Sonia
France
Losne
Bourgogne
flag msg tools
badge
Good grief!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I'm a registered labrat for Laboratory and I really wanted to get to grip with the game! meeple As to the rulebook (version 2.4), I've found a few things confusing (although English is not my first language, I've lived and worked for 10 years in the UK):

1) it is not explained what the top number in a randonomicon card is (the video tells us this is Knowledge, but it's not evident from the rulebook), we have to understand that there is also a cost involved on occasions (in the 2nd section of the card) and players may confuse the two numbers.

2) from the rulebook, on the deck construction page, I've built my 2P deck from the top down, starting with "living mummies", followed by 2s, etc. Is this correct? Could the rulebook be more specific, i.e. indicate: Arkham threats face up, starting with €, 2, 2, €2, etc.?

3) if players have to do 3 actions, could we get an algorithm (in clear, simple English) for each of the many actions available in the game, including when a card is either discarded and/or flipped over, acted on, and/or swapped?

4) in the video, there seems to be some collaboration between the two players, like the passing of Knowledge from one to the other in a same location, to discard threat - this is not indicated in the rulebook. Is there a potential for collaborative in a single location by players? If so, how does it count in terms of action number by the player passing on Knowledge? Shouldn't it be taken off on said player's turn as -1 Action?

5) Is there a possibility to have solo play rules? goo

Thanks!

P.s. The Laboratory labrats site appears to be down, for some reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Alfke
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
soniaandree wrote:
in the video, there seems to be some collaboration between the two players, like the passing of Knowledge from one to the other in a same location, to discard threat - this is not indicated in the rulebook.

The rule book (v2.4, top of page 6) says "If a player’s Character Token is at the same Location as another, they may spend an Action to Give any resources at their disposal to that player. Resources a player may give are the Ring of Shadows, Knowledge, Muscle, and any items they possess."

soniaandree wrote:
5) Is there a possibility to have solo play rules?

This was asked in a comment on the KS site -- the answer is just to use the regular rules and play each character yourself in turn. (This pretty much goes for any co-op game.)

--Jens
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laboratory
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmb
Labrats site has been fixed. Sorry it was down for the weekend. Programming mistake. My bad.

1) The top number is used for multiple things. Random numbers (like gaining Knowledge or Muscle from Minnie's or Arkham PD respectively) and determining random players (count, starting at 0 from the player who is drawing the card).

2) It sounds like you did it correctly. It's hard to explain. We'll work on that. Arkham face up. Elder card every 3 cards.

3) Only Actions listed on the Player Action Reference count as Actions. So that should be all you need.

4) You can Give as an Action, which allows you to pass whatever resources you like. Sam and I didn't play that game perfectly, it's possible what you're citing was a mistake. There are Items that let players take Actions out of turn, but in general you can't go in to Action debt.

5) As Jens said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sonia
France
Losne
Bourgogne
flag msg tools
badge
Good grief!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for the clarification! goo I am most pleased about the answers, you helped me understand the bits I wasn't sure of! Cheers! meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.