Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » General

Subject: Projected Stasis Field rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
a g
United States
flag msg tools

What do some of you folks think of the Klingon Projected Stasis Field? I used it over the weekend to great affect.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Patrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
I used it exactly once. It was during the Collective OP 1. It was great for knocking out the shields but my subsequent 10 combined die attack rolls landed exactly 4 hits including re-rolls. Disgusted at my ability to generate even a modicum of luck, I proceeded to pout and never use it again.

Now that I am over it, I will be using it again. Used correctly (and with the dice on your side), it is a decent equalizer.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ex8404 wrote:
I used it exactly once. It was during the Collective OP 1. It was great for knocking out the shields but my subsequent 10 combined die attack rolls landed exactly 4 hits including re-rolls. Disgusted at my ability to generate even a modicum of luck, I proceeded to pout and never use it again.

Now that I am over it, I will be using it again. Used correctly (and with the dice on your side), it is a decent equalizer.


I worry about this tactic because I sometimes build dreadnoughts, but I'm thinking a 80 point dreadnought and a fighter squadron could dispose of the ship with Stasis Field if he used it since he has no shields either and cannot be cloaked, right?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel van de Laar
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The biggest danger to a three ship Klingon fleet is going against a build that tosses lots of dice in an alpha strike - potentially taking out one of the klingon ships before it has a chance to fire.

Because the PSF goes off in the action round, you can overcome this sort of alpha strike by zapping the big ship, and focusing all your fire on it that round. Ideally, you couple the PSF with something that either gangs crew (just in case) or disables the captain (like Chang) - but that isn't always necessary or cost effective.

The point is, the alpha strike is put off for a round, and you have all three guns to focus fire on the offending ship - all of your damage going to the hull. Unless you roll poorly, this should be enough to take the "one" ship most likely to do the most damage. Your opponent is hoping to stifle the three ship synergy by taking one out before it even gets to shoot.

I include this in my build when I know I will be facing someone with a Klingon buster build (Your standard, Picard/Kirk pumping up the attack with a flagship, and Scotty/Spock, etc.) 7 or 8 dice with re-rolls and battle stations have a good chance of taking out a cloaked Klingon Ship - even a Negh'Var.

It's a one trick pony, but it's a pretty good trick and even if you don't need it in every situation, you're not really suffering for having it along. I built a fleet for an OP event this past Saturday specifically intended to deal with this scenario, but it never came up - I still won the OP, and that PSF came in handy in every battle.

DANVAN
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel van de Laar
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:
ex8404 wrote:
I used it exactly once. It was during the Collective OP 1. It was great for knocking out the shields but my subsequent 10 combined die attack rolls landed exactly 4 hits including re-rolls. Disgusted at my ability to generate even a modicum of luck, I proceeded to pout and never use it again.

Now that I am over it, I will be using it again. Used correctly (and with the dice on your side), it is a decent equalizer.


I worry about this tactic because I sometimes build dreadnoughts, but I'm thinking a 80 point dreadnought and a fighter squadron could dispose of the ship with Stasis Field if he used it since he has no shields either and cannot be cloaked, right?


To use it you have to disable shields, but you do that in the Action phase, so by the time the combat phase comes, the ship you're disabling cannot fire back. It's a gamble of course - if there are other ships around, the ship doing the PSF is a sitting duck, with no shields, but if you're going against a dreadnaught, that's a chance worth taking for some.

DANVAN
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ginever
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
With my defense dice rolling it generally makes little difference whether my ships have used the PSF or cloaked, I generally make the same number of evades.

How do you generally run the PSF? On a cheap carrier ship like the gro'th or a raptor (and just write it off), or on one of your larger ships like a Vor'cha or Negh'var and hope it survives?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel van de Laar
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Spiney_Norman wrote:
With my defense dice rolling it generally makes little difference whether my ships have used the PSF or cloaked, I generally make the same number of evades.

How do you generally run the PSF? On a cheap carrier ship like the gro'th or a raptor (and just write it off), or on one of your larger ships like a Vor'cha or Negh'var and hope it survives?


The ship that uses it has two less attack dice that round. I typically slap it on a K'Vort which sits on a flagship that gives +1 attack dice to allies in range 1-2, leaving the other two ships (Vor'Chas usually) to TL and shoot - they get six dice, or seven if they're in close, And the K'vort get's three or four depending on range.

The K'Vort is played like a support ship, giving the other ships the +1 Attack dice, and bringing on the PSF - but it gets 4 dice regular, and one more for the flagship, so it is no slouch.

That's what I do at least.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Spiney_Norman wrote:
With my defense dice rolling it generally makes little difference whether my ships have used the PSF or cloaked, I generally make the same number of evades.

How do you generally run the PSF? On a cheap carrier ship like the gro'th or a raptor (and just write it off), or on one of your larger ships like a Vor'cha or Negh'var and hope it survives?


This is hard to figure since you can't do this while you are cloaked and Klingons have lousy evade dice when not cloaked. A small Klingon ship will be one shotted (at least can be) by a normal Fed ship or a fighter squadron.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ginever
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Danvan wrote:
Spiney_Norman wrote:
With my defense dice rolling it generally makes little difference whether my ships have used the PSF or cloaked, I generally make the same number of evades.

How do you generally run the PSF? On a cheap carrier ship like the gro'th or a raptor (and just write it off), or on one of your larger ships like a Vor'cha or Negh'var and hope it survives?


The ship that uses it has two less attack dice that round. I typically slap it on a K'Vort which sits on a flagship that gives +1 attack dice to allies in range 1-2, leaving the other two ships (Vor'Chas usually) to TL and shoot - they get six dice, or seven if they're in close, And the K'vort get's three or four depending on range.

The K'Vort is played like a support ship, giving the other ships the +1 Attack dice, and bringing on the PSF - but it gets 4 dice regular, and one more for the flagship, so it is no slouch.

That's what I do at least.


I usually use the klingon flagship for the free cloak action, I've not really used the Indy ones since their range is limited to 1, which means you have to fly a really tight formation. I might explore a k'vort flagship, so far my go to ships for flagships in a klingon fleet have been the Somraw and Negh'var.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel van de Laar
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Spiney_Norman wrote:

I usually use the klingon flagship for the free cloak action, I've not really used the Indy ones since their range is limited to 1, which means you have to fly a really tight formation. I might explore a k'vort flagship, so far my go to ships for flagships in a klingon fleet have been the Somraw and Negh'var.


I tend to fly the flagship with a Vor'Cha or Negh'Var on either side. Given the strength of a three klingon fleet is having all three ships fire on the same ship each round, they tend to be close enough without having to worry about it.

I should correct myself though - you can't get 7 dice with the (edit) ships accompanying the (/edit) flagship, as it only gives +1 attack dice at ranges 2-3.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Percival
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
I think what they're trying to point out is that the PSF carrier can't be cloaked to use PSF.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ginever
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
aaron2310 wrote:
I think what they're trying to point out is that the PSF carrier can't be cloaked to use PSF.


I've been wondering about that, could you do something like

Klingon flagship with PSF, Konmel and at least a skill 8 captain (say khan)

Activate Martok on a separate ship first and use his free action to pop the PSF.

Then activate the flagship, use Konmel to put a shield back up and then use the free flagship action to cloak the ship.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Percival
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
I believe repaired shields come back active. But you'd have had to have taken damage first for him to have a shield to repair.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.