that you are missing the point of the game. Is anyone trying to capture the 2VP rail routes?

2. It's your game. If your gaming buddies like your variant then play it!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MLeis
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rules_heretic wrote:
With your rule you are changing the balance between a Shipping strategy and Resource (providing) strategy. You are making a Consumer Goods (or whatever they are called) strategy more advantageous.
Good point. To an extent, this might actually be self-correcting (less providing of resources brings their prices up, making providing resources more profitable) but it's something I'll definitely keep an eye on during the next testing.

Quote:
Not every player in AOI should be trying to ship goods. If everyone is doing that you are missing the point of the game. Is anyone trying to capture the 2VP rail routes?
The 2VP rail routes in Belgium have always been heavily contested. As for every player trying to ship goods I think I really haven't seen a game where a player doesn't ship at least once.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.