Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Robb
United States
Calais
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

some players in our game think reserving a card plus getting one gold chip is more of a punishment than a strategy

my idea was that the designer played this game out and made this decision probably due to game balance

any thoughts on the action of taking one gold chip plus reserving a card

detriment or good strategy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aditya C
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When we play usually someone will collect chips and then when they are 1 or 2 chips away they reserve to guarantee that they will get the card they are shooting for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben O'Steen
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reserving a card is as powerful as the card you take. I played a 2 player game recently where green gems were crucial to all the nobles, but painfully few ever showed up in the rows. Reserving a few crucial cards midway through the game before either of our engines had built up steam worked wonders and nabbed me a handful of nobles, one after the other.

With other player counts, more cards will be seen and built so it's less likely for a colour to be so rare.

It's not a punishment if you are taking useful cards that your opponents would nab for themselves and getting a gold/wild in the process. If you are just taking cards as a strategy then yeah, that's not going to work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Charles
United States
Lancaster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have to agree with Ben. There is a lot of strength in strategic reserving, as I've blocked people from winning with reserving, and often times I reserve early, and pay for it cheap or for free later. Many times that gold chip makes the difference in me getting another card too. I often don't even use that gold chip towards what I reserve, it could easily be a vehicle to get a wild when another player may be hoarding a color that I'm in need of.

So in small if you are reserving correctly, it's powerful. If you are reserving just to reserve, then you aren't going to find that it's helping you much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Van Hoeyveld
Belgium
Stabroek
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played a few 4 player games now and it doesn't feel like it's a punishment. Reserving the right cards at the right moment and getting the gold coin can both be quite helpful for yourself or to keep others from scoring that one winning card.

On the other hand, I have yet to win my first game of Splendor, so listening to me might be not the way to go. Allthough I've seen others win more than enough
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure why it would be considered a punishment. The last game I played I had reserved a card worth 4 points. It took me a while, between collecting some cheap cards for their discount and collecting gems w/o going over 10, but when the first player went out, it was nice for me to have enough gems/discounts to pay for that 4 point card on my last turn and get up to 17 points.

As others have mentioned, using a reserve action to block another player from taking a card they have been saving up for and worth several points is a good strategy as it denies that player a valuable card, and can buy you time to get more points while that other player is recovering and having to alter their plans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Riddell
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I first started playing I would possibly have agreed that the yellow + reserve is a last resort and possibly a bad one at that, but then we played with my eleven year old son who pretty much started out by reserving yellow cards that he thought would be easy to complete then moves on to mostly chips only to complete the card, almost completely ignoring the green cards and only resorting to them if he has no other moves. Once he has enough yellow cards and several points he moves on to reserving blue.

On his first game (and after several games I had played) I suggested that he make sure he knew what he was doing when he started doing this. I reminded him of the rules and gave him some hints on strategy. He didn't listen and kept on reserving. I thought he was trying to sabotage the game. He ended up almost winning with 13 points and it was only dumb luck that gave me the win as he ran out of steam.

Since then he's won a few times using this same strategy. I'd suspect that his win percentage would be greater, but now my wife and I have had to shift our strategies to keep up. Gone are the days when we would lay back and enjoy getting those green cards for free once we got our engine going. Now we usually have a flurry of points much earlier and rarely get the noble cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Except from our interview with the designer (http://meepletown.com/2014/06/game-designer-interview-marc-a...)

----
Q: In our experience in 2-3 player games, only one or at most two cards are bought from the top row, meaning you are stuck with the cards laid at the beginning of the game if you want to buy a Row 3 card. Does this sound accurate to you? Is that an intentional part of the design?

A: In the first games, cards should be bought in a pyramidal way. More Level 1 cards than Level 2 ones, and a few Level 3 at the end of the game. But this is not the only viable strategy.

We’ve been quite surprised in the tournaments played in France, as some people win games with very few cards, and almost no Level 1 cards ! They don’t really build an engine and go for the big points in the last row, being very aggressive with the reservations of cards and acquisition of tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.