Karlos Zafra
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
We've been working for a long time in this project and we're finally ready to show it up here. Please check out the rule book in the link below.

We are really interested to know what do you think about the game just by reading the rules. We know there are some cumbersome explanations that we need to polish but we need more feedback of fresh new players.

We have already done a lot of internal playtesting with quite positive feedback and soon we will be able to share a PnP version of the cards for anyone interested.

---
[OVERTAKER]

4 to 8 players| 60 - 90 minutes | Ages 11 and up
Rules v0.7 | https://docs.google.com/document/d/1O5N3dtvl97DRkCGyGj6lB7Gm...|

Introduction
Overtaker is a card game that takes place in the Strange Aeons universe. A world struggling in the aftermath of the Fall: the invasion of primordial creatures that ended the WWII and turned the Earth, one thousand years ago, into an alien world full of horror and wondrous creatures.

Everything is different and disturbingly familiar. Alien gods brought different life forms, different weather, and the remnants of the human civilization are still present, though rapidly fading away into oblivion.

The race
Overtaker takes place across the scorched land once known as United States of America. A handful of adventurers will join this merciless competition across the Chromatic wastelands, the Ruins of New York until conquering glory and riches in the ultimate stage: the deep-one’s Arkham Colony.

The pilots
Players can choose from a wide roster of creatures that inhabit this world. Will you race as a skillful ophidian debonaire, a brave cossack from the Soviet steppes or a crooked cenobite from the Reich’s Black Order?
Each and every one of these adventurers has two clear targets:
be the first to reach the final goal and destroy any chance of survival from the rest

The game
The target of the game is to drive your pilot through the final goal first. Before that you must face the challenges that Overtaker brings upon the pilots:
* Cast dangers and traps to hinder the track
* Gather valuable resources completing side quests and killing dangerous creatures
* Fight against monsters casted by other players
* Reach first to secondary goals and upgrade your vehicle and weapons
* Challenge your pilot skills against your opponents in the ultimate test: the overtaking

Contents
* 8 pilot cards: each one with different skills according to the race and the background.

* 12 stage cards: including special environment rules. Combine them in different ways to get very different developments.

* 66 danger cards: cyclopean insects, uncertain detours, a contact in the oniric lands... anything that can be found in the wastelands of Strange Aeons. Beware the tornado of souls and prepare your mind to resist the Call of Cthulhu.

* 46 trick cards: protect yourself from mischievous tricks, maybe it's time for revenge or just an opportunity to take the lead. Will you use a protecting ritual for your car or sabotage your opponent’s car? Maybe you will be lucky enough to find an oasis just to be stabbed in the back by a betraying friend right after.

* 18 trap cards: drop them and don't look back. Punish your opponents with concealed spiked pits, throw Colors out from space to them or send them to another plane of existence using a dimensional portal.

* 32 upgrade cards: improve the performance of your car and pilot. You can run faster thank to djinn’s alchemic fuel or protect against the mythos with the knowledge found in an arcane tome. Hire Nibelungen engineers to maintain your car or gather help from a Tibetan Exploration Balloon to be your eyes on the sky.

Game Overview
In Overtaker each player controls a pilot and his car. Car tokens are placed on the table to control the flow of the race. During the game, the pilots will cross several stages (3 or more depending on the desired length of the game) trying to be the first at the end of the game.
Stage cards are also placed on the table, along with the car tokens and are used as checkpoint the pilots have to cross. In addition, while being on a certain stage, different special rules will affect the pilots, representing the environmental conditions of that stage. Every time a pilot crosses a stage card, she is allowed to gather supplies and buy upgrades for their cars, in the form of extra gear or useful allies.

During their turn, pilots have a single action that can be spent doing one of the following things:

- Cast a Danger. Danger cards represent challenges the pilots have to face during the race. They can be a mutant monster attacking their car or an old bridge that it’s dangerous to cross. Danger cards have both a reward if they are successfully overcome and a penalty in case they are not. Most common rewards are fuel points which represent how well you are doing in the race. Pilots can cast danger cards on themselves in order to gain benefits or against other pilots hoping to hinder them.

- Cast an Trick. Trick cards trigger a wide variety of effects, sometimes beneficial for the target, sometimes quite the opposite.

- Lay out a Trap. Once they are played, Trap cards are laid behind your car token so following cars have to cross the card. Every time a car crosses the card the owner has to make a test in order to avoid the negative effects of the trap.

- Overtaking. Overtaking actions are used to, well, overtake cars directly in front of one’s pilot. In order to overtake (and defend from an overtake) pilots have to spend some fuel points, so pilots that overcome more dangers and thus are supposed to be doing a better race, will have more chances to overcome other pilots. Overtaking is solved used a simple gambling system in which each pilot decides how many cards to play. More cards can grant more points but if the value of the cards is too high, the action ends in failure. Playing to many or not enough cards will end in a unsuccessful overtaking, so pilots have to think how much they want risk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karlos Zafra
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
These are the first finished artwork we had. They are two Upgrade cards to beef up your vehicle. The card layout will probably change though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Diesel Automaton: there needs to be more contrast in color between the robot and the background. The background is plain enough to not be distracting, but is uninteresting. Given the setting, that may be a missed opportunity. If diesel, I need to see smoke.

Do you have a link to something about Strange Aeons?

The English of the post (I've not yet looked at the rules doc) is poor, awkward and unclear in places. If that is relective of the rules, you need a few more revisions.

Game wise, a lot will depend on stuff I don't see yet. The potential is there, so I hope you refine to get it. I'd hope you'd find a way to run the game with 3 players. I hope you find a way to have interesting characters (races, professions), vehicles, and environments. I think I might want more cards in general, although you have 162 non pilot non stage cards, so that might be enough. Tell me more!

You might want to mention, fluff wise, why the participants are racing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karlos Zafra
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
ThroughTheDeckGlass wrote:
Do you have a link to something about Strange Aeons?

We want to make several posts introducing the universe explaining The Fall, how the earth has been reshaped after 1000 years of primordial dominion, races, magic, etc. Unfortunately english texts are not ready yet.

ThroughTheDeckGlass wrote:
The English of the post (I've not yet looked at the rules doc) is poor, awkward and unclear in places. If that is relective of the rules, you need a few more revisions.

I'm afraid rules doc might have even more issues, because it was translated from the original by amateurs ( that's me ).

We are aware that our english skills are an issue but until we get some funding we can't afford any professional to handle the text. Please, feel free to pinpoint any mistakes and I will fix them the best way I can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.