Subject: Rules on the Desert Tiles rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gary Barnett
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to confirm the rules on placing/moving Desert Tiles, which are rather scattered around the rulebook rather than all in one place:

- a person can place their Desert Tile as their action in a round. They may also move their Desert Tile as their action ("If your Desert tile is already on the Game board, you may use this action to move it to a different space (following the same rules)".)

- they may be placed on any empty desert space (except space 1) that is not already adjacent to an existing Desert Tile on the board

- however, once a Desert Tile has been landed on, it can't be moved until the next Leg ("In both cases (ie when an Oasis or Mirage tile has been landed upon), the Desert tile remains on its space (at least until the next Leg scoring round). (I'm not sure what the words "at least" indicate here, since the next rule dictates removal of Desert Tiles at the end of each Leg...)

- all Desert Tiles return to their owners at the end of each Leg. (We missed this one when we played it first!)

One query for completion, I guess - can you simply flip your Desert Tile without moving it?

(However, given the already chaotic nature of the game, I don't really see any reason why you shouldn't house rule leaving the Desert Tiles on the board after a Leg, flipping Desert Tiles in place or indeed moving a Desert Tile after it has been landed on.... Also the designer has already indicated in these threads that a variant that allows placing Desert Tiles next to each other was the original way the game worked and can easily be accommodated if you so wish - see Adjacent Desert Tiles thread)

PS congratulations on the SdJ award - it certainly is a fun family game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
This part of game plays much better if you scrap the "no infinite loop" rule, and play to just ignore any tile a camel is bounced onto.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg R.
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When we demoed this at GenCon the demonstrator told us we could not place desert tiles on a space that already had a camel unit on it.

Is this your understanding also?

I also love this game as good family fun, especially if you don't take it too seriously

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alan beaumont
United Kingdom
LONDON
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What he said
thehun wrote:
When we demoed this at GenCon the demonstrator told us we could not place desert tiles on a space that already had a camel unit on it.
Is this your understanding also?
True.

Other tricky point: You can't flip your tile, it must always be moved to a different space if you decide to change it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alfred Musil
Austria
vienna
flag msg tools

I think there is a Problem in the game-rules:
what is to do if NOBODY wants to make the last diceroll and every Player place his desert-tile again and again....there is NO ending possible so....but allowed??

greetings
Alfred

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Barnett
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alfred93 wrote:

what is to do if NOBODY wants to make the last diceroll and every Player place his desert-tile again and again....there is NO ending possible so....but allowed??

greetings
Alfred

Only if none of those tiles have been landed on. If any have been landed on, that person can no longer move their tile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
alfred93 wrote:

greetings
Alfred
That's not a problem with the game, that's a problem with the players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alan beaumont
United Kingdom
LONDON
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rule Slips
barnetto wrote:
alfred93 wrote:

what is to do if NOBODY wants to make the last diceroll and every Player place his desert-tile again and again....

Only if none of those tiles have been landed on. If any have been landed on, that person can no longer move their tile.
Errr... if a tile is landed on the camel(s) will slide off forward or backwards, so a tile can't be pinned.

On the aspect of the game freezing, taking the £1 for rolling the dice is what stops all the players feeling that moving a tile (= doing nothing) is the best move, even though it might be for some.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Barnett
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
misteralan wrote:
barnetto wrote:
alfred93 wrote:

what is to do if NOBODY wants to make the last diceroll and every Player place his desert-tile again and again....

Errr... if a tile is landed on the camel(s) will slide off forward or backwards, so a tile can't be pinned.

I'm only quoting the rules.... (Page 3, section 3, shaded area entitled "Desert Tiles", last line starting, "In both cases..."). Nothing to do with pinning. I did say the rules are rather dotted around, hence the post in the first place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Bigmore
England
Abingdon
Oxon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
barnetto wrote:
- however, once a Desert Tile has been landed on, it can't be moved until the next Leg ("In both cases (ie when an Oasis or Mirage tile has been landed upon), the Desert tile remains on its space (at least until the next Leg scoring round). (I'm not sure what the words "at least" indicate here, since the next rule dictates removal of Desert Tiles at the end of each Leg...)

I think the section you quote is just badly worded, and is simply meant to say the tile isn't removed just because it paid out. The tile being "stuck" for the rest of the leg once it's paid out doesn't seem to be in the spirit of the game.

