Subject: Owning a Gamign Store rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: flgs [+] online_vs_brick&mortar [+] [View All]
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
As I sit here at my summer internship in the physics department toiling over a laser, and a crashed computer, my mind naturally wanders to anywhere but here. And so I wonder, what's it like to own a board game store? What's it like to have your career be "boardgames"? How about just working in a gaming store?

Am I going to abandon my physics career and try to start my own small business? Probably not. It's a nice dream, though, and I'm a bright young kid with a lot of ambition so let's feed that dream, just for a little.

So tell me... is it stressful? What obstacles did you have to overcome? Are you human like the rest of us? Do you bleed when you are cut? Is it fun? Do you go to conventions to trot your wares? Is it a life of high adventure, shady dealings, and ninjas?

Help me break through the myth.

I can only hope there is at least one game store owner out there who can answer this. Snarky comments are also welcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I dont own a game store but you can't just sell games, that's for sure. It seems now a days everyone is ordering them online. My guess would be to run events and board game nights. You really have to seperate yourself and do something different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
galeninjapan wrote:
I dont own a game store but you can't just sell games, that's for sure. It seems now a days everyone is ordering them online. My guess would be to run events and board game nights. You really have to seperate yourself and do something different.

The intrigue and excitement only grows.

I don't even have a gaming store near me to get a taste of that elusive, magical world (not since Wizards left, and I was too young to appreciate them).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Read here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/987339#987339

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Goadrich
United States
Conway
Arkansas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This Games Journal article of Ward Batty's experiences with Batty's Best Comics & Games demistifies many dreams about opening a game store.

http://thegamesjournal.com/articles/OpeningAGameStore.shtml

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick B
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can relate. If one could earn an honest living without spending every hour of the day at it (I'm kind of lazy that way), it would be fun, I think.

Anyway, take a look at this thread when you get a chance:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/117490 (edit: Paul was faster posting this link...)

It made it sound like it is a tough business to start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjas dont go to game conventions, they go to killacon.
http://www.askaninja.com/news/2006/05/01/ask-a-ninja-questio...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Excellent articles, thank you.

The dream can still live on in my head, though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Heaton
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The one complaint that I've heard from almost every game store owner I've ever known is "I never do any gaming any more."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for your reply, Peter, that's exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. I understand that owning a business is tough, awful, horrendous, soul-grinding work. But come on. Gaming business > regular business any day of the week. How could it not be?

Other than the poverty, of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about designing games instead of selling them.

How profitible is it to start and run a game designer/publisher business?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
galeninjapan wrote:
What about designing games instead of selling them.

How profitible is it to start and run a game designer/publisher business?

That depends on far far too many variables to be taken into account here and really needs to be on a case by case basis.

Yes, I have made a nice amount of money working with Adiken. More than most others in similar situations, I would think, and with no cost out of pocket.

However, obviously ventures due fail...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan
United States
Shaker Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mb
BPD, when do you have time to work in a physics lab and dream of owning a game store?

Get back to your WW games!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think my dream job would be to publish games. I've designed a few myself, but only played them with my friends. What kind of profits can be made from designing a medium size game and getting it published?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
galeninjapan wrote:
What kind of profits can be made from designing a medium size game and getting it published?

Again, this is truly a case by case basis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
galeninjapan wrote:
What kind of profits can be made from designing a medium size game and getting it published?

Again, this is truly a case by case basis.

Do you know of any examples?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen De Chellis
United States
New Milford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to get into game design check out -> http://www.bgdf.com/tiki/tiki-custom_home.php

Don't expect to quit your day job and live off of your game design money unless

A) Your name is Reiner Knizia, Alan R. Moon or Klaus Teuber
B) You move to the Yukon where you hunt your own food and only need the royalties to pay for the occasional manufactured goods

