A Fool's Fortune» Forums » Rules

Subject: The Muse - Lock Ability rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
pensare33 Sam
United States
flag msg tools
mb
I am very much enjoying this game and exploring all of the various interactions of the characters.

A question arose at yesterday's game that I cannot answer. Perhaps someone here could be of assistance?

The Muse's flash ability is to "Lock a Fate". I am having trouble interpreting what this means.

There is the Fate deck which is the draw deck. Does this mean that your opponent would not be able to draw a card on their turn?

Or is it like in MTG where you can exile a card from your opponent's hand? But then, who chooses the card?

Any help is appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My Muse says "LOCK Fate for a Rival's next Morning" which given the definition of Lock (p28) seems clear to me - the rival can't draw from the deck (Fate) during the morning phase of their next turn (so they won't be able to draw cards to take them up to their three card hand size, and they won't get their extra card allowance).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pensare33 Sam
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for the reply, Kim. That makes sense. I found a photo of the Muse card here on BGG and that is what it says as well. Perhaps I simply did not read the ability thoroughly.

If I may ask one follow-up question. The engage ability for The Muse says "Draw 1 Fate - you may use her Trick & Charms together". The skilled character abilities are called "talents" and "strikes" in the rulebook. What is the "Trick & Charms" referring to?

Thanks again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My copy says "Draw 1 Fate - you may combine her Talent and Charmed ability"

My reading of this (which might be wrong, of course) is that if the Muse character has a Charmed ability (because of the fees that have been paid for that character) then if you engage the character you get to draw two cards - one due to their Charmed ability and one due to their Talent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pensare33 Sam
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for the reply.

I will check to see how my card reads when I get home.

This is the card photo from BGG:

[ImageID=http://cf.geekdo-images.com/images/pic1519277.jpg]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
pensare33 wrote:
Thanks for the reply.

I will check to see how my card reads when I get home.

This is the card photo from BGG:

[ImageID=http://cf.geekdo-images.com/images/pic1519277.jpg]

I'd guess that was a prototype version. Here's a photo of my card:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the Brothers Crow
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
hello folks:

the prototype "trick & charm" text is interesting... as the designer, it got me wondering as to when that prototype existed! hmmm.

anyhow,
Kim has hit the nail on the Head in both regards. If the Muse has a Charmed Fate & if you Engage her, you may Draw 2 cards from Fate... one for her Charm & one for her talent.

Other character's were going to get this Combine Ability mechanic but things were getting a bit unwieldy so we held off until a (hopeful) expansion.

As for why the Muse Locks Fate for only the morning... this was one of the last Skilled Abilities to be honed in on & a tricky one at that. We felt she was too powerful to Lock Fate for the whole Day... in other words, if your Rival had a Character with a Charmed Ability, they could sidestep the Muse's Lock & use that Charmed Ability to draw a card, since Abilities are used in the Afternoon & not the Morning. This way there was some way around her rather powerful Strike Ability.

anyhow... thanks for the questions & responses all!

Cheers,

JP
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.