Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are some basic statistics on my first solitaire play of the three US battles. This week I should have a live opponent for them; and then on to the British beaches. I'm having a great time with the single board two player versions:

AMERICAN AIRBORNE Germans win 9-8. 4 Hours, 12 Turns.

UTAH BEACH US win 12-4. 3 Hours, 8 1/2 Turns.

OMAHA BEACH German win 16-13. 6 Hours 19 Turns.

Well, that takes care of any concern that the Axis can't win! Although I'd like to see them win Utah. Assuming the US placement is historical, the game emphasizes how lucky the US was to land further away from the German Big Gun defenses then was originally planned.

This week I'll have a live opponent and we'll see what happens then.
Thanks to Jesse Rasmussen here and the DOW Forum for early Q&A.

There is no battling going on on the top (German) part of the boards, but placing and racing their reinforcements there is fun. Its odd to have such deep boards without action on so much of them. Maybe someone will design Up From The Beach follow up scenarios using the same maps...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Taber
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my RPG blog at http://www.usandacat.com/thelair!
badge
Work hard, play hard!
mbmbmbmbmb
My sons and I have played through Omaha and Gold. So far both played out just like you describe in the last sentence. The Axis trying to rush troops to the beach and the Allies trying to take the beach. In our latest match on Omaha the Allies won because I could not roll reinforcements and my son was rolling them constantly then getting them onto the beach. The beach was a freakin' traffic jam. I'll post some pics soon...got them at home.

FYI. The beach capture rules have been VITALLY important in both of our runs. In both cases the medals jump on an off as the Axis puts a unit near a beach again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Armada
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played Omaha Beach with my best friend yesterday. He doesn't know Memoir very well.

Americans 5 me
Germans 16 Chris
2 hours 45 min.

I could not get reinforcements, had left flank cards most of the game but could not get any center cards almost the whole game. I was able to penetrate the right flank but then he brought up tank unit and Tank Destroyer unit and pushed me right back onto the beach.

Germans got good reinforcements and were able to rush them to the beach with on the move orders. A great time!

Also played Utah Beach with him

Americans: 12 Chris
Germans: 10 me
3 hours

Americans made it onto beach and took Point du Hoc. However, caused retreats on Big Guns and no kills on the guns. Was able to wipe out Rangers with those guns and I was able to rush infantry reinforcments to the area and retake the hill by the end of the game.

At the beach, Chris got Hobart's Funny reinforcement and was able to remove wire on the beach with it.I was able to get my tanks over and use Armored Assault.Had decent rolls but was unable to destroy his tank units. He counterattacked and destroyed my tanks ending any chance of me preventing him getting off the board for the final 4 medals moving to the Airborne map.

Tony

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John and Tony,

Yes, my final score on Omaha does not reflect how close the game was, exactly because of Beach Control. Its also extremely important for both sides to keep at least one Entry Hex/Landing Craft ready every turn to accept a Reinforcement unit (the Germans lost an early Armored unit when they couldn't bring it in, which is learning the hard way). As the Germans counterattacked with an Armored and a Supported Armored unit at the end of the battle, I noticed that one bluff hex is adjacent to both the right and center beaches. Yikes! If the Germans retake that, it can be Game Over for the USA--and it was!!!

The Americans did get to attack into the woods way over on the left flank with Flame Tanks (as they are not part of Hobart's Funnies, I assumed they were eligible), and finally interdict the German reinforcement road. Flame Tanks in the woods--no wonder the Germans retreated in a hurry! Lots and lots of other interesting stuff happened as well.

I haven't set up the British beaches yet, but am heartened by the photo of one of them on a different thread that has the British way up on the back (top) half of the board, and I hope these beaches use these areas more than the two US beach sectors do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark selleck
Australia
Alice Springs
NT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Armada01 wrote:

At the beach, Chris got Hobart's Funny reinforcement and was able to remove wire on the beach with it.I was able to get my tanks over and use Armored Assault.Had decent rolls but was unable to destroy his tank units. He counterattacked and destroyed my tanks ending any chance of me preventing him getting off the board for the final 4 medals moving to the Airborne map.

Tony

Just a small pick up I noticed, Hobart's funnies can only be called as reinforcements for Sword, Juno and Gold beaches.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just finished my first solitaire plays of the British Scenarios:

Gold Beach: 8 Turns, 2 1/2 Hrs British 14-Germans 4

Juno Beach: 7 1/2 Turns, 3 Hrs British 13-Germans 4

Sword Beach: 16 Turns, 4 Hrs British 17-Germans 3

Time does not include set up, as the US scenario figures above. My games with a live opponent are now changed to the end of this week; we'll be playing all three US maps at once, as I had two more decks of Breakthrough Cards run off at the local print shop!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Armada
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Pick up Mark!

I never noticed that...
Will have to put that in the brain files and hope it doesn't fall out!
laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Hobart Funnies were developed by the British, and offered to the Americans, who refused them. Officially the American high command judged that the special tanks would not be useful in the different terrain conditions on the U.S. beaches. We did use the DD tanks, which mostly floundered in the high tide.

But this was perhaps just part of a trend of us often disparaging our Allies' equipment in general! We never used the superior British Sherman Firefly, for example, as far as I know. One exception was the development of the P-51 Mustang fighter, which only worked well after they installed a British Rolls-Royce Merlin engine into the U.S. design. So even the very successful US-British alliance had its sticky points, both in policy and the use of technical equipment.

Would lives on Utah and especially Omaha have been saved if we'd had some Funnies there? I've never seen anyone write on this topic. Tanks can't climb steep bluffs, but might have been able to help demolish obstacles at the beach exits, provide fire support, and divert some of the murderous incoming German fire from the poor bloody infantry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.