If the rule was as you say, it should be explicitly mentioned in the section concerning its place and movement. Furthermore, there's no dedicated method for recording that the tile has been landed on - not an insurmountable problem, but a bit fiddly for a light family game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Barnett
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bigland wrote:
barnetto wrote:

I think the section you quote is just badly worded, and is simply meant to say the tile isn't removed just because it paid out. The tile being "stuck" for the rest of the leg once it's paid out doesn't seem to be in the spirit of the game.

If the rule was as you say, it should be explicitly mentioned in the section concerning its place and movement. Furthermore, there's no dedicated method for recording that the tile has been landed on - not an insurmountable problem, but a bit fiddly for a light family game.

I don't disagree with you on the spirit of the game. Indeed, you'll see in the original post I suggested that all sorts of "house rules" could be applied to the use of these tiles without any detriment and quite possibly to the benefit of the game. Quite possibly it is better to play the game allowing them to be moved even after having been landed on.

And certainly I can see where you are coming from with the suggestion that it is just a badly worded statement that you just leave the tile in place after it has been landed on... but having just reread it, it really is very, very badly worded if that is the case! The fact that it goes out of its way to say specifically it remains in place "until the next Leg scoring round" seems to me to militate against this suggestion.

(It reads: "In both cases, the Desert tile remains on its space (at least until the next Leg scoring round).") (Indeed there are other problems with this sentence - what is "at least" doing in there?))

The German version reads: "In beiden Fällen bleibt das Wüstenplättchen auch weiterhin auf seinem Feld liegen (zumindest bis zur nächsten Etappenwertung)." For what it's worth, google translate suggests: "In both cases, the desert platelets remains continue to be on his field (at least until the next stage of evaluation)." This seems to support the "must leave it there until the next scoring round".

But ultimately it's one of those games where I think you just play it how you want to - it's so chaotic, it's not worth worrying about any "balance" issues!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Bronswijk
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The wording might be ambiguous, but it is still allowed to move the desert tile with one action. Elsewhere the rules would explicitly say something like "moving of a desert tile is not allowed once a camel has been landed on" or similar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am still unclear on this rule.

There Are two contradictory statements.

1. You can move a tile to a different space.
2. After a camel lands on a tile, it remains on its space at least until the next round.

So... Which is it?

Can you move the tiles or not?

I will simply assume rule 2 is - as stated above - bad wording. Rule 1 always applies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Bronswijk
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As already answered above, you are guessing right: Rule 1 is correct, rule 2 is a bad wording.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wisser
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Yes, I know "faith" is misspelled ;)
mbmbmbmbmb
At least the back-and-forth here isn't as embarrassing as the mistake we made.

For some reason, it didn't click with my gaming group that the desert tiles return to the players at the end of the leg, so they would be out there all game - in fact, it's impossible to lay out all 8 players tiles, so it would be the first action we took, and we'd always put out the -1 side, so that the option to land on it multiple times would be possible. I just recently discovered the problem and everyone is relieved that it finally makes sense. Lol!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David M
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about when a group of camels lands on a desert tile?

Let's say I've placed my desert tile, then a group of 3 camels lands on it. Do I get 3 coins or 1 coin?

I've played both, and the 3 coins option (in the above example) seems much more exciting as it can really swing the game.

I also like being able to place tiles next to each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Amick
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davymast wrote:

Let's say I've placed my desert tile, then a group of 3 camels lands on it. Do I get 3 coins or 1 coin?

I've played both, and the 3 coins option (in the above example) seems much more exciting as it can really swing the game.

The rules explicitly say you get one coin when a camel unit (defined as one or more camels in a stack) lands on a desert tile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David M
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ericamick2 wrote:
davymast wrote:

The rules explicitly say you get one coin when a camel unit (defined as one or more camels in a stack) lands on a desert tile.

Thanks! I guess we can do the "as many coins as camels" rule as a house rule. It's a lot of fun

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Lam
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have I been misinterpreting the rules wrong this entire time?

I have been playing (a house rule I guess) that once a tile is placed during the leg the owner cannot move it anymore. I am actually not sure why you would want to jockey them around and I think this would hurt the game.

We have never come into a standoff type situation and by playing under this rule it increases the risk/reward type feel in that you can place your tile early but you will miss out on betting cards but have the potential for a few coins during the leg. You are also effectively blocking out other opportunities to place tiles due to the adjacency rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.