There is money to be made but a lot depends on the relationships you build with publishers and how well your game designs are received by the buying public.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For what its worth, nearly every time I go into a board game store in SoCal, I'm always AMAZED that they somehow manage to keep their doors open. They tend to get two kinds of customers: 1.) CCG kids that don't have their allowance yet and only want a cool corner to park their sweaty adolescent bodies in for a few hours while they whisper about whether a Flimflam beats a Boombang, and 2.) adults like me who wander in, marvel at the wondrous products, realize that I can get all of them for at least 20% off online, smile and leave.
Now I think our hobby might be coming on the up & up here soon, but I TOTALLY agree with your first commentator: you need to have an angle. Pure retail doesn't cut it...maybe a coffee/dessert/cocktail bar attachment? With game rentals and used books? And a smoke shop? I think I just described the world's greatest business...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My ideal hybrid retail store would be:

1. about 200 videos, all highly rated. No crap.
2. small cafe with high-margin tasty stuff.
3. live acoustic music
4. gaming tables
5. small but awesome book and magazine section
6. boardgames. Lots of good stuff in the $20 impulse price point.

It would go out of business in about two weeks, of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deleted User
msg tools
badge
Eric Burgess at Boardgame Babylon recently put up two podcasts on FLGSs. The first is with a guy who recently closed his store, and the second is with a guy who just opened his store.

BGB Volume 19 - The Demise and Rise of the FLGS (Friendly Local Game Store), Part 1
http://boardgamebabylon.libsyn.com/index.php?post_id=104576

BGB Volume 21 - The Demise and Rise of the FLGS (Friendly Local Game Store), Part 2
http://boardgamebabylon.libsyn.com/index.php?post_id=112527

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Luthien wrote:
BPD, when do you have time to work in a physics lab and dream of owning a game store?

Get back to your WW games!!!

I'm only in one and a half right now (PotC is basically over!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Shepherd
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Be on your guard. There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.
mb
ulyssus wrote:
For what its worth, nearly every time I go into a board game store in SoCal, I'm always AMAZED that they somehow manage to keep their doors open. They tend to get two kinds of customers: 1.) CCG kids that don't have their allowance yet and only want a cool corner to park their sweaty adolescent bodies in for a few hours while they whisper about whether a Flimflam beats a Boombang, and 2.) adults like me who wander in, marvel at the wondrous products, realize that I can get all of them for at least 20% off online, smile and leave.

I invoke the spirit of DWTripp!

You should buy some games there sometimes, if you want to keep the opportunity to browse games in person. If that is not important to you, more power to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
craniac wrote:
My ideal hybrid retail store would be:

1. about 200 videos, all highly rated. No crap.
2. small cafe with high-margin tasty stuff.
3. live acoustic music
4. gaming tables
5. small but awesome book and magazine section
6. boardgames. Lots of good stuff in the $20 impulse price point.

It would go out of business in about two weeks, of course.

Except for the music that sounds great. I hate playing games with loud muci because half the fun of playing for me is the interaction between people and the jokes that inevitably come.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arcadian Del Sol
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robert Salvatore gave me this advice about writing, and it probably applies to game design as well:

'being a writer means eating peanut butter sandwiches for dinner every day for as long as you can possibly remember. Being a SUCCESSFUL writer means eating peanut butter sandwiches for dinner every day for as long as you can remember, and having the luxury of tuna fish sandwiches for dinner every other Sunday."

In other words: If money is even remotely important to you, don't do it - its not there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E.R. Burgess
United States
Glendora
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fawkes wrote:
Eric Burgess at Boardgame Babylon recently put up two podcasts on FLGSs. The first is with a guy who recently closed his store, and the second is with a guy who just opened his store.

BGB Volume 19 - The Demise and Rise of the FLGS (Friendly Local Game Store), Part 1
http://boardgamebabylon.libsyn.com/index.php?post_id=104576

BGB Volume 21 - The Demise and Rise of the FLGS (Friendly Local Game Store), Part 2
http://boardgamebabylon.libsyn.com/index.php?post_id=112527

Thanks for the links, Fawkes. The third show, with a game store owner who is in the process of selling his store, will be out very shortly.

...Sheylon

www.boardgamebabylon.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.